What exactly do you think you are going to prove?

Published July 22nd, 2011 by Bobby Henderson

What exactly do you think you are going to prove? it’s just disrespectful to other human beings faiths and beliefs, and im sure u of all people should know u can’t put any sense into say a devout christian. Honestly, what your doing is the equivalant of making a rude, sarcastic joke to a child that doesn’t understand humor. u cant tell a christian thats been raised from birth to believe that there’s a magic man in the clouds that he’s wrong. you’ll just get what uve been getting, hate mail, and death threats. God is the equivalant of santa exept the child is never told he isn’t real until it’s to late. and u think your doing a good thing by making up this pastafarian crap to prove how absurd the idea of god is. what i don’t think u understand is that u cant argue with idiots about this stuff as most christians are dont know a thing about science.(I apoligize to all respectable christian scientists). as an athiest, im disgusted what youre doing. like making fun of christians being killed by somali’s, and u quoting, "apparently they thought there god could give them safe passage"(yes ive read ur website). really, did it ever, or does it ever occur to you that these people are actually human being’s with family’s and feeling’s, and just because they think the world was created  differantly than u, u have to mock them… that’s kind of a dick move. your being no better than they are(religious people) by making fun of and disrespecting other people just ’cause they think differantly than u. oh wait u are religous, u worship a flying spaggetti monster. which means i have the right to ridicule u on how stupid your dumbfuck religion is(oh may the great pasta diety forgive me for my sin) and dont deny that u worship the all mighty pasta king, because your the leader of the church. with the true words of your religion written on a piece of paper. it’s ironic that u, by trying to prove how bad religion is. go about it by u yourself inbodying everything that is wrong with human beliefs. u are everything that is wrong with athiesm. u go around acting all superior and pompus, like u know better than everyone else and tell them why there wrong mockingly. the world would be a better place if u took all your "followers" (butt pirates) got on a pirate ship and ate spaggetti until you all died of overeating.have u ever heard the term live and let live? and i love it how  u post all the hate mail u get on a your page to be ridiculed by your cronies( who by the way need to get of the internet and do something productive)yes we all the the bible huggars are gonna say dumb stuff because they’re uneducated. but that doesn’t mean u have to be immature and make fun of there faults so just lay off. even though this message sounds hostile just know i agree with what your’e trying to do (i think) educating people, i just wholly disagree with how u are going about it.

-David

A short response from Bobby:

It’s not our intention to mock or offend anyone. But I realize people sometimes feel mocked  or offended.

It might be fair to say that we’re disrespectful.  I would agree that most Pastafarians don’t respect the notion that religion should sit on a pedestal.  We don’t think that because an action is explained in the context of religion it is exempt from the scrutiny it otherwise would have been subjected to.  Religion is not a free pass for crazy ideas and crazy actions.

I would agree that it’s not our place to pass judgment on those who see the world through a lens of religion.  But neither is it our place to ignore when personal belief becomes public action.  We can accept that some choose to teach their kids the earth is 6000 years old and that dinosaurs are a myth.  But if they push for those ideas to be taught in our schools, it’s no longer a question of respecting personal belief.

The idea that rational minded people must be anti-religion is a wrong one, I think.   If we must draw a line to divide ourselves, I’d prefer the line be positioned between reasonable and unreasonable people, rather than religious and non-religious people.

It’s one thing to see the world through a lens, and another thing to act as if it’s the only lens that can exist.

I believe there is no group more tolerant of other religious and nonreligious groups than Pastafarians, without question.  The death of the Christian sailors by pirates was a sad thing for everyone who heard of it, I’m sure.  My hope is that it doesn’t happen again.  The hard question is:  will criticizing the decision to venture into dangerous areas on the basis of faith help avoid a similar situation in the future?  I don’t know the answer.  But I wonder how many of their friends and family wish they had shaken them and said this is a bad idea, don’t do this.  This is one of the hard questions – this line between respect and concern.

793 Responses to “What exactly do you think you are going to prove?”

1 15 16 17 18 19 27
  1. Nameless says:

A line between the unreasonable and reasonable? Try again. There are no reasonable people.

2. Sam says:

Any letter without at least an attempt at correct grammar and spelling should just be ignored. It makes the argument so much less effective when they use text language, as well.

• Keith says:

I agree, especially with the comment about text language. I tend to ignore such messages as it takes too much effort to work out what is being said.

• Mark Carter says:

Amen, Sam – if the man can’t spell teh word “you:, then – !

• Mark Carter says:

Yes, I’m one to talk, my fingers always spell the word THE wrong when I type! But you know what I mean, I think! Long live Pastafarianism!

3. devout athiest says:

if leave religion to itself, it wont return the favor. perhaps there are many who are religious just for being religious, just to worship their respected gods, or whatever. i mean, i believe that freedom of religion is important, but with a population of 7 billion people, there will always be people taking it to the extreme. terrorist bombings. abortion-doctor killings. the crusades. There are too many of these examples too list. even these people who will leave u alone, who r just religious for religions sake, arent they too committing a crime? is forcing ur child to pray every day, stating the existence of god as fact before their child’s mind is capable of reasoning of that level, telling them if they think anything different, they will burn for an eternity, is that truly freedom of religion? telling their children they cant be who they are? shifting the balance of world governments so that everyone must live by their religious code?. Is that really freedom of religion? Those who claim that religion is oppressed, take a step back, and u might see that ur the real oppressors. i believe this is what Pastafarianism is truly against. those with

4. Kahu says:

man this is one angry athiest i want to see him rant on a religous site like scientology but he probly wont because he respects true religions like that one

• Mark Carter says:

I have a quote here from a Providence Journal writer named Ben Barber; it concerns Islam, but I think there’s a universality that it adheres to that I think might help:

“Islam and other religions agree that this world was intentionally created in all its diversity, like a field full of many different kinds of flowers. Each religion and culture contributes to the glory of the world and should compete in good works. In fact the extremists who fight those of other faiths are putting themselves above the God that they believe created this diverse world.”

That said I have just found out about Pastafarianism YESTERDAY and am enthralled with the concept. I can’t wait to read the book.
      Peace and love to you all,
      Mark

5. Lindsey says:

“What exactly do you think you are going to prove? It’s just disrespectful to other human beings’ faiths and beliefs, and I’m sure that you of all people know that you can’t put any sense into, say, a devout Christian. Honestly, what you’re doing is the equivalant of making a rude, sarcastic joke to a child that doesn’t understand humor. You can’t tell a Christian, that has been raised from birth to believe that there’s a magic man in the clouds, that he’s wrong. You’ll just get what you’ve been getting: hate mail and death threats. God is the equivalant of santa except that the child is not told he isn’t real until it’s to late. You think you’re doing a good thing by making up this pastafarian crap to prove how absurd the idea of God is. What I don’t think you understand is that you can’t argue with idiots about this stuff. Most Christians don’t know a thing about science (I apoligize to all respectable Christian scientists). As an Athiest, I’m disgusted what you’re doing. Like making fun of Christians being killed by Somali’s, and you quoting, “apparently they thought their God could give them safe passage”(yes, I have read your website). Did it ever, or does it ever, occur to you that these people are actually human beings with families and feelings, and that just because they think the world was created differently than you, you have to mock them… That’s kind of a dick move. You’re being no better than they (religious people) are by making fun of and disrespecting other people just because they think differently than you. Oh, wait, you are religious, you worship a flying spaghetti monster. Which means I have the right to ridicule you on how stupid your dumbfuck religion is (oh may the great pasta diety forgive me for my sin). And don’t deny that you worship the all mighty pasta king, because you’re the leader of the church. With the true words of your religion written on a piece of paper, it’s ironic that you, by trying to prove how bad religion is, go about it by you yourself embodying everything that is wrong with human beliefs. You are everything that is wrong with Athiesm. You go around acting all superior and pompous, like you know better than everyone else and tell them why they’re wrong, mockingly. The world would be a better place if you took all of your “followers” (butt pirates), got on a pirate ship, and ate spaghetti until you all died from overeating. Have you ever heard the term ‘live and let live’? I love how you post all the hate mail you get on your page to be ridiculed by your cronies (who by the way need to get off the internet and do something productive). Yes, all the the bible-huggers are going to say dumb stuff because they’re uneducated, but that doesn’t mean you have to be immature and make fun of their faults, so just lay off. Even though this message sounds hostile, just know that I agree with what you’re trying to do (I think) educating people, I just wholly disagree with how you are going about it.

-David”

Now, if David had wanted to sound like a semi-educated individual, he would have said something more along these lines. It bothers me that he called others uneducated when he can’t even make sense himself. I see nothing wrong with what you are doing here, you don’t send hate mail to Christian groups or Muslim groups or whatever other religious groups. It’s just a point being proven, which apparently people are missing.

• CUT & PASTE says:

Dear Lindsey, now that you’ve mastered cut-and-paste, try writing something original.

• Ernie Lundquist says:

Just a little note about grammar. The word “that” , when used as “people that”, “a child that”, or “Christians that”; probably should be replaced with “who”. Many people use “that” for objects and “who” for people. Except lawyers – use “lawyers that”. I don’t think of them as people.

6. Bucatini says:

Wow, this guy sure knows about paragraphs and has decided to condense everything into one. RAmen. Why is it most hate mailers are oblivious to written English structure?

• Keith says:

It is difficult to concentrate on anything when you are foaming at the mouth and falling over backwards every thirty seconds.

7. Cat says:

I believe David is also rather homophobic… not all Pirates are Butt Pirates David, just the ones that realise that a parrot and a peg leg would truly complete the outfit and that a cutlass isn’t outdated… it’s vintage!!!

I’d like to see this institution write to the Australian Government regarding gay marriage… according to the government it is against religion and if we allow it we have to allow polygamy and guess what the argument against polygamy is… yup against religion and if we allow it we’d have to allow same sex marriages. What morons! Please feel free to write to them to point out the flaws in their arguments!

In HIM we trust!

• Keith says:

The trouble is that if the Mad Monk becomes prime minister the gay marriage issue will be sent back to the 19th century (in fact, just about everything will be sent back to the 19th century). It was bad enough when Howard was prime miniature.

8. Royce says:

David, regarding your original post. You will be more believable if you learn to spell and get that grammar thing down. Please, dude, go to a garage sale, get some old textbooks, like from your sophomore year in high school, and dust them off.

• TheFewTheProudTheMarinara says:

Yep. Nothing so irksome as being preached to by a moron.

1 15 16 17 18 19 27