What exactly do you think you are going to prove?

Published July 22nd, 2011 by Bobby Henderson

What exactly do you think you are going to prove? it’s just disrespectful to other human beings faiths and beliefs, and im sure u of all people should know u can’t put any sense into say a devout christian. Honestly, what your doing is the equivalant of making a rude, sarcastic joke to a child that doesn’t understand humor. u cant tell a christian thats been raised from birth to believe that there’s a magic man in the clouds that he’s wrong. you’ll just get what uve been getting, hate mail, and death threats. God is the equivalant of santa exept the child is never told he isn’t real until it’s to late. and u think your doing a good thing by making up this pastafarian crap to prove how absurd the idea of god is. what i don’t think u understand is that u cant argue with idiots about this stuff as most christians are dont know a thing about science.(I apoligize to all respectable christian scientists). as an athiest, im disgusted what youre doing. like making fun of christians being killed by somali’s, and u quoting, "apparently they thought there god could give them safe passage"(yes ive read ur website). really, did it ever, or does it ever occur to you that these people are actually human being’s with family’s and feeling’s, and just because they think the world was created  differantly than u, u have to mock them… that’s kind of a dick move. your being no better than they are(religious people) by making fun of and disrespecting other people just ’cause they think differantly than u. oh wait u are religous, u worship a flying spaggetti monster. which means i have the right to ridicule u on how stupid your dumbfuck religion is(oh may the great pasta diety forgive me for my sin) and dont deny that u worship the all mighty pasta king, because your the leader of the church. with the true words of your religion written on a piece of paper. it’s ironic that u, by trying to prove how bad religion is. go about it by u yourself inbodying everything that is wrong with human beliefs. u are everything that is wrong with athiesm. u go around acting all superior and pompus, like u know better than everyone else and tell them why there wrong mockingly. the world would be a better place if u took all your "followers" (butt pirates) got on a pirate ship and ate spaggetti until you all died of overeating.have u ever heard the term live and let live? and i love it how  u post all the hate mail u get on a your page to be ridiculed by your cronies( who by the way need to get of the internet and do something productive)yes we all the the bible huggars are gonna say dumb stuff because they’re uneducated. but that doesn’t mean u have to be immature and make fun of there faults so just lay off. even though this message sounds hostile just know i agree with what your’e trying to do (i think) educating people, i just wholly disagree with how u are going about it.

-David

A short response from Bobby:

It’s not our intention to mock or offend anyone. But I realize people sometimes feel mocked  or offended.

It might be fair to say that we’re disrespectful.  I would agree that most Pastafarians don’t respect the notion that religion should sit on a pedestal.  We don’t think that because an action is explained in the context of religion it is exempt from the scrutiny it otherwise would have been subjected to.  Religion is not a free pass for crazy ideas and crazy actions.

I would agree that it’s not our place to pass judgment on those who see the world through a lens of religion.  But neither is it our place to ignore when personal belief becomes public action.  We can accept that some choose to teach their kids the earth is 6000 years old and that dinosaurs are a myth.  But if they push for those ideas to be taught in our schools, it’s no longer a question of respecting personal belief.

The idea that rational minded people must be anti-religion is a wrong one, I think.   If we must draw a line to divide ourselves, I’d prefer the line be positioned between reasonable and unreasonable people, rather than religious and non-religious people.

It’s one thing to see the world through a lens, and another thing to act as if it’s the only lens that can exist.

I believe there is no group more tolerant of other religious and nonreligious groups than Pastafarians, without question.  The death of the Christian sailors by pirates was a sad thing for everyone who heard of it, I’m sure.  My hope is that it doesn’t happen again.  The hard question is:  will criticizing the decision to venture into dangerous areas on the basis of faith help avoid a similar situation in the future?  I don’t know the answer.  But I wonder how many of their friends and family wish they had shaken them and said this is a bad idea, don’t do this.  This is one of the hard questions – this line between respect and concern.

683 Responses to “What exactly do you think you are going to prove?”

1 14 15 16 17 18 25
  1. Steven says:

Bobby, u r my hero. Righteous, dude, righteous.

2. Holly says:

While I partially agree with David, I am offended by the fact that the letter is in no way professional. If you are going to make a statement, do it right. Use the word ‘you’ instead of ‘u’. Yes it takes an extra half a second to type, but in the end, it is more proffesional and it keeps you from looking like a total idiot.

• Mal says:

But if he didn’t look like a total idiot, we might be confused and think he was presenting a legitimate, well organized argument.

That looks even funnier typed out than it did in my head.

• nun s equator says:

if u have never lookd like a total ‘idiot’ in ur life, even 4 a few seconds, u probably have not lived.
        that being said, i must b doing more living than i give self credit, 4, then. in my unprofessional opinion.

• Mal says:

Looking like a total idiot and actually being a total idiot are two very different things. I’ve looked like an idiot a lot, but all that did was lull my enemies into a false sense of security until I beat them senseless (metaphorically, of course. I would love to be able to beat sense into people, but I would never want to beat it out of them).

The majority of the hate-mail received on this sight leaves us little choice but to assume these people are total idiots and not just looking the part. I would love for one of them to come prove me wrong though.

• nun s equator says:

Ok..well, if u r treated as if u r lacking, 4 long enuf, in my experience it has amounted 2 the same thing…& i was going 2 respond 2 the beatings statement by pointing out that many people on the receiving end of these have no idea y it is happening, it becomes an exercise in futility & i m speaking of actual abuse…not the kind i hope u r referring 2, which i presume u r being not literal…let me go climb back in2 my troll hole now. good luck with ur paper i saw u r mentioning writing on another thread, i hope it does not offend any of ur fellow students, because not every1 is stable & i like 4 people 2 b safe…can i suggest a different emphasis, like maybe why religion isnt everything its cracked up 2 b?

• nun s equator says:

Mal, this suggestion= in no way a veiled threat (about ur papers title)! I kid u not, had a neighbor whom i witnessed nearly caused a deadly accident while enraged over something political/religious…people frighten me…thats all i m saying; i may not find certain things offensive, u may not intend it as such, but it only takes 1 wrong audience…please dont take it personally that i critiqued ur title (i doubt u r losing sleep)!

• Mal says:

If someone is enraged by the title or content of my paper, then I have done my job. Rage is a bit of a cathartic release, and it often inspires reflection in oneself. If the person has any common sense at all, they will soon stop and ask, “Why am I so upset about this?”. If they don’t, I’ll ask for them, and that will open up discourse on the subject. I am always open to discussion.

However, if someone was angry enough that they might intend physical harm on my body, they should know that I live in a state with very loose gun laws and I can always claim temporary insanity due to PTSD.

• nun s equator says:

mal, es muy malo; where 2 start…u do ur job by enraging people? Y?
          what r u, going in2 law enforcement or homeland sec & practicing how 2 entrap people?

please no more joking about guns, psychiatric conditions, beatings; there was a murder suicide of 2 people we kno, ive survived abuses,

& that neighbor…th 1 i told u about? i tried NOT 2 incite him…i went out of my way 2 not incite the guy. he was NOT well in a way which scared me. I was just trying 2 encourage u 2 NOT intentionally incite people by terming their beliefs idiocy, no matter how implausible u may find them…

by calling all of religion a fairy tale, u could say the same of other points in history, after all after a time those alive 2 recall events no longer around & th more time passes, people forget…or just th same as if it never happened…(i have people calling my accounts myths & they are not, so; no matter how many files get erased from our devices);

i m trying 2 tell u …there r some people i wish id never entertaind a conversation with, including those whom seemed perfectly ‘nice’ & agreeable. Its well & good 2 talk about beatings & guns, but if u do ur ‘job’ right, there is no need 4 either. It doesnt matter what the job is, barring some extreme circumstances. not referring 2 religion, alone, i dont mind if u have a gun, so long as u r responsible with it; i cringe 2 think some1 would have incited my neighbor 2 react further, i take no comfort in that @ all…

if u dont take my suggestion, if u actually r writing about that topic, it will not enrage me, i was just saying there r people whom r ticking time bombs & suggested u reconsider.

i m already sad regarding attitudes, such as ‘f u, i have a gun’…not enraged. i have reason 2 own a gun according 2 some, but dont.

things dont always end the way we think they will… people get shot by their own guns & hurt by their own violence.

not that i m attempting 2 change ur mind because i already kno urs is made up.

• nun s equator says:

P.s. where do u live…texas? (joking…maybe)

• Mal says:

I don’t joke about these things. I take a very serious stance regarding my personal security, but I am required by law to warn someone what I am capable of should they consider attacking me. As far as psychiatric disorders go, being a PTSD sufferer, I am intimately aware that one of the important steps on the long road to recovery is identifying and accepting the condition for what it is. Regarding the statement I made, I have been extensively trained to react to situations in which my life or the life of an innocent is in danger by shooting first and asking questions later. It’s better to be judged by twelve than carried by six.

With regard to my paper, I am intentionally writing it to be inflammatory. I WANT people to read what I write and think about it, and the shortest and easiest road to real introspection is anger. I have made a lot of enemies in my short lifetime, and I will make many more before I become one with the earth, but I will NEVER back down from or alter my beliefs simply because it might tick someone off. If their feelings are hurt by something I believe, well they just need to get over it.

2 CLARIFY!

I wasnt talking about me, mal…a neighbor, former whom was since kept a place i think he cant hurt any1, but i cant help but think he the only 1…was all im saying. I m not ur enemy, fyi…
          the spouse is telling me there r strict gun laws in dist of col., d.c., ny, nj & ca so u must live elsewhere- i wasnt really asking, it was an aside (mentioning tx) becuz we kno people from there whom tell of nary a vehicle without a gunrack…& not sure how on urth he knows about gun laws with us lacking in firearms, but what he said (may b inaccurate)! …now that u kno WE do not own a gun, u prob also kno my wits prob wouldnt save me in a pinch which is just as well since i m suicidal anyway…

aside, if u served our country, thank u.
          & i meant good luck on ur paper.

• nun s equator says:

S’posd 2 read ‘not’ th only 1…

• nun s equator says:

If u have been traumatized , mal u ought 2 kno that being traumatized further is not helpful…mayb not bother u, but u r u.

• Mal says:

I know you’re not my enemy Nun. I wasn’t implying anything of the sort. I was just letting you know how I feel on the subject. Since you asked, I live in Nevada, but I moved here from Texas. I grew up in a family where guns for hunting and personal protection were commonplace. I was raised with a healthy respect for how dangerous they can be in the wrong hands, and I was taught from an early age that the most effective use of a gun requires not using it at all.

c, i knew it was tx… ; )

i grew up in ny & moved 2 pa where i spent some of my formative yrs being scared witless by the sound of gunshots
          from hunting rifles when id go out 2 walk our dog…& my husband comes from pa where he describes coming from a hunting family & he
          is a vegetarian non hunter…so now u kno what wimps we r…

espclly me! we hope u live nowhere near a nuclear testing zone, but if u r by an alien landing pad, that would b ok…

• nun s equator says:

My husband said its calld talk softly carry a big stick (gun)…so long u have something 2 scare th other guy u can say whatever u want…but he asked me 2 not type that 2 u …now that i did… well, he knows karate, so i suppose i could say the same 2 him re subduing people (he actually said the same thing 2 me, about learning 2 NOT use violence, even if u hav the skill)…we were in a situation where he subdued an attacker. HAD there been a gun, there, it would have ended really badly i think..thats another post…& i m not trying 2 suggest u b disarmd, swear 2 meatballs.

• nun s equator says:

…th landing pad remark was a referrence 2 th movie ‘paul’…we r fans. not suggesting any1 b alien abducted…

& clarify, we support any1 hunting or in military ( just b.c. we r not either); & i hav kind of a warped sense of humor, so i prob ought just not post…as people have aptly pointed out already.

if u say u r in nevada, if u r in homeland security, i guess in reality that means u r working undercover around the corner from us?

peace.

correction.
          walk softly…so u can neak up on em..

@ least if m going 2 repeat somthing i m told mayb not 2, could get th expression right..

as a (really) final thought on this, i respect ur position…unfortunately 4 me, ive run in2 persons in a position of authority whom take certain attitudes 2 heart & act accordingly, abusing their positions with the ‘best’ of intentions…im not saying u r, but it has happened, elsewhere. as 4 rage as healthy expression, whats helped me had always been exercise…as iv said, i did it RELIGIOUSLY. when people asked me about church on sunday or temple on sat, i said i did, go…right past, running. THAT was not my ‘salvation’, but it didnt make matters worse, unless u count hard on the joints 4 some1 not ever fully ok after the first few rounds of injuries,,,so then it was my bike more & more, until even that had 2 stop. i think

oops. got cut off..

i think ur views r valid & respect them.

i dont kno that 4 me, embodying the rage which has been directed @ me both outright & under guise, is 4 me.; its not…because then, i m just lending credence 2 abusers & giving over power which was not theirs 2 begin with ..

we did not even pursue seeking ‘justice’ against th attackers & half th neighborhood got involved with trying 2 help us pinpoint who they r..because we had multiple considerations…including our continued safety, the racial profilng already going on where we lived @ th time…i m no sociologist, but one act of violence can perpetuate another & another…had there been guns or a knife, we may have proceeded differently. there were definitely threats, hate language & an attempt 2 run over my husband with a motor vehicle…we also could not identify the people properly, in the chaos that was. that alone prevented us from coming forward, if u r not 100% sure, how can u testify? thats 1 thing, &overall, rage is not my answer. i m not a christian, i m not trying 2 prove anything 2 any1, but each person has their own struggles & what works 4 1, not 4 every1.

• nun s equator says:

…& the point was which i suck @ making 1, the particular assault began over the attackers mistaken perception of an action by my husband , then, a verbal tirade, then a verbal assault, then a chase, then WAY more…& all over essentially nothing…without going in2 even more detail, it was unwarranted, unexpected & we were outnumbered. ok…well i m done as i promised. i kno history has shown i dont kno the definition of brevity, but i m not doing it intentionally…i was only telling u 2 b careful because words can b taken out of context, its done 2 me all the time…& i do not honestly kno what set off my neighbor, because i never spoke 2 him on these topics but knew enuf not 2…AND 1 final pt, people have DONE stuff 2 me surreptitiously…ive had my car keyed, vandalized in other ways & met up with a person whom ‘bragged’ about doing harm 2 persons that rubbed the wrong way, but in ways theyd not kno…when i say people scare me mal, i s-t u not! the way some people do, u can b totally good with ur thing & they do things, anyway…u dont need 2 tell me about enemies, i kno i have a BUNCH, they r not all knocking on my door, announcing selves…that was my point. if i could make 1 in 20 words or less the globe would stop spinning 4 a second…

• nun s equator says:

1 OTHER thing…there r things people have done 2 me mal, which no gun, no knife, no karate move couldve prepared me 4. . .because i never saw it coming. people can b cruel, intentionally thoughtless with a smile on their faces. if i may serve as a cautionary tale, that is all i was trying 2 do…& religion does not hold the crown for beliefs 2 b examined…in madagascar, many natives will kill, on site, a certain species of lemur…not because it is dangerous, or harmful in any way but because it is feared due 2 ‘bad luck’..they r ‘bad omens’. ..thats not religious per se, its just exceedingly sad.

the majority of people following religion ive met including me historically r not inherently flawed just on that basis, but i do not pretend 2 b an authority on religion or peoples (nor lemurs)

• JCamp says:

Not to mention the writer not knowing the difference in “your” and “you’re,” “there” and “their,” and the lack of capitalization of proper nouns.

3. You (really) says:

I do enjoy to read these emails, i doubt the Church receive hate-mail from jews, Buddhists, hindus and islamics about how they are mocking with their beliefs and will all burn in hell. These people should get something to do they have to much free-time.

Sorry about any grammar mistake,
    Brazilian pastafarian/Christian.

4. Edmund Raines says:

It’s not a simple issue. I’ve felt the impulse to just tell anyone who wants to tell me about Jesus, “Well, where is he?” You know, be condescending and smug about religious beliefs that I’ve only recently totally s#$*canned myself. I think I may be a good enough speaker and thinker to actually cause even a die hard born again to have doubts. But then I think what if I cause someone to realize their greatest source of comfort and strength is a crock, that there’s nobody looking down to make sure they’re okay, what if this causes them to be sad, despondent or worse? God or, in my opinion, no God, there is still responsibility. Compassion, kindness, encouragement etc., are still real virtues that I would like to think I’m capable of showing, all the more so after the realization that there’s no heavenly author of these virtues. I’d like to see the final end of the dispicable tyranny of religion. I think that any movement that has this aim should espouse the better characteristics our species is capable of showing in order to raise the identity of Atheist’ to as high and admirable place as can be.

5. Gorgonzola says:

Seems to me that instead of bashing a following, YOU (u) should lean to spell like a normal human being. EXCEPT ( exept) your school system failed or you did. Man, I hate to be the grammar/spelling police but if you are going to bitch about something, proper spelling and grammar might make you sound more relevant and intelligent and not like a raving moron.

6. Jeff Allan says:

Why are Christians and Muslims so full of hate? I thought that was antithetical to their respective beliefs.

7. Rachel says:

These typos…I can’t get past…THESE TYPOS!!!!!!!!

AKA: I’d love to be able to say their argument is legitimate, but I can’t look past the typos.

8. Nameless says:

A line between the reasonable and unreasonable? Try again. There are no reasonable people.

1 14 15 16 17 18 25