What exactly do you think you are going to prove?

Published July 22nd, 2011 by Bobby Henderson

What exactly do you think you are going to prove? it’s just disrespectful to other human beings faiths and beliefs, and im sure u of all people should know u can’t put any sense into say a devout christian. Honestly, what your doing is the equivalant of making a rude, sarcastic joke to a child that doesn’t understand humor. u cant tell a christian thats been raised from birth to believe that there’s a magic man in the clouds that he’s wrong. you’ll just get what uve been getting, hate mail, and death threats. God is the equivalant of santa exept the child is never told he isn’t real until it’s to late. and u think your doing a good thing by making up this pastafarian crap to prove how absurd the idea of god is. what i don’t think u understand is that u cant argue with idiots about this stuff as most christians are dont know a thing about science.(I apoligize to all respectable christian scientists). as an athiest, im disgusted what youre doing. like making fun of christians being killed by somali’s, and u quoting, "apparently they thought there god could give them safe passage"(yes ive read ur website). really, did it ever, or does it ever occur to you that these people are actually human being’s with family’s and feeling’s, and just because they think the world was created  differantly than u, u have to mock them… that’s kind of a dick move. your being no better than they are(religious people) by making fun of and disrespecting other people just ’cause they think differantly than u. oh wait u are religous, u worship a flying spaggetti monster. which means i have the right to ridicule u on how stupid your dumbfuck religion is(oh may the great pasta diety forgive me for my sin) and dont deny that u worship the all mighty pasta king, because your the leader of the church. with the true words of your religion written on a piece of paper. it’s ironic that u, by trying to prove how bad religion is. go about it by u yourself inbodying everything that is wrong with human beliefs. u are everything that is wrong with athiesm. u go around acting all superior and pompus, like u know better than everyone else and tell them why there wrong mockingly. the world would be a better place if u took all your "followers" (butt pirates) got on a pirate ship and ate spaggetti until you all died of overeating.have u ever heard the term live and let live? and i love it how  u post all the hate mail u get on a your page to be ridiculed by your cronies( who by the way need to get of the internet and do something productive)yes we all the the bible huggars are gonna say dumb stuff because they’re uneducated. but that doesn’t mean u have to be immature and make fun of there faults so just lay off. even though this message sounds hostile just know i agree with what your’e trying to do (i think) educating people, i just wholly disagree with how u are going about it.

-David

A short response from Bobby:

It’s not our intention to mock or offend anyone. But I realize people sometimes feel mocked  or offended.

It might be fair to say that we’re disrespectful.  I would agree that most Pastafarians don’t respect the notion that religion should sit on a pedestal.  We don’t think that because an action is explained in the context of religion it is exempt from the scrutiny it otherwise would have been subjected to.  Religion is not a free pass for crazy ideas and crazy actions.

I would agree that it’s not our place to pass judgment on those who see the world through a lens of religion.  But neither is it our place to ignore when personal belief becomes public action.  We can accept that some choose to teach their kids the earth is 6000 years old and that dinosaurs are a myth.  But if they push for those ideas to be taught in our schools, it’s no longer a question of respecting personal belief.

The idea that rational minded people must be anti-religion is a wrong one, I think.   If we must draw a line to divide ourselves, I’d prefer the line be positioned between reasonable and unreasonable people, rather than religious and non-religious people.

It’s one thing to see the world through a lens, and another thing to act as if it’s the only lens that can exist.

I believe there is no group more tolerant of other religious and nonreligious groups than Pastafarians, without question.  The death of the Christian sailors by pirates was a sad thing for everyone who heard of it, I’m sure.  My hope is that it doesn’t happen again.  The hard question is:  will criticizing the decision to venture into dangerous areas on the basis of faith help avoid a similar situation in the future?  I don’t know the answer.  But I wonder how many of their friends and family wish they had shaken them and said this is a bad idea, don’t do this.  This is one of the hard questions – this line between respect and concern.

683 Responses to “What exactly do you think you are going to prove?”

1 11 12 13 14 15 25
  1. Mike says:

Hes right you guys are a bunch of dumbasses who in the hell believes in a flying spaghetti monster

• TiltedHorizon says:

whoosh…….. right over your head. Since you don’t use your head for much can I rent your forehead as billboard space?

• Sauce of Life says:

Mike,

Do not mock the Pastafarians or you will be the recipient of an STD and stale beer!

2. Praise and Glory to the FSM, Now Pass the BEER Mate! says:

i think our true lord, the fsm, created other religions for the same reason he created midgets…..TO LAUGH AT! lol virgin birth!

3. Praise and Glory to the FSM, Now Pass the BEER Mate! says:

OH NO! I FORGOT!
    RAmen.
    please forgive me lord fsm!

4. Olivia says:

When I read the expression ,,God is like santa,, I was like ok! What if i still believe in santa :) It is a funny article but I don t have the same opinion. I believe is a force out there witch is in total contol of everything. I think God is real whatever you call it.

• theFewtheProudtheMarinara says:

Witch? You believe in witches, too?
      When you say a “force”, Olivia, you should think about what form that supposed force takes.
      You are a theist if you believe there is a caring god controlling things.
      You are a deist if you think there is a god not particularly concerned with us.
      You are a pantheist if you think there is a “force” which is not concious.
      In any case, please keep thinking. Think hard enough – and independently enough – and you may become an athiest.
      Do not believe that this is a bad thing, either. Did you become a worse person when you stopped believing in Santa?

thfewproudmarinar:asks
        ‘did u become a worse person ..when stopped believing in santa?’

good analogy, but people r kind of expected 2 give up the santa..it serves as a coming of age marker.
        when teachings of god r taught, u r supposed 2 /expected 2 GROW in a ‘relationship’ with him..supposed 2 strengthen over time, forever& ever, all seeing all knowing all powrful amen…i c th comparison 2 santa, but…

I compare it more 2 coming out. I had an associate tell his mom (as later relayed, 2 me) ‘ma…(he is) gay’…she did not eat all week, he tellsme next, then he said ‘nevermind…(he) thought he was, but…it turns out (he) was mistaken..! now, she is relieved. HE in th meantime, still gay- & now must feel guilty about it & he added, pose for his ma with gals he is supposedly
        ‘together’ with…which hurts her, himself…
        WHEN i said 2 my mom, i dont kno what i believe anymore, that is true (as opposed to DEFINITIVE reply id given to therapist …whom mocked my answer…then initiated discrediting sequence)…i was starting 2 doubt…u would hav thought i broke a family heirloom on purpose, or comitted some heinous act against all that is holy…her voice dropped an octave after an extended silence & she intimated there r dire consequences…2 this.

People think more often than not rather than say. …such things. For my part, i was telling th truth, i DO NOT KNOW.

• nun sequitur says:

I have wondered ever since, if he ever came out & if the girls were in on it…the things he put on display with them which he told me of, in an effort 2 convince his ma, i hope he @ least told the girls…this was 1 of most gutwrenching heartbreaking things i ever heard in my life…he is essentially saying his revelation almost killed his mom. It doesnt get any worse than that…& he was THE nicest person. Ranked up there on the charts anyway. A true sweetheart. I gathered his mom was a church attender. I did not ask because none of my biz. It pleased me he had support from area community, but i wondered if his mom understood it was probably harder 4 him 2 come out 2 her than it was for her 2 accept him…& selfless of him 2 go back in2 hiding, but i do hope by now, not a continuance. I do not believe there is a god 4 or against such things. But shame on any1 for implying it is a supernatural sin…that guy never intentedly hurt any1 i m aware of. & I do know enough whom have been hurtful so, that is saying alot…

If i knew my thoughts by now were cemented on g-d, i would not b afraid 2 say so 1 way or another.

• Sauce of Life says:

The force is called nature and the more we learn about its laws, the more we can rest our laurels on the fact that there is only one true God and he is made of Pasta, Sauce and Meatballs.

• nun sequitur says:

No, u cannot assume that…there is still the question of whether or not fsm is GF (free of gluten). there is overwhelming scientific evidence supporting the elimination of gluten benefits human beans in @ least hundreds of ways. This generally gets me mocked or ignored. Or, even both. BUT it is a fact for a large # of persons especially…i would like 2 offer 2 head up a gluten free division & will provide resources for anyone interested.

• nun sequitur says:

Resources of infodata. ..because there is alot of misdata.

• Pedant says:

In what way were you like ok? Were you curving your body in a circle? Or maybe standing with your legs apart with one arm raised above your head and the other at approximately 22.5 degrees from the vertical? Incidentaly, it’s ok if you still believe in santa, after all you still believe in witches and supernatural forces so it’s hardley surprising.

Slightly off topic I know, but can anyone explain the sudden rash of multiple commas in posts recently

5. Permafried Pirate says:

Ummm….Cry me a fucking river. Don’t Theists realize that they offend rational thought and common sense? I found a video on @CookingWithKarma ‘s Youtube channel that combines PIE & SPAGHETTI! That’s right, Pirates, Midgets and assorted Wenches. PIE AND SPAGHETTI TOGETHER!! How in The Freezer Of Doom is that offensive?

Permafried pirate says:
      ‘cry me a f-g river’

done.

6. nun sequitur says:

not all people whom purport 2 b most holy revering religious are not neccessarily kind or anything related 2 it & no less capable of inflicting harm while purporting 2 spread virtuous things. I am not talking about the religious rites & practices which had served as a comfort for an example, an associate of mine…these kept him feeling safe, from reverting back to things he had been habitual about which were better off being avoided for him- i am talking not about this as an application. But, about persons whom take standards of belief & extend them in ways which are squashing 2 the nth degree. It is not merely holier than thou. It is more than this. It is hatred veiled as peace & love. It is not just a difference which is as inconsequential as someones haircolor, which 2 me, that is what that persons beliefs were. However there arose a question- about if a belief of his could interfere in other realms…he drove over to visit, while drinking, after his car was damaged one day with no explanation…if someone firmly believes, as I have had persons share, there is NO justice, in THIS world…that its mainly in the NEXT, & they ‘give’ all guilt over to god whom ‘cleanses’ them CLEAN…there is no reason to report anything further, because ‘justice’ has prevailed- this is HARMFUL. NOW, he knows that I know…that I have an idea of even a potential issue not to b avoided & that SPECIFICALLY relates to the driving related drinking- any self harm is a concern, but this is more of one & that makes ME, a problem, to him, in his eyes, which makes me subject to what I have been… I get assaulted – with religious hokum, next. This has repeated. I had someone religious take an interest in me. . .no issue with them. A line was crossed, I decline an advance, respectfully, but now, I am the problem. . .& now I ought 2 b ‘saved’. . .they now have something to share, with me, but it becomes a festering resentment against me for not responding, not the loving gesture it is veiled as.

Other people whom are ‘saved’ have behaved as if this is merely like the difference between some1 whom has seen a ghost & the person next to them whom missed it…just wait, you will see, one day. It is not like that. Religion becomes as a tool for all manner of things which go against humanity & do not serve it.

• nun sequitur says:

PEOPLE mete out unjust punishments & then assign that action, to god. Then turn around & look @ you & try to offer salvation. I’ve had people whom happen to b gay look @ me & with a straight face after revealing this, tell me that even though their religion teaches that this is unacceptable, there is progress being made to mold the religion into a more tolerant posture on this & in the meantime, they uphold existing texts which include placing restrictions on others, as the bible teaches…

• nun sequitur says:

SPEAKING of HATE (mail, or otherwise). . .i had a violation of my trust while in a very vulnerable position by someone trying to begin some sort of discussion on the afterlife but had no respect for my opinion which he asked for…& i had not started the topic; The therapist whom untherapeutically scolded me over his afterlife question (asked me what becomes of me now that i am dead, & actually expected me to answer…he kept pressing it. I gathered finally he was hypothetically speaking, so i did not think it actually feel i could actually answer this ‘accurately’ maybe- i felt pressure 2 respond)- he accused me of being wrong & said my answer was my problem…i had gone before 2 him 2 b hypnotized 4 my physical pain from injuries, it did not help. I went back, that comment was made, i didnt know what 2 make of it…tho it upset me, his scornful tone & attitude, i tried 2 overlook it…then, when he was rehypnotizing me in a second attempt after i told him the first not helped & wondered did it make things worse in other ways somehow, i asked if we could try again…while i m in a relaxed suggestive state, he made suggestions & one thing stood out enough 2 nearly bring me fully alert, he said to just go along, to not cause any problems (for who? for him?)…the hypnosis was for pain. This same therapist , acted as if he the authority on the afterworld delivered these messages in a ‘caring’ place that for a period of time, after i had complained (town where young child murdered by her own dad, after SAME therapist granted him unsupervised visitation with her…he had been STALKING the childs mother during their divorce)…the place exhibited signage on the wall stating that care here is delivered thru god…paraphrased, but what it amounts to. since over the years ive been REPEATEDLY accused of having an ‘unsaved’ doomed soul for lack of jesus acceptance, I found all combined disturbing. Anyone dissecting others’ souls should b equally concerned about their own, jesus or not. ..people wonder y i start discussions such as pointing this out here, i am trying 2 point out THIS is what has been done 2 me, repeatedly FOR YEARS. . .the unsolicited soul saving missions are partly in the form of conversations started under the guise of other things; & this is a message for those whom would write in hating on a group trying 2 highlight a need for dialogue @ its inception, whom those criticizing it, only seem to want dialogue defending these sorts of- what amounts to character assassination…that person had CHARGE of my RECORDS. In a position of authority to begin and end with & HE was protected & defended in the end, NOT me. I am left without recourse on NUMEROUS fronts by now & was not okay to begin with. I cannot advocate for myself but TRYING.

7. nun sequitur says:

the flying spaghetti monster has been like all gods manifested into being by intense concentration & focus. A dramatic feat.

• nun sequitur says:

I think it is called a thought mass? Where all manner of things gets willed into existence …with however many millions of people agreeing on same thing, what does that say…it does not mean everyone is right, it means they all r in agreement & will it 2 b so…& any1 detracting from this is considered 2 b a problem & whatever subversion is used to suppress detraction amounts to opression.& im not sure i dont believe in god, either so, cannot say i do not. The fsm is another question i will leave to the experts in it …

• nun sequitur says:

speaking of thought masses, if each person intimating what a f-k up I am would just take 2 seconds out & send ur negative energy over here, mayb whatever is growing in my chest (from a spec in the late 90s to a larger structure in lung, yrs later…along with non identified lumps elsewhere on chest)can build on that energy & just f-g kill me already, because i seem 2 fail whenever i attempt it, for my part…y waste ur energy writing about sentence structure when u can provide offline negative thought mass? seriously, u would b doing me a huge solid. PLUS yourselves, if u really hav so much disdain 4 me, dead people cant post.

8. nun sequitur says:

speaking of being disrespectful of others faiths? For those feeling christianity is being assaulted here, please consider that jesus was said 2 have been a TEACHER, a great one they say, ,,maybe if u really ‘follow’ him, u can walk in his footsteps but SKIP the crucifiction. Teachers teach, but can always learn things FROM their students.

& Nobody starts entire religious movements around crappy teachers, altho, the holocaust was a movement by a really persuasive party, 2…& not a terrific movement.

I have no choice but 2 believe in the ‘unseen’ because physical PAIN is not visible. So a lack of investment in a particular track of thought concerning a belief system u hold does not render me damned to hell for eternity, unless u consider that living in pain CONSTANTLY, feels like an eternity & other people hold the key to relief…people r not supposed 2 self treat pain, r not supposed 2 complain about inadequate relief under many, many circumstances & LOTS of people die SUFFERING unheeded, lied about thru politics which r tied up with the ‘war’ on drugs which is a WAR on medicine…deaths happen all the time still, people kill themselves as the b.s. becomes TOO GREAT…ALL the while, the lord everyone prays to was allegedly beaten to a bloody pulp prior to his really crappy method if DEATH, , ,sounds PAINFUL to me- maybe something ELSE can b learned from THAT, maybe he was STILL teaching stuff EVEN then & never said to ignore his prior teachings, nor all of those connected with his core beliefs which were not ‘christian’ because there was no christianity, yet, not until AFTER he was killed, at least reportedly. . .& I do not think ever said HEY start a whole new religion in my name? He was saying things which peeved the existing infrastructure & every1 thinks that is GREAT now…and yet, if someone does this NOW, it is all: BOO, HISS, STFU…
    So how do u suppose THIS religion began??

• nun sequitur says:

THAT – how christ never said to abandon existing core beliefs- would b not my opinion nor idea, but included in the things various people have said to me unsolicited, ABOUT MY BACKGROUND…O, r u of this religion, are these ‘your people’? well, then u ought b aware…

We were asked to b ‘roomates’ of a person, it was an amish owned house…she invited us over, brought over the family, all were seated around the table, the person whom invited us there now says, to the persons @ 1 point that I am such & such a religion… which i had been quizzed about, earlier- i was stared @ by every1 there, studied. I asked later what impression she was trying 2 give them, of me, had they ever met ‘one’ of us, had they been having an impression she was trying to dispel or support…y do this? …would not tell me, then cornered me trying 2 discuss the concept of sin & when i said i was not interested in having the conversation, i was ACCUSED of ‘believing’ that person to b ‘stupid’ ? it was said that i ‘felt’ that person was too dumb to understand my viewpoint & that THIS was y…i wouldnt talk, about it. . .this is what i allegedly thought, according to the person whom brought it up & i was not unkind in the least but the person was annoyed & agitated because i said no thanks to the discussion. THEN after i reassured her i hardly viewed anyone there as such, the topic was pressed ANYWAY. 1 example after another & another until arriving @ child molestation, then, when it was continued as a topic i did not bring up, a member of the community supposedly confided to this person, an ‘outsider’, that there is this going on, THERE…in that community BUT, they do not get involved with the justice system so, theres ‘nothing’ they can DO. i pointed out it is unconscionable 2 do nothing & was resented @ this point…& ultimately told the guy was @ a ‘rehabilitation’ place, a ‘building’ the amish have…my husband agreed it was probably a church. i had 2 call some1 for help 2 protect the kids, because she said some bizarre things like WELL, the guy doesnt touch his OWN kids…he has KIDS, in the home? who is it? how does she know? wouldnt tell me & then said, the mans wife was told he doesnt touch his OWN kids…oh okay that makes it (not) okay? i contacted an agency that protects kids’ well being…now, if any of this was fabricated, it will make ME appear 2 b making a false report- as i had contacted an agency prior over concerns brought 2 our attention, i dont know if i was being toyed with…tell her THIS, see what she does when u say THIS. . .it is an area abutting PSU & the person that introduced us 2 her was a student there, with a relative whom is an employee there- as it was, that person after starting classes in human sexuality had started 2 bring up the topic excessively & was asking into our preferrences, telling us hers, trying to get our attitudes, etc. After I was pressing for an identity of the alleged molester, she would not release it but, started saying HOW the person might GET his victims, what TACTICS he could employ! This was the point where I had 2 make difficult decision 2 reach out in spite of having been told all this, but 2 not tell, anyone….that if we lived there, we would have 2 keep our mouths shut, because it is not our culture-??? THEN we got a call saying we r rejected for consideration of living there. ..& was told it had 2 do with a core belief of the owners, which we would b in violation, of…which was known when we were asked to live there 2 begin, with. after this i was glared @ whenever we came in contact, as if i had done something wrong. i m now wondering if this was @ all of hypothetical nature & more referring to things concerning the university & what evidently had BEEN reported, by then, , ,concerning SAME topic, or if this was a coincidence. Either way, I am always made 2 b the a-hole… if what she said was true, i do not know, but their RELIGION was cited as the REASON for not saying anything and we r told essentially from this, y people being abused do not reach out…which concerned me…& then I get ‘banished’ 4 that concern…& do not even know if it wasn’t just yet another head game. . .since then, we get told reports of things that turn out 2 b unsupported…so if I repeat it makes me out 2 b fabricating something- it is a way of discrediting me. I was accused of thinking her stupid…after this, i was told by some1 else that i m SMART , repeatedly, & then told, but they… r smartER (okay. congratulations? )…unsolicited as well. let the head games continue…

• nun sequitur says:

‘there is this going on there’ was to read, i had been told there was molestation going on, there- when i submitted this for posting, the word (molestation) was removed from the paragraph & the word ‘this’ in its place? We have had games played with this device…

Anyway, this was 1 ‘example’ of sin, brought up..

• nun sequitur says:

I had said that if she considers it a sin or not, something has to b done…it is inconsequential that this was a ‘sin’ if nothing gets done to STOP the activity, was my point @ which point i got annoyance from the person because i was apparently straying from the topic, of sin. This was an ASSIGNED topic I had not brought up & not asked, about & actually DECLINED speaking of & was pressed with a ton of examples ending with molestation…maybe she was building up to it & did not know how else to broach the topic…so it began with concept of sin. THIS is what I thought, initially, but her responding 2 me as if I violated her principles & as if i were being disrespectful & condescending by saying this, made me wonder y she wanted 2 have the discussion but get so angry with me for having one i didnt ask 4 in the first place & had respectfully declined…i cannot explain this well, but the point is i m always made out 2 b in the wrong, no matter what i say. . .it is intentional & what i have pointed out was by design. Like a religious discussion entrapment of some kind. (The rest, the above, becomes secondary 2 such)…by design, i m always in the wrong.
          d

• nun sequitur says:

We heard amnesty international is going after someone whom was a devoutly religious man but whom violated human rights various spots on the planet.

• nun sequitur says:

what strikes me about gw being pursued for war crimes & etc is that he was elected on a platform of zealotry by a majority of people holding this as acceptable. nearly all of our elected officials to the presidency have to mention something about church & gain support because of it.

I did not ever feel that my trying to come to terms with various deaths, accidents & injuries, discreditings, being a victim of crime including assaults & abuses i kept to myself for years & having health issues overlooked & buried which r now likely killing me, being targeted for conversion by zealots, having had a nervous breakdown being in chronic physical pain & depressed was ‘interesting’ & to any1 saying this, id have preferred 2 have had none of it. its good to know that when ur back is against the wall, some1 will come along & open a door into u; thanks 4 confirming i m correct, that my failed attempts to leave were merely pre-cedents. & sorry if i bored u.

I already KNOW there are a-holes whom ignore doing the correct thing. That was supported recently in area university environ.

& i strongly suggest u consider taking the gluten out of ur diet.that is my unsolicited advice 2 ur unsolicited bashing.

1 11 12 13 14 15 25