What exactly do you think you are going to prove?

Published July 22nd, 2011 by Bobby Henderson

What exactly do you think you are going to prove? it’s just disrespectful to other human beings faiths and beliefs, and im sure u of all people should know u can’t put any sense into say a devout christian. Honestly, what your doing is the equivalant of making a rude, sarcastic joke to a child that doesn’t understand humor. u cant tell a christian thats been raised from birth to believe that there’s a magic man in the clouds that he’s wrong. you’ll just get what uve been getting, hate mail, and death threats. God is the equivalant of santa exept the child is never told he isn’t real until it’s to late. and u think your doing a good thing by making up this pastafarian crap to prove how absurd the idea of god is. what i don’t think u understand is that u cant argue with idiots about this stuff as most christians are dont know a thing about science.(I apoligize to all respectable christian scientists). as an athiest, im disgusted what youre doing. like making fun of christians being killed by somali’s, and u quoting, "apparently they thought there god could give them safe passage"(yes ive read ur website). really, did it ever, or does it ever occur to you that these people are actually human being’s with family’s and feeling’s, and just because they think the world was created  differantly than u, u have to mock them… that’s kind of a dick move. your being no better than they are(religious people) by making fun of and disrespecting other people just ’cause they think differantly than u. oh wait u are religous, u worship a flying spaggetti monster. which means i have the right to ridicule u on how stupid your dumbfuck religion is(oh may the great pasta diety forgive me for my sin) and dont deny that u worship the all mighty pasta king, because your the leader of the church. with the true words of your religion written on a piece of paper. it’s ironic that u, by trying to prove how bad religion is. go about it by u yourself inbodying everything that is wrong with human beliefs. u are everything that is wrong with athiesm. u go around acting all superior and pompus, like u know better than everyone else and tell them why there wrong mockingly. the world would be a better place if u took all your "followers" (butt pirates) got on a pirate ship and ate spaggetti until you all died of overeating.have u ever heard the term live and let live? and i love it how  u post all the hate mail u get on a your page to be ridiculed by your cronies( who by the way need to get of the internet and do something productive)yes we all the the bible huggars are gonna say dumb stuff because they’re uneducated. but that doesn’t mean u have to be immature and make fun of there faults so just lay off. even though this message sounds hostile just know i agree with what your’e trying to do (i think) educating people, i just wholly disagree with how u are going about it.

-David

A short response from Bobby:

It’s not our intention to mock or offend anyone. But I realize people sometimes feel mocked  or offended.

It might be fair to say that we’re disrespectful.  I would agree that most Pastafarians don’t respect the notion that religion should sit on a pedestal.  We don’t think that because an action is explained in the context of religion it is exempt from the scrutiny it otherwise would have been subjected to.  Religion is not a free pass for crazy ideas and crazy actions.

I would agree that it’s not our place to pass judgment on those who see the world through a lens of religion.  But neither is it our place to ignore when personal belief becomes public action.  We can accept that some choose to teach their kids the earth is 6000 years old and that dinosaurs are a myth.  But if they push for those ideas to be taught in our schools, it’s no longer a question of respecting personal belief.

The idea that rational minded people must be anti-religion is a wrong one, I think.   If we must draw a line to divide ourselves, I’d prefer the line be positioned between reasonable and unreasonable people, rather than religious and non-religious people.

It’s one thing to see the world through a lens, and another thing to act as if it’s the only lens that can exist.

I believe there is no group more tolerant of other religious and nonreligious groups than Pastafarians, without question.  The death of the Christian sailors by pirates was a sad thing for everyone who heard of it, I’m sure.  My hope is that it doesn’t happen again.  The hard question is:  will criticizing the decision to venture into dangerous areas on the basis of faith help avoid a similar situation in the future?  I don’t know the answer.  But I wonder how many of their friends and family wish they had shaken them and said this is a bad idea, don’t do this.  This is one of the hard questions – this line between respect and concern.

797 Responses to “What exactly do you think you are going to prove?”

1 9 10 11 12 13 27
  1. Traze says:

While most of David’s message is stupid and as ignorant,the “u can’t put any sense into say a devout christian.” part was WINNER.

2. Rebecca says:

I know first graders with better writing skills than this. If you’re going to write hate mail, at least use correct grammar and spelling. Otherwise, you just look like an idiot who has know idea what he’s talking about and end up just proving that the person you’re writing to is a lot more intelligent than you are.

• Pierce says:

I do agree with your point, however to avoid contradicting yourself check the spelling in “an idiot who has know idea what he’s talking about”. I AM NOT SCRUTINIZING YOU, just bringing this to your attention.

3. Ellie S. says:

This ‘letter’ is ridiculous; can you really dare to call anyone else (theist, atheist or agnostic) an ‘idiot’ and ‘uneducated’ when your spelling and grammar is that atrocious? As a semi religious person I find your attempts to defend religious people MUCH more offensive than the Flying Spaghetti Monster. I quite like ‘His Noodliness’ I find it hilarious – though I wish He didn’t love ME so much so that I could be a few inches taller; I don’t like wearing heels all the time.

• Keith says:

Midgits are sacred people, Ellie.Rejoice in the fact that the shorter the stature, the closer you are to keeping your feet firmly planted on the ground.

4. Nick says:

“u can’t put any sense into say a devout christian.” I was raised a christian but then I realized the truth and became a Pastafarian.

• Gorian says:

Diddo

• S.M.A.R.T. says:

Here too. My parents are christian but they made the mistake of letting me read books about animals, which lead me to read about dinosaurs. From the age of five to the age of eleven, dinosaurs were the coolest thing i knew, aside from Star Wars. I’m a very inquisitive person, so dinosaurs fast became science. I love science. This is why I’m not religious, unlike my whole family.
        Wow, I don’t know what made me write a post this long, no one’s probably ever going to read it, but anyways, have a good day, all fellow Pastafarians, and hail His Noodliness.

• Danny says:

I read it.
          p.s. I’ve read longer.

• Ezra says:

I read it as well. Great job breaking free.

5. Me says:

We don’t need to probe. We have faith on Him.

He boiled for our sins.

6. Pierce says:

I enjoyed the ending where after insulting hundreds of cultures (both pious and secular), he insults internet users as well (specifically the quality of their education), despite the fact that he himself wrote a 500 page critique/complaint on a religious website, and almost all of the comments I have seen on this site have been written in an articulate and informed way (not including David, of course).

• Pierce says:

500 word*,not page,critique

7. Flippy says:

We aren’t out to offend anyone. This is what we choose to believe and your saying we can’t what the hell?! How does believing this offend anyone religions. I’ve faced this kinda stuff with being a fan of a very sadistic cartoon (which shall remain un-named) and there are people who hate it and think there hot shit because they follow ‘the right’ religion. What the mass follows, we have every right in the world to believe this way, just as you have to yours. I’ve been in the SA and it doesn’t matter it’s a merged religion a lot of us are different religions. We are HIGHLY peaceful and we don’t do wars and that kind of stuffs.
    Ramen

• Maggie says:

It offends religious people because you produce media that is degrading towards things that are very holy. It’s not the message, it’s the delivery! HOW COULD YOU POSSIBLY NOT OFFEND PEOPLE WITH THESE THINGS?

• Drained and Washed Clean says:

How is it the delivery. We are just asking for fair and equal treatment of our religion. Are you saying that our religion does not deserve the same reverence as yours? That is pretty judgmental Maggie. Doesn’t your holy book say something about that?

The fact that you are offended shows that you recognize things in your own religion that make you uncomfortable. Instead of dealing with these issues in your own religion you lash out at ours.

• Atsap Revol says:

Didn’t know that Christian HOLY came in different grades. Do the levels run something like this: (1) Barely HOLY, (2) Modestly HOLY, (3) Pretty HOLY, (4) Very HOLY, and (5) Take-off-your-shoes HOLY?

Pastafarians do not have different levels of Holiness. If it’s pasta, it’s Wholly Holy, especially if covered with Marinara sauce.

Atsap, The Virtuous

• Thomas L. Nielsen says:

“If it’s pasta, it’s Wholly Holy” – And if it’s a Mammoth, it’s Woolly Holy (Sorry, I’ll stop now).

And Maggie: “you produce media that is degrading towards things that are very holy” – What we are doing is asking logical questions about these socalled very holy things. We are asking that they be kept separate from science. We are asking not to have them crammed down our throats in the public space. And yes, we do poke some (good-natured) fun at it as well. If you consider that “degrading”, then I submit that is your problem. Not ours or anyone else’s.

Regards & All, rAmen and Arrr….

Thomas L. Nielsen
          Mammoth Breeding Project
          Luxembourg

• theFewtheProudtheMarinara says:

I contend that the whole wheat pasta my wife occasionally uses is Barely Holy. The made-at-home pasta my aunts made, not that required the shoes to come off.

• Xerxes says:

I agree Flippy. We are Ramen. We are not Varelse.

8. Eddie says:

Religion causes more bad then good. I am tired of the ignorance Christians use to argue for their beliefs. If I killed millions of people and prayed for forgiveness, and if I really meant it, would God grant me entrance into heaven still? That, I’m sorry is ****ed up, enough said.

1 9 10 11 12 13 27