What exactly do you think you are going to prove?

Published July 22nd, 2011 by Bobby Henderson

What exactly do you think you are going to prove? it’s just disrespectful to other human beings faiths and beliefs, and im sure u of all people should know u can’t put any sense into say a devout christian. Honestly, what your doing is the equivalant of making a rude, sarcastic joke to a child that doesn’t understand humor. u cant tell a christian thats been raised from birth to believe that there’s a magic man in the clouds that he’s wrong. you’ll just get what uve been getting, hate mail, and death threats. God is the equivalant of santa exept the child is never told he isn’t real until it’s to late. and u think your doing a good thing by making up this pastafarian crap to prove how absurd the idea of god is. what i don’t think u understand is that u cant argue with idiots about this stuff as most christians are dont know a thing about science.(I apoligize to all respectable christian scientists). as an athiest, im disgusted what youre doing. like making fun of christians being killed by somali’s, and u quoting, "apparently they thought there god could give them safe passage"(yes ive read ur website). really, did it ever, or does it ever occur to you that these people are actually human being’s with family’s and feeling’s, and just because they think the world was created  differantly than u, u have to mock them… that’s kind of a dick move. your being no better than they are(religious people) by making fun of and disrespecting other people just ’cause they think differantly than u. oh wait u are religous, u worship a flying spaggetti monster. which means i have the right to ridicule u on how stupid your dumbfuck religion is(oh may the great pasta diety forgive me for my sin) and dont deny that u worship the all mighty pasta king, because your the leader of the church. with the true words of your religion written on a piece of paper. it’s ironic that u, by trying to prove how bad religion is. go about it by u yourself inbodying everything that is wrong with human beliefs. u are everything that is wrong with athiesm. u go around acting all superior and pompus, like u know better than everyone else and tell them why there wrong mockingly. the world would be a better place if u took all your "followers" (butt pirates) got on a pirate ship and ate spaggetti until you all died of overeating.have u ever heard the term live and let live? and i love it how  u post all the hate mail u get on a your page to be ridiculed by your cronies( who by the way need to get of the internet and do something productive)yes we all the the bible huggars are gonna say dumb stuff because they’re uneducated. but that doesn’t mean u have to be immature and make fun of there faults so just lay off. even though this message sounds hostile just know i agree with what your’e trying to do (i think) educating people, i just wholly disagree with how u are going about it.

-David

A short response from Bobby:

It’s not our intention to mock or offend anyone. But I realize people sometimes feel mocked  or offended.

It might be fair to say that we’re disrespectful.  I would agree that most Pastafarians don’t respect the notion that religion should sit on a pedestal.  We don’t think that because an action is explained in the context of religion it is exempt from the scrutiny it otherwise would have been subjected to.  Religion is not a free pass for crazy ideas and crazy actions.

I would agree that it’s not our place to pass judgment on those who see the world through a lens of religion.  But neither is it our place to ignore when personal belief becomes public action.  We can accept that some choose to teach their kids the earth is 6000 years old and that dinosaurs are a myth.  But if they push for those ideas to be taught in our schools, it’s no longer a question of respecting personal belief.

The idea that rational minded people must be anti-religion is a wrong one, I think.   If we must draw a line to divide ourselves, I’d prefer the line be positioned between reasonable and unreasonable people, rather than religious and non-religious people.

It’s one thing to see the world through a lens, and another thing to act as if it’s the only lens that can exist.

I believe there is no group more tolerant of other religious and nonreligious groups than Pastafarians, without question.  The death of the Christian sailors by pirates was a sad thing for everyone who heard of it, I’m sure.  My hope is that it doesn’t happen again.  The hard question is:  will criticizing the decision to venture into dangerous areas on the basis of faith help avoid a similar situation in the future?  I don’t know the answer.  But I wonder how many of their friends and family wish they had shaken them and said this is a bad idea, don’t do this.  This is one of the hard questions – this line between respect and concern.

879 Responses to “What exactly do you think you are going to prove?”

1 28 29 30
  1. BiggeMike says:

Nate questions things..that is good….In his post on Nov 4 he states that he is christian. That has many inferenerces that I won’t get into here. I just want to remind him that most of the world, buddhist, muslims daoist, etc out number christians……who is right? Will the real G-d please stand up!!!!!! or more to the point can we learn to live with each other despite our differneces?
    john

2. Dmitriy says:

There are too many replies to go thru but just wanted to reply back to the original writer of the “hate” mail.

David,

While I actually see where you are coming from and agree that many times Pastafarians and atheists can be somewhat of a**holes to others with religion. And hey, free country, right? They can dish out bull and so can the Pastafarians. But, I believe this religion and site is here out of principal. If creationists want to teach our kids creationism in schools, they should also teach this. Because why not? How is your religion different then mine? Because you believe in it doesn’t make it true. So this is basically here to make a point. That’s all. Almost all my friends are religious, my parents are (Jewish and Christian)… While I love to argue about it sometimes with them, I respect their freedom to worship or do whatever they like in this country… BUT, as soon as they overstep the boundaries of leaking religion into schools, public offices, etc. (and in this way dumb down our future generation)… THIS site and THIS religion is what I use as an argument because, lets face it… it should be treated them same as their religion.

3. Rasputin says:

Ramen, Dmitriy! Everyone is allowed to believe any rubbish they want. Just don’t use irrational beliefs to justify harming others.
    Liberty. Can’t beat it.

• Rasputin says:

George Bernard Shaw once wrote, “Homosexuality doesn’t particularly bother me, providing it’s not made compulsory”.
      I take the same view about other people’s beliefs.

• Keith says:

I have to say that other religions DO bother me, as they influence political and social decisions which affect everyone.

• Rasputin says:

That’s true, Keith.

4. Matheus says:

It’s simple to understand why people tend to feel mocked or to get ofended BY US.
    People are so frail with their childish beliefs… WE DISTURB THEM.
    Same thing happens when you question someone’s method, like when you have a teacher’s way of teaching something put to check:
    Let’s say I let my high-school teacher know I didn’t understand what he just explained to me and I (dare) to ask: could you explain that in a different way?
    They tend to get mad sometimes, because they only know ONE way, the way they learned, the way they’ve been doing for years, and through all of these years people have been pretending to understand… Sounds familiar?

Same thing happens with vegetarians (like me): I never tried to push my way of living onto other people. Still, it’s very common that people feel offended or even challanged once they know I don’t eat meat, they go like: “What do you eat?!” Really, is there nothing else to eat but meat? They make fun of me. They try to make feel bad for doing something differently than how I’m supposed to.
    The point is: that’s the way they learned. you can’t just BE different.
    THAT’S HOW THEY MANAGED TO PUT TOGETHER A SET OF DEFENSE MECHANISMS THAT GETS THEM THROUGH LIFE. FROM THE VERY BEGINNING.
    WE ARE TAUGHT TO DO SEVERAL THINGS WITHOUT HAVING AN OPTION SINCE WE ARE BABIES.
    DEEP DOWN, THEY ALL KNOW THEIR RELIGIONS ARE ALL MADE-UP CRAP. IT’S A SWEET LIE. AN ILLUSION THAT MAKES IT EASIER – NOT TO SAY POSSIBLE – TO STAY ALIVE.
    IT IS THE MATRIX. SO TO SPEAK…
    AT LEAST FOR ME, REALITY IS A MADDENING NIGHTMARE, WHERE RELIGIONS ARE A FLOATING MAGIC BOX THAT PROVIDES PROTECTION ON A SEA OF DESPAIR AND CHAOS IN WHICH WE’D DROWN IF LEFT WITH NOTHING TO HANG ON.
    THERE’S MORE TO IT…
    SPECIALLY when it comes to something that no one understands – like DEATH – you start pushing people’s biggest buttons: their fears.
    AND THAT’S WHAT RELIGIONS ARE ALL ABOUT. FEAR.
    WHEN YOU QUESTIONS SOMEONE’S WAY OF DEALING WITH REALITY IT’S THREATENING FOR THEM.
    THIS HAPPENS ALL THE TIME AND IN MANY LEVELS:
    CLOSETED CASES HATING GAY PEOPLE.
    PEOPLE WHO HAD A LOT OF ABORTIONS THROWING WORDS AGAINST THAT.
    AND SO MANY MORE.
    ________________________________________________________
    WE ARE BETTER OFF WITHOUT THE FLOATING BOX THAT RELIGION IS.
    BUT… MOST PEOPLE WOULD DROWN.
    WHILE A FEW OF US WOULD LEARN HOW TO SWIM AND HOW TO BREATHE UNDERWATER AND EMBRACE MADNESS.
    ___________________________________________________________________________
    TO SUM THINGS UP: FEELING OFFENDED OR MOCKED IS VERY NATURAL BUT STILL IS VERY DEEP.
    WHEN YOU QUESTION THEIR WAY OR WHEN YOU SIMPLY LIVE YOUR LIFE A DIFFERENT WAY… YOU MAKE THEM THINK OR RETHINK. THE CASTLE OF CARDS THEY BUILT THEIR LIVES ON MIGHT COLLAPSE…
    __________________________________________________
    THIS SAYS EVERYTHING:
    “They are playing a game. They are playing at not

playing a game. If I show them I see they are, I

shall break the rules and they will punish me.

I must play their game, of not seeing I see the game.”
    _______________________________________________________
    KNOTS
    by R.D. Laing

PS: SORRY FOR THE CRAPPY ENGLIGH. NOT MY MOTHER TONGUE…

• The Sauceror says:

Dear Matheus, you make many excellent points– in better English than most English speakers, I might add. I should point out that not all religions are the same. Our religion, for example, is really quite different– and that’s even by our own admission. As our frozen solid Russian monk, allegedly with English connections, Rasputin says, “We hold a shiny colander up to other religions so they can see how warped and full of holes their views are.” That may not be an exact quote, but I believe it is pretty close. Ramen and welcome to a very different kind of religion.

• Captain Birdseye says:

Matheus, if you are in High School, and write that way, I believe you are destined for a doctorate in philosophy. Visit your nearest university on their Open Day and chat with the lecturers in psychology.
      No need to perceive ‘maddening nightmares’ in the thoughts of others. Let them be, and hang-out with the sane.

5. Rasputin says:

Dear Matheus, please PLEASE return here more often. Share your wisdom from us. Only one piece of advice: Keep it shorter!

1 28 29 30