Rebecca’s FSM Inspired Valedictorian Speech

Published July 2nd, 2011 by Bobby Henderson

valedictorian_artwork

Seniors in my high school are allowed to paint a mural on the walls of the art room at the end of the year, and I chose the flying spaghetti monster. I also mentioned the flying spaghetti monster in my valedictorian speech. I’ll include it in the email. I hope the mural lives up to the image of his noodly appendages.

Valedictorian Speech Below

Hi, everyone. Before we get our diplomas, I want to tell you all a short story. The story of an art project I did. At the end of the year, each senior in art is allowed the opportunity to preserve themselves in a mural on the walls of the art room. I decided I wanted to paint one. The only question was what would I paint? I considered pop culture references and inspirational flowery messages of hope, but ultimately, I decided on something I thought was strange enough to inspire interest and maybe a few people could look at it and see something uniquely for themselves. I chose the flying spaghetti monster. For those of you who don’t know, the flying spaghetti monster is the emblem of the “pastafarian” movement, which is a rather silly group that questions the validity of blind acceptance, instead promoting logic. I did not choose the flying spaghetti monster to make a political or religious statement. To me, the flying spaghetti monster represents an ideal I think is being undervalued in our society—the ability to laugh at things that are ridiculous, and more importantly, the value of being ridiculous and silly. A thing does not have to be serious in life to be important. I think that that’s something I never really understood before. The importance of being unapologetically ridiculous, the joy that humor can bring, the profundity of absurdity; it’s all so clear to me now. The outlandish can instill wonder and happiness. What better reason is there for art? And so I painted the flying spaghetti monster, hoping that someday, someone would find in it a muse of silliness for their own life, something to tell them to be novel and unafraid to take chances.

If I could offer you all one bit of guidance from my life to your own, whether you are going to work, college, or the military, it would be that when life gives you the chance to go on an adventure, always take it. It doesn’t have to be the literal road trip, or journey-through-the-jungle-kind of adventure. It just has to be something new. And it doesn’t always have to be a place. An adventure can be a job, or a class, or a person. Always remember to push yourselves out of your comfort zones. Most of my regrets from high school have been not going on an adventure because I was too afraid of failing. And I don’t think I’ve ever regretted an adventure either, even if it rains, which usually does happen. It’s taken me a long time to understand this, but living in the moment doesn’t have to be a bad thing. The realization that absolutely everyone dies and that this single day will mean very little in the larger scope of my life has allowed me to let go a bit. Relinquishing those fears that we bear as shields over our hearts is never easy, but well worth it, however uncomfortable it may be.

So, as we walk into a different stage in our lives, I encourage you all to improvise, to sample everything, to search until you find a dream, and fight until that dream is realized. Remember to search for wonder, and every now and again, let curiosity get the best of you, for it’s the only way to continue to grow, and always keep your heart and mind light. In the words of a great playwright and my favorite author, “Life is too important to be taken seriously.” Stay gold, everyone."

-Rebecca

73 Responses to “Rebecca’s FSM Inspired Valedictorian Speech”

1 2 3 4
  1. Keith says:

Stirring words Rebecca and a wonderful painting. The style reminds me in some ways of the paintings on the walls of Pompeii (without people humping each other).

2. lolhoofd says:

woud make a nice piece of propaganda

3. BigBoneDP from OZ says:

Nicely said, Bec.

4. Brap Gronk says:

Rebecca, may His noodly appendages continue to guide your feet across the dance floor, and your heart through this amazing thing called life.

5. Big Guy says:

encouraging a teenager to disrespect other’s with her back handed mockery of Christendom is another sign of our apocalyptic times we live in. Christians are under attack from atheists agnostics idol worshipers and the devil himself.
    It won’t last long then until the truth in the living Jesus will be popular once again. These kids today have no idea the damage they are doing to themselves and their eternal souls.

• CopaceticMan says:

Hello again Big Guy. I remember you from other posts. You and your anti-atheist speeches. Your hate speech against your fellow man. It seems as if you are the same big guy from other posts, so I will assume you are.

The sad thing is, is that there was no mockery in her speech. Only one reference to logic and the FSM. Everything else was just talking about what the FSM is to her. The fact that logic is offensive to religion (in your opinion) just shows how depraved your version of religion is. And the sad thing is, you’re not the exception. You are almost the rule. The only type of religious person I respect are the ones who use logic to attempt to prove their religion. CartesianTheist (youtube) is one example; and these Christians are few and far in between.

I almost feel sorry for you. You, a respectable person, becomes a bible-thumping lunatic when it comes to religion and what you believe.

Please, for humanity, think.

• Camel Licker says:

Fantastic post.

Well done to Rebecca, excellent painting and thought provoking speech. If only there were more people like you in the world!

• tekHedd says:

Nobody reads your comments because you have nothing to contribute. Seek counseling.

• theFewtheProudtheMarinara says:

I’ve read through Rebecca’s wonderful speech twice, and have not seen any reference to Christianity or even religion in general. I suppose what Biggie objects to is the idea of thinking for yourself – something we’ll never accuse him of.

Jesus is alive? You’d have figured the papparazzi would have plastered his picture all over the world despite how well he’s trying to hide.

• His Wholyness the Cook says:

You need to change the filter through which you view the world. The one you are currently using is obscuring your vision to the greater, and more important realities that are out there. The FSM is not an “idol” it is a “symbol”. The people, like you, who call themselves “Christians” are their own worst enemy. You have invented a war that does not exist and make your own system of superstition look so ridiculous with your claims and shortsightedness, that you yourself are driving people to look for existential answers in other places. When you insist on seeing everything in terms of offense directed at you, in the same way Muslims like to play up, then you must take responsibility for becoming an object of fun. Everything is not about you. Rebecca’s message is one of hope, joy and optimism, of looking into things and questioning the memes and background of our current social milieu. This message is as applicable to Christians as it is to anyone else.

6. Apprentice Frederic says:

My great and profound (and serious, LOL!) thanks to Rebecca for her beautiful reminder that there is so much to laugh about in the world.

7. Big Guy says:

laugh while you can a time is coming where laughter will be hard to find

• TiltedHorizon says:

“Time is coming”

Echoed ad nauseum for the last 2000 years, had yet to materialize. Broken clocks have a better track record telling time.

• Big Guy says:

Oh now you are convinced it’s 2000 years not the 2500 you argued earlier

you folks are so self serving it’s pathetic…
        it’s not surprising you would stroke each others ego’s…

• Apprentice Frederic says:

….nor that you stroke your own – uh – ego. And, please, Biggy, drop the fucking apostrophe…

• Apprentice Frederic says:

Nor that you would stroke your own – uh – ego. And, please, Biggy, drop the fucking apostrophe.

• TiltedHorizon says:

I think you are mistaking me for someone else, I forgive you, I know your long term memory leaves a lot to be desired. I am not judging your handicap.

• Apprentice Frederic says:

Turn a couple of pages on your calendar, the rapture was in May. We’re still laughing, and – for my part – NOT at the billions of humble, compassionate, and tolerant real Christians. But thank YOU for YOUR comedic inputs.

• Jooby says:

Punctuation is your friend.

• Drained and Washed Clean says:

Are you kidding? Not even punctuation wants to be friends with BG. It actually just ran away screaming at the suggestion…

• His Wholyness the Cook says:

Yes you are right. We live in an uncertain world, where disaster, death and destruction happen without notice. I agree that we should all learn to take joy whenever and wherever we find it.

8. Randy says:

A valedictorian eh? It’s not coincidence that the smartest people in the world are Pastafarians, which PROVES the FSM is real and the only “logical” religion.

Congratulations on your achievement, Rebecca!

1 2 3 4