Austrian Wins Right To Wear Pasta Strainer In Driver’s License

Published July 13th, 2011 by Bobby Henderson

colander2

Pastafarian Niko Alm has won the right to wear a colander as religious headgear on his Austrian driver’s license.  Congratulations!

Niko Alm first applied for the licence three years ago after reading that headgear was allowed in official pictures only for confessional reasons.

Mr Alm said the sieve was a requirement of his religion, pastafarianism.

The Austrian authorities required him to obtain a doctor’s certificate that he was "psychologically fit" to drive.

The BBC article is fantastic and can be found here.

4x4Colander

You can follow the link to (google’s translation of) Niko’s blog: here.

164 Responses to “Austrian Wins Right To Wear Pasta Strainer In Driver’s License”

1. Screwy Puppy says:

Heretic!

I know we should embrace contradictions, don’t take ourselves seriously, and we have no strict rules, but what of the beautiful pirate regalia? Is he really a pastafarian? After winning such a legal battle why choose an accessory that is not recognized as a part of our garb? Is he mocking us?

Just as the cross was used to crucify christ, can’t the colander be used to trap and dry out the creator? Why would you turn to a symbol that destroys your center of faith as a symbol of strength? That makes no sense! ( I AM TRYING to embrace the contradiction. )

Maybe I am too conservative and want to hold onto traditional values. Maybe I just fear change.

• theFewtheProudtheMarinara says:

It’s a hot summer. The colander would appear to be a sensible, cool alternative to the traditional tri-corner.

• His Wholyness the Cook says:

It is a holely tool to prepare the sacrament. Without the colander I could not prepare the salad, nor drain the pasta.

• nun ya biz says:

reccomendation…u make colander jewelry. tiny colander earrings, necklaces.

I m waiting still 2 b converted. But respect ur beliefs, in meantime.

2. 0gods says:

As a member of the NH (no headgear) sect of FSM worshipers we decry any attempt to deceive followers of the FSM into believing they must embrace anything real to receive the full benefits of a personal relationship with our lord god and most high Flying Spaghetti Monster.

May the Abundantly Tasty and Most Righteous God of Pasta Be With You.

• robyn says:

I saw the article about the headgear and I then asked my daughter (who says she is a pastaferian) why she was not wearing the official gear ;I even offered to buy her a strainer.
      Her answer was that she belonged to the Select Reformed Pastaferian Church , an offshoot that does not require one to be “paster”.I am worried about this.What other practices have these heretics abandoned for comfort and convenience?Will my grandchildren still be deemed sufficiently Pasterfarian?

• His Wholyness the Cook says:

One of the beauties of Pastafarianism is that orthodoxy is a matter of personal choice. Remember that there is no dogma here, and self expression is the right of all Pastafarians. Personally I believe a sacrament of spaghetti served with my own special sauce and personally designed meatballs served with Lambrusco once per week with friends, over witty conversation and mutual joy in each others company, is pretty much de rigeur. Others may disagree and invite me to a feast of lasagne. I am not one to stand on my high horse and refuse a congregation offered in good faith. So robyn, I would not fear. It is not heresy. It is the free expression of opinion. Sometimes the joyful interaction we have over my spaghetti and wine can get heated, but our differences add to the joy of communion. I will have strainer wearers and non-headgear people sit down to communion with me, and we shall have mirth and joy together. For what is life without friendly discord, discourse and a salad course.

May the blessing of Pasta always fill your belly and enliven your mind.

3. lord barbecue says:

It appears to me that the Austrian officials are the ones that really need a psychological examination. Government officials are known for having no sense of balance or humor, but those guys seem to be wound especially tight.

4. Sarah says:

Come Join this Facebook Page Everyone

‘The Right For All Pastafarians To Wear Spaghetti Strainers In Their IDs’

And support the cause :D

5. Sarah says:

Come join this facebook page, and help support the cause.

‘The Right For All Pastafarians To Wear Spaghetti Strainers In Their IDs’

6. Anna Dean says:

Love it ! Haha Islam may be offended though, haha, who cares? Not me!

7. James says:

This was actually found to be fake. There are apparently no laws against headgear for Austrian driving licences so he didn’t fight any legal battle

• m610 says:

References, please!

• nun ya biz says:

Persons wear religious symbolry about their persons all the time & since 4 example ive known persons that never remove such adornments, there r likely 2 b heaps of photos with this or any such symbols. A pendant just as effective id think

8. Fifi LePew says:

This story got airplay on NPR’s “Wait Wait Don’t Tell Me” show of July 16 on the “bluff the listener” segment. Guest player failed to discern this was the true story.

• Sarah says:

I’ll have to listen to that one, I missed it. thanks!