Austrian Wins Right To Wear Pasta Strainer In Driver’s License

Published July 13th, 2011 by Bobby Henderson

colander2

Pastafarian Niko Alm has won the right to wear a colander as religious headgear on his Austrian driver’s license.  Congratulations!

Niko Alm first applied for the licence three years ago after reading that headgear was allowed in official pictures only for confessional reasons.

Mr Alm said the sieve was a requirement of his religion, pastafarianism.

The Austrian authorities required him to obtain a doctor’s certificate that he was "psychologically fit" to drive.

The BBC article is fantastic and can be found here.

4x4Colander

You can follow the link to (google’s translation of) Niko’s blog: here.

161 Responses to “Austrian Wins Right To Wear Pasta Strainer In Driver’s License”

1. hugh says:

aaarrrr yes. Saint Niko Alm a special table shall be reserved for ye at the right noodle of His Noodliness the Divine Lord of Pasta and Sauce. Praise be to Jar Pastafari.
    RAmen.

2. StJason says:

I can’t tell ye all the kind of giggles it breaks me out in what when I hears me religion being discussed on major news outlets…

3. Donne says:

Im a beliver, thanks for opening my eyes

4. Brother Burned says:

As a born Austrian I can physically feel the pain and frustration, Brother Alm had to go through on his way to achieve what he did achieve. Not only does Brother Alm deserve respect and a significant advance share of the monthly production of the stripper factory (let alone the beer volcano), his achievement should also be considered and recognized as a true sign!

Why a true sign:

Brother Alm is a Wiener (a citizen of Vienna, the capital of Austria).
    The famous “Wienerschnitzel” was actually invented in Milan, Italy.
    What else came fron Italy?
    Right: Spaghetti!
    Do I have to say more???

I therefore suggest that “Wiener” should become a rank in the hierarchy of the FSM!

• foobarr says:

Wienerschnitzel, of course, is a breaded veal cutlet… what Americans think of as a “Wiener” is a Wienerwurst (Vienna sausage).

• Brother Burned says:

True, the famous „Wienerschnitzel“ is in fact a breaded veal cutlet, not to be confused with the „Schnitzel Wiener Art“ which – as we all know, is a breaded pork cutlet.
        The Vienna Sausage, commonly referred to as “Wiener”, as well as “Frankfurter” or just “Frank” is of course a sausage. Undoubtedly we can agree on that.

However, looking at it from a less culinary point of view, the term “Wiener” is also often associated with a completely different piece of meat which should not be breaded and/or fried at all. I strongly assume most male Pastafarians will agree with me on that.

From a geographical point of view, a Wiener is a person who lives within the boundaries of Vienna, Austria. Brother Niko Alm lives in Vienna, hence he is a “Wiener”.
        It is my opinion that Brother Alm’s achievements for the worldwide recognition of the FSM deserves more than a simple “Hell Yeah!”.
        From now on, “Wiener” should be a title, a rank an expression, used for and given to anyone who actively contributes time and energy in order to spread the word (“Arrrh”).

• wulff says:

Furthermore, the breaded veal cutlet blends together with the pasta quite nicely in a proper Veal Parmigiana. Clearly a sign of the high regard we should afford him.

• Sky says:

lovely.

• Max tdc says:

B.B., Actually, spaghetti came from China. ‘Taters ‘n’ tomatoes came from the New World. Hmmmmm? Now, what do you make of those bagels? Max

5. m610 says:

A very appropriate statement, in the spirit of the scared “Kansas letter”. And as far as him making FSM an official religion, I guess seeing that the current crop of official religions are nuts, it seems a good time for the nutty religions to become official. Not that FSM is nutty. Noodlely, actually.

6. Patrick of Noodlesbury says:

I do hereby nominate Brother Niko Alm to be the Bishop of Austria. An almost martyr for the cause of peace, freedom, and marinara for all. What says the Ponificate of Pasta and the congregation? Can I get a “Hell Yeah!”

• midnight rider says:

Hell yeah!

• PlagueChicken says:

Oh HELL YEAH!

• Pilot Wench says:

Hell yeah !

• rationalone says:

Hell Yeah!!! I second the nomination!

7. luxcat says:

I was so moved by his evangelical (angelhairical?) actions that I might just convert to Pastafarianism.

Great are the ways of the Noodle.

8. Pesto says:

The word of the FSM is spreading. I first heard about this in a text from my brother, who is not a Pastafarian – at least not yet. It had to have been in the mainstream media. More people are being touched by His Noodley Appendage every day!

R’amen