Austrian Wins Right To Wear Pasta Strainer In Driver’s License

Published July 13th, 2011 by Bobby Henderson

colander2

Pastafarian Niko Alm has won the right to wear a colander as religious headgear on his Austrian driver’s license.  Congratulations!

Niko Alm first applied for the licence three years ago after reading that headgear was allowed in official pictures only for confessional reasons.

Mr Alm said the sieve was a requirement of his religion, pastafarianism.

The Austrian authorities required him to obtain a doctor’s certificate that he was "psychologically fit" to drive.

The BBC article is fantastic and can be found here.

4x4Colander

You can follow the link to (google’s translation of) Niko’s blog: here.

161 Responses to “Austrian Wins Right To Wear Pasta Strainer In Driver’s License”

1 2 3 10
  1. Scott Martin says:

I would like to thank this brother of FSM for his staunch beliefs and standing up for his religious rights in the face of adversity. Wowed by his dedication I have joined the Church and has another 7 who have just joined as well. This may very well herald the 2nd coming!
    I feel that I have been touched by his noodly appendage!

• Rubus says:

This does NOT herald the 2nd coming – it heralds the 2nd HELPING! :-)

• Steve says:

Well done !

Consider me a newly signed member of a non sign up religion !

Hail the Colander

• Rational one says:

I too feel overwhelmed by the courage exhibited here, RAMEN!

2. Darth Milhous says:

I was having a crisis of faith, but I too have been moved. Brethren of FSM, Pastafarians, it is my understanding I can have all-you-can-eat garlic toast and absolution with any confession of 5 or more sins. I know Christianity can’t beat that. So far, the best offer has been from some Lutherans promising a bobble head dash Jesus and a hall pass for the Heavenly Gates to be redeemed only after death… Gosh, I was hoping for, at least, a Pot-Luck dinner. Can you advise me… show me the light meal?

3. TiltedHorizon says:

I raise a glass of a frosty cold holy libation to Niko Alm, his three year quest against his detractors was surely riddled with hardship but he never wavered. Beer & Strippers await you.

FSM be praised.

A warm welcome also goes out to Scott and the seven who joined FSM.

• stylusmobilus says:

*raises tankard Yarrh!

4. ron says:

Does he have to wear it all the time while driving or can (and will) the police stop & fine him if he does not as when not wearing glasses to drive if needed AND would this be religious persecution will await first case….

• pastafarian says:

As I have read somewhere else, he is not required to wear it at all times. This is becuase the FSM only wants him to wear the pasta strainer on oficial photos, that´s what he told the austrian authorities. He however also states that from now on he expects to be mobbed by the maximum extent alowed by the law on every police control he gets into.

Source: http://www.spiegel.de/panorama/gesellschaft/0,1518,774219,00.html

5. Aknaib says:

I have been moved by Mr. Alm’s sacrifices for his holiness the FSM and will be the 8th to newly join with Scott.

6. B. says:

This is great. Both the news and that the site has been jammed packed with new visitors and members.

R’Amen and welcome to you all!

Yarr!

7. Tam Lin says:

From the BBC article: “A self-confessed atheist …”. That’s a bit like self-confessing to a 150 IQ.

Also from the article “… the Christian theory known as intelligent design …”. Theory?

Please tell me that by the article being “fantastic”, you meant the real definition (“imaginary, without basis in fact”), and not the incorrect yet popular “neato keen”.

• Keith says:

I admit the words in the article are badly chosen. It could have read “a self proclaimed atheist” but the term “self confessed” is widely used in what is loosely called “modern journalism”, even for those who are proud of their attitude or status.
      You are right. So-called “Intelligent Design” is not necessarily a christian concept but its most vocal prponents are christian fundamentalists. It is not a theory, either. It is a fantasy cooked up by little pixies who live under Fly Agaric.

• Drained and Washed Clean says:

On this site, it has been posted repeatedly that this is about all religion being kept out of school. You posted the author’s, so you must realize that the founder of our organization did not write the article. You obviously read it, so you know that he nor any other Pastafarian are quoted as saying those things. So, you and your 150 IQ couldn’t figure out that if you have a problem with the vernacular perhaps you should speak to the writer?

• Devout Heathen says:

A theory is any systematic and coherent collection of ideas that relate to a specific subject. Theories can be true, false, not proven, unprovable, and what have you. So yeah, Intelligent Design *is* a theory. As theories go, it’s a pretty useless one, because it allows its users to explain away almost anything by pointing out that the Great Intelligence did it, and I honestly can’t see how people intend to prove the existence of such an Intelligence. The current strategy seems to be to point out that certain things cannot have evolved because they are too complex to have evolved. The Creationist’s little friend, the bombardier beetle, long served as just such an example. Still, this strategy is based on the premise that if we can’t tell how something evolved, then it didn’t evolve. Which is a non sequitur, as it may have evolved in ways that we can’t tell.

8. Kaylen3 says:

Joint me up, join me up, joint me up!!
    Where do I sign…
    I will spread the word (I already have), buy the t-shirts, mugs, stickers AND jump through hoops!
    Can an Australian be an ordaned minister?

• Kaylen3 says:

Oops, that was meant to be “join me up, not joint me up” deh

• Drained and Washed Clean says:

I believe either is acceptable if that is what you choose :)

• Capt'n Irwige says:

Aye, ye can be an Australian minister Kaylen3! Join us!

1 2 3 10