About the trolls

Published July 12th, 2011 by Bobby Henderson

image

There’s something of a troll problem in the comment discussions.    I think the BigGest offender has now finally been convinced to find another venue, but there will be more in the future who are bent on being disruptive.

Short of moderating all comments before they’re published (meaning it may be hours before they become visible), the options are a bit limited in what we can do.  We have a few options but some trolls are persistent at getting around the obstacles.

One thing I wanted to make clear is that there is no opinion filter.  The whole spectrum of opinion is welcome here – and especially when commenters are representing a minority view (strongly religious, for example) I feel obligated to give them the benefit of the doubt.  What I am saying is, unpopular opinions are as welcome as popular opinions, but all comments must be somewhat civil. Commenters who are only disruptive will be asked to find a new venue. This last trouble-maker was ejected because he was trying to ruin the peace (and succeeding), not because he was religious.  Many people asking for his removal were in fact Christians who felt he was giving Christians a bad name with his ranting.

The question is what to do with the comments left behind.  It was argued that we should leave them in place to avoid any precedent of deleting comments.  This makes sense to me.

For those looking for a more structured discussion forum, the FSM Forums are available and run a much tighter ship.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions about the troll and for your patience.

200 Responses to “About the trolls”

1 2 3 8
  1. Bobby Henderson says:

I’ve archived his comments here: http://www.venganza.org/trolls/big-guy.htm

• bruceo says:

Some are wondering if this archive is a good idea; that it might give him an inflated sense of “importance”.
      I believe it is a good thing because seeing all those comments, one right after the other, (846 over a 3-month period!?) shows everyone exactly how insane that insect is.

• stylusmobilus says:

Originally I was of the opinion that it would be better to remove them all based on some of the rather offensive stuff directed especially at IA, Atsap and others. Upon thinking however, the archive is a great indictment on how some religious people can be deluded, and gives us a great body of reference to what an internet troll is.

• Mark says:

Do we have to call them “trolls”? [Happens to be my last name]

• Spammyboy says:

Why has this been slammed into grey purgatory? I’m rating it up! And may tomato sauce stains be upon you forever :)

• wulff says:

Spammy, many of the comments on multiple threads have been receiving obscene numbers of down clicks by roaming trolls. Just keep up-clicking and encouraging others to do the same until the problem is taken care of.

• alan says:

Perhaps you should have volunteer moderators enforcing commenting rules. And your first and only rule should be: don’t feed the trolls. Trolls thrive on the attention they receive and quickly recede if no attention is given, so instead of punishing the trolls, have a talk with those who are obviously feeding them.

2. Stophe says:

Wow, that Big Guy gives me the creeps.

Thanks for the moderation!

3. Wench Melody (UK) says:

Thank you, Bobby!

At least we have seen for ourselves the depth of moronic tedium some feeble-minded fanatics can achieve, I suppose.

But the air seems cleaner than ever now in our church – all praise to His Noddliness!

May we all (even trolls) be touched by His Noodly Appendage

M X

4. Keith says:

Well we all have our differences of opinion but that character was way off the scale. Hopefully future disagreements will be confined to one or two posts where people simply agree to differ.

5. TiltedHorizon says:

Despite all his claims of promoting Christianity and saving souls, this ‘Christian Warrior’ attacked his fellow Christians with equal disdain. Seeing ‘evil’ under every rock, in every corner, but never in the mirror. It’s poetic justice that Christians requested to have him look for another venue. Hopefully the sting of this hits home.

• Mal says:

R’Amen to the TH.

I also wanted to make sure that this was said before it started another argument. It was stated many times that if BG had been open to civil discussion, there would have been no problems with him. However, every attempt to have an adult debate with him was met by insults and judgement. That is the only reason that he wore out his welcome here.

We do like to discuss our “beliefs”, or lack thereof. Most of us are perfectly willing to debate as much as someone would like as long as it remains civil. I hope we can all enjoy this bit of peace before the next troll shows up.

Mal

• theFewtheProudtheMarinara says:

“every attempt to have an adult debate with him was met by insults and judgement”
        Is it just me, or are people being radicalized by having media sources that pander to their opinions?
        It can’t be only in America that there are TV stations which give only one side of the political spectrum,
        while branding anyone who disagrees with them in the slightest as [enter insult here].

And at least with politics you can come out with historical trends and charts. Faith has very little to do with facts.

• Keith says:

It’s not just you. In Australia we have both print and broadcast media (in particular individuals in print and broadcast) who are mouthpieces of various political and ideological factions. Many of them seem to veer to the right. Politics in Australia does not rely on facts or evidence, as the current opposition leader clearly demonstrates. It is fitting that on the television here “Parliamentary Question Time” comes directly after “Playschool”.

• theFewtheProudtheMarinara says:

Tell me Keith -
          1. Does Rupert Murdoch own that media like he does here
          2. Do you think he really believes the garbage he spews, or is he just pandering to the rabid?

• Keith says:

1) Try this site http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/datablog/2011/mar/03/rupert-murdoch-bskyb-takeover
          2) No. Just like any politician I don’t think he believes what he says unless it is something to the effect that all ordinary people are pawns and should be used by the rich and elite for whatever purpose they see fit. I know that strays dangerously into New World Order Territory. I think Murdoc sees himself as a Joe Frederson with a Rotwang by his side. If this baffles you watch the film “Metroplis” or read the adaptation by Thea von Harbeau. The sight of the workers going into Moloch’s jaws is an iconic image in moviemaking.

• Spammyboy says:

Who’s been rating down all the legit comments?

• Sky says:

spammyboy, it was thedevil, but it would appear to be that he was taken care of.

6. stylusmobilus says:

Yes, it’s sure sweet not seeing this trolls’ garbage today. Hopefully, he gets the message and stays away.

Seeing today’s posts as opposed to those over the last couple of months, without interference from BG was quite surreal, and for some reason I really appreciated seeing them. It was like a huge yoke has been lifted off all our heads.

Thanks Bobby for acting in a decisive and complete fashion and for giving us the archive too. On thought, it is a good idea that they are still around. I think we can all come from this experience better equipped to deal with trolls. We should be happy, knowing Pastafarianism doesn’t just offer us reason, belonging and team but also learning experiences.

May Sauce Be With Us All!!

• M.A.C. says:

On the subject of keeping trolls away, is it possible to block the I.P. address of BG (or any future trolls)? I’ve done some admin work for an online game and that’s how we made sure the trolls stayed away.

• stylusmobilus says:

Already been taken care of, M.A.C.

7. Metal Head says:

Woo hoo! Thanx much, bobby.

The only thing I found truly alarming about Big Dunce’s presence, was the raw volume of posts. He would sometimes post DOZENS of replies in a single hate mail thread.

It was becoming the Big Guy Show, where the strong majority of the posts in a given thread were either Big Clown himself, or a post in response to him.

8. TiltedHorizon says:

Man…. I just read through the archive, that’s a lot of hatred to take in at once. (a great many directed at his favorite people, myself included) I have to take a bath now.

1 2 3 8