Vandalism update

Published June 16th, 2011 by Bobby Henderson

KTVZ in Bend put up an article about the community response to the Bend church vandalism.  Very cool – I am happy to see this.

To most people, there is nothing humorous about crime, or religious beliefs.

But a group with a name many would find amusing is very serious about helping two churches vandalized in its name.

Word of Sunday night’s tagging spread to Pastafarian members with the Church of The Flying Spaghetti Monster and atheists across the country.

One of them decided to do something about it – from halfway across the country.

"You know, when I saw this church get vandalized and someone did it, I guess through atheism or Pastafarianism, I just figured the church, even though they are wrong and even though I disagree with their beliefs, they didn’t deserve this," atheist Hemant Mehta said Wednesday. "So I think a lot of readers on my site would agree with this, so I asked them if they would consider chipping in."

Hemant Mehta, who goes by "the friendly atheist," created a church cleanup donation fund online from his home in Chicago.

You can check out the full article here.

Thanks again to everyone who chipped in to the cleanup fund.

33 Responses to “Vandalism update”

1. random man says:

muhahahaha! (translation: you are all idiots!)

• Mike says:

Someone needs to grow up.

2. Randy says:

What the FSMhell is going on in this comment thread? I thinks we may have a few trolls.

• Just Me says:

Considering that trolling is effectively virtual graffiti, I suspect they were attracted by the graffiti articles

3. lolhoofd says:

the article dident say Pastafarians donated to :(

• StJason says:

Worse! They said we were an ANTI-RELIGION group!!

“..including two churches marked with an anti-religious group’s initials, police said.”

They do mention the cleanup effort, but as ‘an atheist’

“Among the church markings was “In Praise of the FSM,” a reference to the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Word of that vandalism prompted an atheist to start a fund to help clean up the church vandalism, which drew several thousand dollars in donations.”

KTVZ now ranks as one of the worst news outlets in the world. Anti-religion religion, indeed….

4. Encyclodpedia Brit says:

What is going on with this thread? These people are gross and weird. Icky.

5. Just Me says:

Should somebody put a mention of this event on the wikipedia fsm page?

6. Big Guy says:

How about cleaning up your act as well.

This joke you’re referring to as a religion was formed as a protest to the teaching of creationism in US schools.
    Nothing more that a silly blog that attracts atheist with a Christian ax to grind

• Big Guy says:

And brings out the worst of the worst in the faithful, such as my hating rants.

• Vinny says:

*Sighs* I understand fundies like you are completely incapable of taking any accountability for their actions, but this is downright pathetic. So now you’ve moved on from “Satan is tempting me!” to “Those naughty Pastafarians are making me nasty against my will!” and you actually expect to be taken seriously by anyone with a brain? Here’s a hint for you; if you’re going to post offensive messages, at least have enough self-respect to admit you enjoy it. Because right now you’re not even worth laughing at. You’re just a sad example of some of the personality problems caused by severe religious indoctrination, and quite frankly an embarassment to your own religion.

• Saintsalive says:

Very well put. I haven’t seen all of the hateful rants by this guy, but I’d like to, because it’s kind of funny to hear people arguing with themselves about things.

• Big Guy says:

Vinny

get a life and start living what are you doing in the hatemail form if you have thin skin?

grow a pair and offer me something constructive instead of your spurious chide, I’ve heard it before.

7. insert clever name says:

i’ll make this easy for you to understand…

Shut.
    Up.
    Already.

• Big Guy says:

which Big Guy are you directing this shit at?

• Big Guy says:

Is it me or is it the impostor?

Either way everybody knows who I am and that means winning…not whining you want a little cheese with that?

• TiltedHorizon says:

Yes, everyone does know you…. as the poster child for hand cream & disposable tissue paper. Jesus must be proud.

• Mal says:

TH, one must exist to be proud. Dust in the ground has no emotion.

• Just Me says:

Yay, got them.

And they weren’t even targetting churches, just trying in vain to be funny.

They shoulda tried using lolcats.

• lolhoofd says:

woud been atleast a bit of fun in that vile deed