Vandalism is Not OK

Published June 15th, 2011 by Bobby Henderson

image

Last night, vandals spray-painted “Praise the FSM” and pirate-fish on two Christian churches in Bend, Oregon.

This is not ok.  This is counter to everything we stand for and acts like these only set back our cause.  I don’t know who did this, but I will try to find out.

image

From KTVZ in Bend:

"Praise the FSM": These are the words written, spray-painted and tagged across not one, but two churches on opposite sides of Bend Sunday night.

When Pastor John Bluebaugh of Christian Life Center got the news Monday morning, his first thought was, "Not again."

"Really, what went through my mind was, about six months we were tagged as well," said Bluebaugh. "It was the same kind of deal — different symbols, different sayings, but the exact same places."

There are markings left six months ago from vandals who drew Harry Potter-type slogans across the church.

Now, they’ve got a whole different mess to deal with. The graffiti apparently refers to The Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, an online group of people who claim they do not believe in religion but rather in what they call Pastafarianism.

Let’s set an example and clean this up.

Hemant Mehta of Friendly Atheist has started a cleanup fund.  Please chip in if you can.

From Hemant:

I don’t know how much the cleanup will cost, but if more money is raised than they need, I’ll give the rest to Foundation Beyond Belief (an organization that encourages atheists to give to secular charities).

Just a note: I know there is a feeling by some that it’s not our place to raise money for Christian churches. But let’s be clear, this is only about making a bad situation right. It’s in our interest to send a message that we don’t approve of vandalism. Ideally it will be our response that people remember, not the vandalism by a few who don’t get what we’re about. So, let me just say thank you to everyone who has chipped in, and especially to Hemant for organizing the fund.

59 Responses to “Vandalism is Not OK”

1 2 3
  1. StJason says:

How do we know these were Pastafarians? We already deal with a constant parade of threats to life and afterlife here, is it really too much of a leap to think that some malicious group did it to cast hate at Him?

…personally, I blame the Ninjas.

• Brian Fritzen says:

I think it is Big Guy. It would make sense.

• lolhoofd says:

i doub he got the guts for it, trolslarent know for coarage if they indenty may be figered out

2. Bobby Henderson says:

I’d guess it was kids who thought they were being clever. I hope there are no True Pastfarians who would do this.

• stylusmobilus says:

Yeah, that was my initial thoughts too. I just tried to donate but I apparently have zippo in my account. I’ll be back Friday to do it. I don’t think so Bobby, but I hope not either.

• Andrew Hall says:

Trying to argue who is a true Pastafarian is similar to arguing who is a real Christian or how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. Realistically speaking, in any movement (or non-movement as Pastafarianism is) there will be outliers who are trouble makers.

Being clever with a can of spray paint is like slicing a tomato with a dull knife.

• tekhedd says:

So what you’re saying is that being clever with a can of spray paint is difficult and requires perserverence and talent? :)

They probably made a cool pirate fish stencil and were looking for a place to use it. Although the pirate fish is really designed to be used in inverse, otherwise the patch doesn’t look right. So, they should have actually made a pirate fish bones cutout and sprayed, say, a circle of black with an inverse fish in the middle. That’s what I would have done–so you know it wasn’t me!

Anyway, I doubt the people who did this would even claim to be Pastafarian. They just want to vandalize a church, and aren’t particular how. Which is pretty lame.

• Imperial Maniac says:

Yeah they pretty much just using his name, they aren’t pastafarians, they had already vandalised it with harry potter slogans before.

• Tyler says:

You do know the Gospel comes with that pirate fish stencil right? You do know pastafarianism is a direct insult to Christianity, right?
          Saying anything else is ignorant, and you’ve clearly never read the satrical gospel.

On a side note: the graffiti was removed within minutes (the majority of it was water soluble poster paint, go figure), congrats. on raising 2.3 thousand dollars. I’m sure it’ll go towards great things. Like stopping the progress of marriage equality, or stopping the progress of abortion rights. Or who knows, maybe it’ll go towards some of those little crackers and lots of juice.

• Mr Cooper (all hail FSM) says:

angels dont dance, at most they waltz but theyre too angelical to dance
        so your argument is invalid

3. Devout Heathen says:

Damn and blast them. They make us all look bad. I suppose the thin, *thin* silver lining is that we’re now apparently big enough to attract clueless morons who want to belong. (Yeah yeah has already happened, shut up in the back there). I *like* this weird little corner on the net, where smart people do silly things with serious undertones. And damn it, this is an infection of stupidity that this place can well do without.

• Lynda says:

As though the religious community needed another reason to hate us, this is bull.. And I’m sure all of us here agree, Devout, we all love this little website that allows us to let loose and just enjoy the insanity. I’m sure that we all try to maintain a semblance of tolerance when dealing with the outside world and here we don’t have to, which is nice. We have more than enough nut bars who like to troll the site trying to ruin it we don’t need this kind of publicity.

4. Ellen says:

I live in Bend and I think it is Awesome that you are starting a fund to help pay for the clean up. It shows dignity and honor, and although people may not agree with you, they can’t say you endorse any of that behavior. Good for you!

5. Theo says:

“people who claim they do not believe in religion…”
    Huh? We do believe in religion! The religion called “church of the FSM.”
    Not that grafity is good.

6. Bhevarri says:

This is really disappointing =(
    I wish it was easier to get messages like this post out to the world, that the CoFSM doesn’t approve of this. You just know there will be some people who think this is WHAT WE DO. No fun.

7. Adrian D. says:

It is an outrage that any of our members could stray so far from the I’d Really Rather You Didn’ts. While this may be an attempt at piracy, an early form of pilaging, such an act not only angers the public but also diverts funds from our great pirate ship.

8. wulff says:

I’d be willing to lay odds that the culprits were actually x-tians trying to make us look bad. Does anyone know where giB yuG was while this was happening?

• GregFromCos says:

No need to flock to a conspiracy theory, because the thought of the FSM movement having knuckleheads in it, is too distressful. Young people (and sometimes older people) can do stupid things, thinking they are helping.

• tekhedd says:

Nah!

More likely some other people that want to vandalize a church and not get blamed for it. Maybe some religion that believes that Christians are going to hell, but would love for *us* to be discredited–say some different Christian sect or angry Islamists.. Much more likely to be dumb-ass teenagers who think they’re clever. We have some tagging clubs in this town. Stupid, but it gives them something to do on the weekends. But what the heck, when the alternative is to be involved in some aggressively chaperoned “youth group,” I’m not sure what I’d do.

(*My* hometown didn’t have gangs, we had to form cliques on our own, the old fashioned way, without help from an established crime organization. Kids these days!)

• Encyclodpedia Brit says:

@Tekhedd

Thank you for making my day better by typing that up. I was sincerely amused.

• Zuri says:

Of course. Blame the nearest Christian.
      Will you get your head out of the sand? Do you even know what religion is? I thought not.

• Zuri says:

Meant to reply to another comment, sorry.

1 2 3