His awesome petulance, a tornado sighting

Published June 4th, 2011 by Bobby Henderson

Tornado Crossing Countryside

If one looks closely, one can see the mighty Flying Spaghetti Monster controlling the forces of nature in His awesome petulance.

-Doug

Here’s some more evidence I suspect to be fake.  Created by a competing religion to make us look bad, perhaps.  The FSM is not a force of destruction, as far as I know.

Note — I got a few emails about this from people who feel the post is not funny because people died in the tornadoes. I agree, but the purpose wasn’t just to make a joke, the post was (supposed to be) directed at a theme in religion we find tasteless: the inclination of mainstream religious leaders to attribute natural disasters as the work of God – i.e. blame the victim.

50 Responses to “His awesome petulance, a tornado sighting”

1. Doug Morgan says:

I was certain I was being touched by His noodly appendage as I created what I thought to be a divinely inspired image. But now that I think about it, it was probably the wet dishtowel I had slung over my shoulder that I was taking to the dirty clothes hamper when I got side tracked playing with Photoshop.

• Karol says:

I like it :)

• Doug Morgan says:

And now that I rethink thinking about it again, the message His Holy Noodliness was sending to me was probably that it is He, in His Infinite Mercy, interceding in a tornadic event and ending its path of destruction. Were is not for the FSM, tornadoes would form and continue indefinitely while others are spawned. Before long we would be plagued with hundreds of tornadoes roaming our neighborhoods night and day. Praised be to You, Oh Flying Spaghetti Monster for sparing all of mankind that horrible fate! RAmen.

• Anonymous the Pastafarian says:

@Doug

Exactly.

• tekHedd says:

If his noodly members touch everything, surely they touch *everything*. Still, what are you doing!? Bad spaghetti monster! No! Darn it, where’s the newspaper?

Perhaps the artist thinks that FSM is sometimes careless or thoughtless, in that he gets involved in what should be completely random and chaotic forces of nature. These seem like negative qualities in a deity, though. Well, I guess anyone can get carried away. But this seems wrong somehow. (But there’s no denying that it’s a cool image as such.)

As far as being inconsiderate of the victims of natural disaster, well, it may look that way on the surface. But isn’t it better to feel that you are being directly punished by a supernatural deity that cares about you than to feel at the mercy of terrible forces beyond human control? I don’t think so, but apparently a majority of people do, so I must be wrong. :/

2. Big Guy says:

This is definitely a fake. Destructiveness and deadliness are the sphere of yahweh/jesus/holy spirit/trinity/father (which are all one and the same, and they are fully man and fully god). No other deities are permitted to get engaged in these kinds of activities monopolized by my religion.

• CheeseSauce says:

Don’t we have Antitrust Laws specifically made to break up Monopolies? I think we should put them into effect. But no, I don’t think the FSM is in charge of this. Maybe the Antipasta?

• Ari says:

What the picture only shows to those that look carefully is that the “tornado” the FSM is creating is really just a very tiny wind funnel which he’s using to stir a pot of noodles. Everyone knows you have to stir noodles so they don’t stick to the pot. :D

3. Danimal says:

We’ve all heard the anecdotes about how a tornado will destroy one house and leave one right next to it untouched. Some people ascribe this to chaos theory but in truth the houses that were “passed over” actually had noodles hanging above their doors thus causing the FSM to spare the true pirates within. From now on if you are ever in a tornado watch/warning hang some pasta on your door frame. Pretty sure this will save your house unless of course the FSM is drunk, then all bets are off.

• Doug Morgan says:

Another safety measure would be to live in a pirate ship. As far as I know, there have been no pirate ships destroyed by tornadoes.

• Anonymous the Pastafarian says:

Or it’s also possible that those tornadoes were just a noodle wide.

• Anonymous the Pastafarian says:

@Doug: Waterspouts FTW.

4. Alpha says:

The photo is an obvious a fake, but that does not preclude the real presence of His Noodliness within that tornado. If we know anything, we know that nothing happens unless the FSM makes it happen. Why the deaths and destruction? Who knows… the FSM works in mysterious ways, always to a Higher purpose.

Did YOU get side-tracked while playing with Photoshop….. or did He cause you to get side-tracked? I guess we’ll never know the answer to that.

5. TimmyAnn says:

Considering how many people died and how many others lost their homes in tornadoes recently I am not really sure I am ready to find humor in tornado images, you know? Besides, why would we want to associate His Noodliness with something like that?

• Randy says:

I think sinister elements may be acting to engage us in that “spiritual warfare” I have heard the lesser religions tell about. Silly them, tho, because little do they know, Pastafarians aren’t dumb enough to think the FSM would ever bring harm to anyone. Just as we don’t kill in His Noodly name, He doesn’t kill and bring destruction to others.

I do like the artwork tho, Doug. Perhaps I am wrong about the “spiritual warfare”. Maybe His Noodlyness was just a little drunk from the Holy Beer Volcano when He touched you. I do look forward to seeing other “divinely inspired” works of Noodly art from you!

• Doug Morgan says:

I rethought my rethinking. See my reply to my original message. And thanks, but the real thanks go to the artist who created the original FSM artwork from which this is a derivitive–and of course to His Holiness, the FSM through Whom all things are possible. PBFSM.

• Randy says:

Doug,

Please forgive me and my mis-interpretation of His Noodly Wonderfulness. Since you explained it to me, I can now see Him stopping that horrible tornado.

Praise be to His Noodlyness!

• TerryDarc says:

If Pat Robertson can say Katrina was the homasexools fault, we can speculate that his Noodlyness was doubtless to PREVENTING damage by this particular event. Let’s not be too quick to point our noodly appendages at the FSM (Pesto be upon him).

6. lolhoofd says:

nice picture,
    tho proby not the FSM
    unles it headed for big boys’s home

7. StJason says:

While the Spaghetti Monster DOES create tornadoes, this is not the way He does so.

To show his displeasure in the lack of pirates, he has been gradually increasing the global temperature. This in turn increases evaporation rates, which leads to bigger and more frequent storms, including the systems which generate tornadoes.

However, He does not get His noodles dirty by personally involving Himself in things. The only thing I can think of is that it might be Him interceding in the stopping of a tornado. Perhaps to save a True Believer, midgit, or perhaps a cache of basil leaves.

• Doug Morgan says:

It could also be that destructiveness is simply the lack of FSM intercession–like darkness is simply a lack of light. All storms are a result of a low pressure system in the atmosphere, while high pressure systems produce pleasant weather. And what would be the cause of the different pressures? It would be the varying amount of pressure the FSM exerts by pushing down with His noodly appendages in order to keep things from floating off into space. Therefore, less downward pressure by His appendages = lower atmospheric pressure and vice versa. I thank the FSM for giving us our very special brains to arrive at these answers to His mysterious ways. RAmen.

• StJason says:

Ooo… That’s a good point.

8. Pastor di Semola de Grano Duro says:

Is it possible that the FSM (Pesto Be Upon Him) is attempting to direct the twister away from His Beloved Creatures?

• Doug Morgan says:

It is difficult for us mere mortals to understand the mysteries of the FSM, but I have come to believe one thing is certain: His actions are ultimately benevolent. I have prayed to the FSM on this matter and, in the absence of a response, I must assume this to be true or He would have corrected me. PBFSM.

• Justin (FSM fearing pastafarian) says:

People always want to say why does FSM let children starve in Africa? Why not grace them with spaghetti?
        But ultimately, the blame of human suffering is on HUMANS, not FSM. He gave us free will, and starvation/volcanic eruptions/tornadoes/AIDS/Cholera are a result of the free will.

I’m so tired of ignorant people asking silly questions. Obviously the FSM is benevolent.