Is it time for an FSM billboard?

Published June 7th, 2011 by Bobby Henderson

billboard2Can you picture it?  It could be amazing, if we do it right.  I’ve mentioned it before and had mixed responses.  Here are my thoughts:

It can’t be negative.  As an example, I was not a fan of the You Know It’s A Myth banners put up by the American Atheists.

image

I am in favor of the AA’s substantive causes but I found this billboard campaign smug and petty (I feel the same about campaigns to remove Christmas trees from public venues).

The high road.  If we put up a billboard, it must be a positive message – it must promote us and our ideals, not attack another group.  Satire and nonsense are great, attacking Christianity is boring and counter-productive.  I have no problem slamming Cthulhu and/or the IPU (She is in my drawing, also btw).

Send me your ideas/drawings. I’ll post them here. What would make a good billboard?  A pirate ship “full of beer and strippers”?  That might be interesting.  It’s been a while since I’ve seen a drawing of the Beer Volcano.  Send your submissions to me and we can decide what would look best.  We’ll worry about paying for the billboard space next.

Submissions (so far):

image

#1.  See the World, by Doug.

image

#1(b). Have you been touched, by Doug.

image

#2. Try Pasta, by Jo (Cardinal Fang)

image

#3. Touching, by Dan.

image

#4.  Teaching our children the truth, by Wayne.

image

#5.  Try FSM, by Kelly.

image

#6.  Main course for the soul, by Younger.

image

image

#7.  Two designs, by Doug.

image

#8.  I’d really rather you didn’t, by Jeffrey.

365 Responses to “Is it time for an FSM billboard?”

1 4 5 6 7 8 24
  1. Nefnora says:

The main question is… what is the CotFSM trying to be? A community aiming for a certain goal? That is, getting rid of religion in science class? Or any other goal? Or a community for similar minds to gather?
    The CotFSM started out with the first: a sarcastic letter to keep religion out of science class. People supporting that cause and similar causes gathered, and others joined because they liked the community. Which of the two do you want to promote?

And sorry, but “we don’t take ourselves too seriously” isn’t going to cut it. This topic should be discussed to tears before even considering launching a billboard campaign.

To me, the CotFSM was a hilarious, brilliant, sarcastic, but brutally honest way of portraying religion in general. But over the past few years, the community has been in a stand still as far as ‘the original cause’ is concerned. For example, if you scroll through the news of the last year, you’ll see that by far most post are about ‘sightings’ of His Noodleness. I get it, it’s a fun community. Making stuff to appear like the FSM is enjoyable and it’s understandable you want to show it to the world. Still, it’s no wonder a lot of people can’t take ANY of it seriously, from the moment they laid eyes on their first ‘noodle sighting’. Who cares if the underlying message is actually dead serious?
    Do you honestly want to launch a billboard campaign and draw attention to this website? Attention, as some are hoping, including TV networks like CNN?

If it was just spreading the word about a nice community called the CotFSM, I’d say you’re free to do whatever the hell you want. Actually, you still are. It’s not like I can stop you. But the moment you launch a campaign leading to a website with little beyond wonky pictures featuring blurbs of pasta of a ‘god’ created to get religion banned from science class, you’re dealing a massive blow to anyone seriously trying to get religion banned from science class. If you don’t see how, just try to remember what Anonymous did to Wikileaks with their ‘support’.

I’m not telling you not to do the campaign. I’m telling you not to do it half-assed.

I suggest creating a whole new website as the forefront of the CotFSM. Make it clear that, while both awesome and enjoyable, the CotFSM is a gigantic spoof to point out why religion has no place in science class. That should get rid of a good part of the hatemail and misunderstandings and bolster the support of both the religious and non-religious alike. And instead of some backwater link in the about page and occasional news posts, make this a major section of the website, preferably with summaries and direct link on the homepage. Add articles showing how the CotFSM grew. And rather than spamming the news with sightings, why not just make a genuine photo gallery for it, with the newest few thumbs also displayed on the homepage? And taking the merchandise down a notch wouldn’t hurt either: nobody likes a ‘good cause’ with muddied cash flow. Either that, or make the administration freely available.

• Apprentice Frederic says:

@Nefnora,
      FWIW, I think your comments are extremely pertinent! One thing that CoFSM could do more explicitly is organize targeting the giant harvest (tidal wave?) of anti-science wingnut candidates, starting with the “presidential” types and working down thru state and local officials. I think that that can be done respectfully (and with the same good humor as the Letter!), and “Creation Science Is Not Science!” is, albeit a little negative, not such a bad billboard slogan. In fact, there’s a lot more anti-science out there than just creationism, if anybody cares, and the posts I read suggest that many Communicants in the Sauce most certainly do care. I’d kinda hope that Bobby (may his shoulder be forever touched by HBNA) would mix into this discussion and respond to your post. I think, too, that the Forum is underused (guilty myself, M’Lud) as a meeting place for similar minds. Anyway, you’ve made great points.

• Brian Fritzen says:

Actually,

I was just here to get some pasta recipes. But if He keeps religion out of the classroom, it is a bonus.

2. ChristopherTK says:

Well, a billboard would be cheaper then a pirate ship. And besides, more people use the roads then the waterways.

• Saintsalive says:

Remember, pirate ships cost a million dollars. You moron. XD

3. Saintsalive says:

I thought of a few, how would I go about sending them in?

• Doug Morgan says:

To tell you the truth, I can’t remember where the link was when I sent mine in, and I haven’t been able to find one. I do know that it was done via email, but I sent two on Wednesday and two today to the same email address, and they have yet to be published here. Maybe set up an photo album on Facebook and make them available there. If you just have concepts, just post them and someone will take a shot at rendering them if they are so moved to do so. But I’ll have to defer to Bobby or others as to how to get images to be posted. RAmen.

4. Doug Morgan says:

I’ve added two more billboard mock-ups to my website at http://www.doug-morgan.com/Billboard/. These were inspired by Apprentice Frederic’s “Creation Science Is Not Science!” slogan. Thank you, sir. Pasta be upon you.

• Doug Morgan says:

Modified layout of both at 11:30pm PST

5. lolhoofd says:

as a thought, the payment for the billbod probly comes from our “pirateship colecting” found
    personaly i rather see the ship then a billbord

Ramen

6. Donald says:

The poster with “googly appendages” may upset a well known search engine and OS maker. Should it not read Noodly anyway

• Doug Morgan says:

My mistake. I was actually thinking of deely-boppers to describes the eyes of our Holiness, the FSM. Googly eyes are actually those little plastic stick-on eyes where the pupils rattle around inside a clear plastic shell. It would be more accurate to describe His Holiness’s eyes as deely-boppers with googly eyes affixed, but I found it hard to work that into a pity statement for a billboard, so I am withdrawing that submission. RAmen.

• Doug Morgan says:

Although withdrawn, the artwork has been modified in light of this development.

7. Nefnora says:

Just a few posts up I mentioned it would be better to build a new website before launching the campaign, because the current website isn’t suitable and might actually harm the causes the CotFSM supports.

I don’t want to spend too much time on it until it’s decided to actually build a new website, but here’s a quick concept:

I added links to ‘abortion’ and ‘homosexuality’ at the bottom because I found some news posts on them, but I’m not sure if the CotFSM intends to invest time and money into these two issues, or if someone just happened to write a news post on them.

8. CaptainSpork says:

Hope we will see a few of these billboards in the UK. We don’t mix religion with politics here – yet – but creationism is slowly making headway. Our Noodly Lord is relatively unknown here and we need a campaign.

• JK says:

ditto

• Spammyboy says:

I haven’t noticed any creationism here, and I’m actually IN the school system, so I would probably notice…

• Cap'n Flint says:

Good, that means FSM is successfully preventing the teaching of mythology in science classes (at least in your school),

• tekHedd says:

The very thought that creationism is “spreading” at all, anywhere is sad and ridiculous.

1 4 5 6 7 8 24