Is it time for an FSM billboard?

Published June 7th, 2011 by Bobby Henderson

billboard2Can you picture it?  It could be amazing, if we do it right.  I’ve mentioned it before and had mixed responses.  Here are my thoughts:

It can’t be negative.  As an example, I was not a fan of the You Know It’s A Myth banners put up by the American Atheists.

image

I am in favor of the AA’s substantive causes but I found this billboard campaign smug and petty (I feel the same about campaigns to remove Christmas trees from public venues).

The high road.  If we put up a billboard, it must be a positive message – it must promote us and our ideals, not attack another group.  Satire and nonsense are great, attacking Christianity is boring and counter-productive.  I have no problem slamming Cthulhu and/or the IPU (She is in my drawing, also btw).

Send me your ideas/drawings. I’ll post them here. What would make a good billboard?  A pirate ship “full of beer and strippers”?  That might be interesting.  It’s been a while since I’ve seen a drawing of the Beer Volcano.  Send your submissions to me and we can decide what would look best.  We’ll worry about paying for the billboard space next.

Submissions (so far):

image

#1.  See the World, by Doug.

image

#1(b). Have you been touched, by Doug.

image

#2. Try Pasta, by Jo (Cardinal Fang)

image

#3. Touching, by Dan.

image

#4.  Teaching our children the truth, by Wayne.

image

#5.  Try FSM, by Kelly.

image

#6.  Main course for the soul, by Younger.

image

image

#7.  Two designs, by Doug.

image

#8.  I’d really rather you didn’t, by Jeffrey.

366 Responses to “Is it time for an FSM billboard?”

1 3 4 5 6 7 24
  1. Jay Schmidt says:

Hi Doug

This will help you on your art spec question for standard 14′ x 48′ bulletins.

Artwork Specs:

bulletins: (1/2″ = 1′ scale)
    14′h x 48′w artwork needs to be 7″ x 24″

Please add a 1/4″ bleed to all sides of your artwork. Indicate with crop marks where the bleed starts.
    Artwork to be 300 DPI
    CMYK files or PMS colors indicated
    We accept QuarkXpress, Illustrator, InDesign and PhotoShop files. You can save your file as an EPS, TIF or hi-res PDF file. Please include all supporting images and fonts.

If we are to add in directional information or adjust your sizing, we will need a layered file.

2. Jay Schmidt says:

A couple of other things regarding design that will help:

Traditionally, the best color to use in outdoor advertising is orange. But any highly contrasting colors will work if there are additional design elements. Black / yellow would be an example of a good contrast.

I would stay away from using blue and white in the colors as they can often blend into the natural background with the clouds and sky.

Keep the copy (words) to 8 words or less.

A driver typically has about 6 – 8 seconds of view time to consumer the message. Keep the design clean and the message short and sweet.

3. gene says:

You should check out using http://www.epicstep.com for this campaign.

4. ian says:

what ever we do to the billboard can we please not use the font papyrus. please

5. G-man says:

#1 has my vote!

6. TiltedHorizon says:

Seems we are being talked about at the Friendly Atheist, I had a WTF moment there, to my surprise FSM is not liked by some fellow Atheists. :( Go figure…..

• Encyclodpedia Brit says:

@Tilted,

I was just as surprised as you were. I was shocked even by some of their hatefulness towards FSM.

My favorite comment was “People like to celebrate it just to have fun ridiculing religion in general. That can be a legitimate use too, if it is done with a light touch and not just for the purpose of being unkind.” I’m totally behind this guy. ‘

And lastly, what’s up with the guy who thinks FSM was started by someone’s kid? I think he may be referring to Bobby’s childlike drawing. But his idea that there is a conspiracy to cover up the true creator of FSM is laughable.

• Mr. A says:

Not only is it laughable, but the idea that there was a “creator of FSM” is of course blasphemous on the face of it…

• I'm Brian and so's my wife. says:

I liked this one…

“Atheists, like theists come in all shapes, sizes, and senses of humour. If you want to be the super serious, stick up your ass type of atheist, go ahead. But don’t look down on those who have fun with it and point out how ludicrous religion is by being ludicrous themselves. If you can’t poke fun and criticize yourself you really have no right to poke fun and criticize others.”

7. uknowimcool says:

GET A BILLBOARD IN CALGARY ALBERTA CANADA!

8. Deeptracks says:

How about a Picture of a male stripper (we don’t wanna look sexist do we?), two lesbians kissing (so the guys get something to ogle too) a nice cool glass of beer and a Portion of Pasta with the words NO Guilt over it and the url somewhere. It’s attention grabbing, positive and can be grasped while driving. It doesn’t openly attack other religions and those who claim it does have to first admit the guilting their Religion performs. The quip at guilting religions will make Pastafarians and atheists happy though.

• tekHedd says:

Hmm, to be fully politically correct, you should make sure that the kissing girls are clearly of different ethnicity and socioeconomic status. I’m sure we’ve missed some other important points here. Male pirate stripper? (oh dear)

• stylusmobilus says:

There also needs to be the relevant, current certification, on public display, regarding food handling, alcoholic beverage service and cleanliness of the strippers.

• Keith says:

There should be two of each type and they should all be boarding a pirate ship shaped like an ark. A male stripper, a female stripper, two guys kissing, two girls kissing, two glasses of beer etc. etc (fill in the gaps). That way everyone can have something to ogle at regardless of their preferences.

1 3 4 5 6 7 24