Is it time for an FSM billboard?

Published June 7th, 2011 by Bobby Henderson

billboard2Can you picture it?  It could be amazing, if we do it right.  I’ve mentioned it before and had mixed responses.  Here are my thoughts:

It can’t be negative.  As an example, I was not a fan of the You Know It’s A Myth banners put up by the American Atheists.

image

I am in favor of the AA’s substantive causes but I found this billboard campaign smug and petty (I feel the same about campaigns to remove Christmas trees from public venues).

The high road.  If we put up a billboard, it must be a positive message – it must promote us and our ideals, not attack another group.  Satire and nonsense are great, attacking Christianity is boring and counter-productive.  I have no problem slamming Cthulhu and/or the IPU (She is in my drawing, also btw).

Send me your ideas/drawings. I’ll post them here. What would make a good billboard?  A pirate ship “full of beer and strippers”?  That might be interesting.  It’s been a while since I’ve seen a drawing of the Beer Volcano.  Send your submissions to me and we can decide what would look best.  We’ll worry about paying for the billboard space next.

Submissions (so far):

image

#1.  See the World, by Doug.

image

#1(b). Have you been touched, by Doug.

image

#2. Try Pasta, by Jo (Cardinal Fang)

image

#3. Touching, by Dan.

image

#4.  Teaching our children the truth, by Wayne.

image

#5.  Try FSM, by Kelly.

image

#6.  Main course for the soul, by Younger.

image

image

#7.  Two designs, by Doug.

image

#8.  I’d really rather you didn’t, by Jeffrey.

371 Responses to “Is it time for an FSM billboard?”

1. Dr.awesome says:

the fsm with one of his noodly appendages descending down to a man hugging it with the slogan “FSM- our god is as loving as he is delicious.

2. Pastor di Semola de Grano Duro says:

These are all fantastic, but Doug, that entry is an absolute ripper.

• Pastor di Semola de Grano Duro says:

And a BIG thank you to Milek for his awesome painting, it was perfect!

3. chadachada123 says:

My vote goes for Doug’s along with a variation of Doug’s that says “Have you been touched? Pastafarianism. Venganza.org” with a similar feel and background picture.

• Doug Morgan says:

chada -

See http://www.doug-morgan.com/Billboard. Option 2 incorporates your suggestion.

• Pastor di Semola de Grano Duro says:

These would make fantastic stickers too. We’re nailing this. It has to be the FSM (PBUH) at work.

• Tigger_the_Wing says:

I love them! I do hope they appear in the shop as stickers and badges. Billboard posters would be a little impractical for me, but decorating my granny-walker, bicycle, trailer, wheelchair, badge waistcoat, etc.; that would be practical (piratical?).

• Rev Toni Rigatoni says:

Great stuff Doug, I especially like the first one (Bring truth back to the classroom) as that sentiment is at the very heart of what the FSM stands for, and I think it would pique the interest of the casual passer by rather than simply being dismissed as silly. I would love to see a poster campaign get underway I really would. As i have said often here, it’s about getting the message out to the closet atheists that abound and maybe get a few converts on the journey.

May the sauce be with you.

The Reverend

• Rev Toni Rigatoni says:

May the sauce be with you.

The Reverend

• Rev Toni Rigatoni says:

Sorry, clicked twice

• chadachada123 says:

Oh wow. I really like the lower 3 options. I would definitely chip in money for any of these, when/if we decide to push forward on this plan.

The one about not mixing what you know and believe is really sweet too.

4. Devout Heathen says:

I have no arts skills, so description.

Background: A gradient going from a starry sky to a blue sky with sun, perhaps a seascape with a pirate ship. In the foreground on the left, models of molecules, test tubes, formulae. On the right, the Image of our Lord and Pasta. In the middle, an attractive young wench, with a happy, confident smile. Molecule strands reach out to her from the left, His noodly appendages stretch out to her from the right.

Words, top left: What you know.
    Words, top right: What you believe.
    Words, bottom middle: Never the twain shall meet.

Stick in the URL somewhere, done.

• Doug Morgan says:

D.H. -
      I rendered your concept into a billboard. It can be found here (http://www.doug-morgan.com/Billboard/) and a copy has been sent to Bobby for inclusion in this page. RAmen, dude.

• Devout Heathen says:

Oh, that’s excellent! Glad to be of help.

• opiesysco says:

OMFSM, these are too funny.
        These are way better than mine. #3
        Doug, I really like your second one. It will leave people wondering and drive people to the website. Awesome!

• Brian Fritzen says:

It’s Time to Bring Truth Back to the Classroom. Classic. Simple. Straightforward.

In a word: Awesome. I love this one.

• Drained and Washed Clean says:

I love it! Nice team work guys! :)

5. Ubi Dubium says:

I’m going to echo the comments above about keeping it short and simple.

We need a bold graphic, a message that can be read in about 3 seconds, and our website name. We should also strive to keep it a positive message and give people a good laugh. Perhaps if our design is good enough, some of the other secular organizations might be interested in putting it up as well. Bonus if it would also look good on a T-shirt, since T-shirt sales could be a way to help fund this.

You know, the “Creation of Adam” banner on this website is really amazing, and I think it would make a really good billboard! At the bottom just add a message like “Have you been touched?” or “I want to believe!” and our website. It’s simple, churchy, funny, and the artwork is already done.

• Mr. A says:

I personally would find a “Creation of Adam”-esque one hilarious–I have that poster outside my office door–but fear that that would be seen as an attack on Christianity and nothing more, meaning that any publicity generated by the billboard would be of the “does one religion have the right to attack another” variety, rather than the “hey, I wonder what this is all about?” variety. In other words, the discussion would stall out at the offense taken by Christians and never reach the level of spreading the gospel of the FSM.

• Ubi Dubium says:

Or perhaps, just His Noodliness (pbuH) as above, with “Teach the controversy” and our website.

• Doug Morgan says:

I like the idea of using the banner as the billboard. Beyond the reasons mentioned by Ubi, it would also tie into the website. Having a consistent look&feel in different venues helps convey substance and would be a confirmation that the user has made it to the proper website from the URL on the billboard. RAmen.

• TimmyAnn says:

I really like the banner, too, but I have to agree with Mr. A. People would get so caught up in questioning whether it was an attack on Christianity that they would never get to real point.

6. Ham Nox says:

#4 is hard to read–I initially read it as “Touching our children — since 1995″. And while I love me a good, innocent “Noodley Touch” double entendre, I’m afraid we just can’t compete with the catholic church in that area…

• Pastor di Semola de Grano Duro says:

Yeah, sorry, I did mention to Bobby when I sent it that the text may need to be brighter.

7. I'm Brian and so's my wife. says:

I love the idea of your posters Bobby, but I’m not really sure it’s fair to describe the American Atheists billboards as “smug and petty” and imply that yours aren’t.

In my opinion the brutal honesty of the Atheists, and their refusal to ameliorate the message in order to spare the sensitivities of the delusional, is considerably LESS smug and petty than satirical mockery.

• tekHedd says:

OK, so you might have a point there. I still prefer satirical mockery, because it is funnier. :)

• Devout Heathen says:

Also, most boards on the site seem to say that you must drop your faith and become an Atheist, which I don’t think is the original message. The reason why this entire “movement” came into being was that the Kansas School Board wanted to have the Bible admitted as evidence on a par with Darwin’s work and years and years of evidence. *That* is what we’re here to protest against. Hence, my “What you know/What you believe” concept.

• Brian Fritzen says:

That is almost a slogan. But the idea of “years of evidence” for evolution is a bit of a misnomer. It is, rather, Mellennia of study and Eons of Evidence.

The Study of Evolution dates back, at least, as far as Aristotle. 4 Centuries before Jesus.

8. Encyclodpedia Brit says:

@ I’m Brian and so’s my wife

I see what you are saying about satirical mockery and it being smug and petty. However, I’d agree with Bobby on this. We are less likely to piss off loads of people if we keep it clean and tasteful, as well as be more likely to appeal to people. Not to mention, we are in no way looking to attack anyone, we are solely putting information out there because we aren’t saying your religion is a farce. We are just promoting ours.

• I'm Brian and so's my wife. says:

What was dirty and distasteful about the Atheist billboards?

I realize we have to say ‘on message’ for the joke to work, but let’s be serious for a second here. We absolutely ARE saying that “religion is a farce”. That’s exactly what we’re saying – by promoting our deliberately farcical religion.

The kind of people that were pissed off at the Atheist billboards will be more pissed off at this (if they get it) because it doesn’t just say that they’re wrong. It say’s they’re wrong and farcical. Few people like to be told they are wrong, but nobody likes to be mocked.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m not saying we shouldn’t do this. I agree with tekHedd above. I also prefer satirical mockery, not just because it’s funnier, but because I believe it get’s the point across more effectively, but let’s not pretend it won’t offend anyone. The atheist billboard is definitely less smug and petty than this!

• Brian Fritzen says:

I agree with Brian, and it isn’t just because he spells his name correctly. If you look at the atheist billboard it says You know they are all Scams. Religions are scams. You don’t have to be atheist to know that. And Celebrate Reason. I disagree. I also don’t see FSM as mockery. I think it more analogous to the argument for ID. If one group claims their fairy tale should be included, then all fairy tails MUST be included. It is a way of illuminating the discussion.

People don’t take it that way. Too bad for them. But an FSM billboard would have no different effect. These people wake up waiting to be offended. They will take offense to whatever billboard we put up.

The more rational, reasonable won’t give a rat’s ass and the most intelligent will check it out, get what we are about and then move on or join.

• Brian Fritzen says:

Sorry… my mind was wandering. I disagree that the atheist billboard is petty.