Is it time for an FSM billboard?

Published June 7th, 2011 by Bobby Henderson

billboard2Can you picture it?  It could be amazing, if we do it right.  I’ve mentioned it before and had mixed responses.  Here are my thoughts:

It can’t be negative.  As an example, I was not a fan of the You Know It’s A Myth banners put up by the American Atheists.

image

I am in favor of the AA’s substantive causes but I found this billboard campaign smug and petty (I feel the same about campaigns to remove Christmas trees from public venues).

The high road.  If we put up a billboard, it must be a positive message – it must promote us and our ideals, not attack another group.  Satire and nonsense are great, attacking Christianity is boring and counter-productive.  I have no problem slamming Cthulhu and/or the IPU (She is in my drawing, also btw).

Send me your ideas/drawings. I’ll post them here. What would make a good billboard?  A pirate ship “full of beer and strippers”?  That might be interesting.  It’s been a while since I’ve seen a drawing of the Beer Volcano.  Send your submissions to me and we can decide what would look best.  We’ll worry about paying for the billboard space next.

Submissions (so far):

image

#1.  See the World, by Doug.

image

#1(b). Have you been touched, by Doug.

image

#2. Try Pasta, by Jo (Cardinal Fang)

image

#3. Touching, by Dan.

image

#4.  Teaching our children the truth, by Wayne.

image

#5.  Try FSM, by Kelly.

image

#6.  Main course for the soul, by Younger.

image

image

#7.  Two designs, by Doug.

image

#8.  I’d really rather you didn’t, by Jeffrey.

361 Responses to “Is it time for an FSM billboard?”

1 21 22 23
  1. http://Www.youtube.com/ says:

Great post! We will be linking to this great article on our
    site. Keep up the great writing.

Stop by my webpage water filtration faucets (http://Www.youtube.com/)

2. drusselljuiceplus says:

However, this scene changed when more programmers became aware of virus programming and started building viruses that manipulated and destroyed data on infected computers.
    The says of free proxies and tunnelling services are over, and as the
    Chinese government begins to tighten its grip on what comes in and out
    of the country informationally speaking, the need for a vpn to bypass internet
    censorship in China grows every day. You can download Avast Free Antivirus for free from the Avast
    website.

3. best wp themes - stunningwpthemes.com says:

Hi there! Someone iin my Myspace group shared this sjte with us so I cae to check it out.

I’m definitely oving thhe information. I’m bookmarking and will be tweeting
    this to my followers! Excellent blog and terriific design and style.

4. asphalt says:

Pick from the fastest GT cars, sit in front of the gears and drop the pedal to the metal. Drift mania in rally racing with next-gen mechanics will satisfy any person. Pick your ride from many famous brands like ferrari, bugatti or dodge. Melt the asphalt on 8 various courses as you compete against the clock. Satisfy your need for speed by racing against other players in multiplayer mode. The gameplay model is made to drop you in the thick of action as you drive through the dust rising from the asphalt overdrive. As 8 races passed I still don’t feel bored by this app. This overdrive mobile app lets you to race with top racers like a professional in NASCAR or Formula 1. Plunge head first deep into extreme driving action in this sweet fresh mobile production. Life-like driving simulator allows you the opportunity to prove your racing prowess through plentiful challenges in intimidating courses all around the world. Put your prowess to test and top the scoreboards while pushing your gt car to the limits of your need for speed. Even Need for Speed World was repetitive after some time which is not the case in this fast and furious spiritual offspring. Need for Racing: New Speed Car even gives you the possibility to customize your ride by modding it anyhow you’d like. Underground drag competition intertwined with csr racing delivers the terminal gameplay experience.

5. Okcwebninja says:

OK, I found you after the article on the news about the Pastafarian in OKC taking a drivers licence picture. Good Job! and amazing PR out of it too.

I tried to read some of these responses, but I guess this issue got settled a couple of years ago?!? Most of these posts seem to have nothing to do with the billboard.

OK, I do marketing for a living. For about 10 years, and I fully support you guys, now that I have discovered you. Unfortunately my boss is very mormon, and I will have to support in secret or risk being religiously oppressed by a Mormon. I know hard to belive right? Anyway. Here’s what I think you should do about billboards:

#5 is on the right track, but I’m in Dallas, and that’s too tame for us here. I think other places too. I think we need sexy Pirate wench with a beer in both hands on top of an awesome sexy car. That should get peoples attention, and take up half the billboard. Once you’ve got it, use the other half to embed basically billboard #2 with the website name big on it.

This should be close to downtown Dallas etc. It will scare some church leaders who depend on zombie followers to pay off the lease on their Mercedes. Then it will end up on the news in Dallas, which would be great, if a proper spokesman is contacted (hence the contact info, of someone you trust)

Plan 2: create viral videos of sexy girls wearing pirate wench outfits with beer, and logos of FSM on the Pirate hats. Then sell “I’m a convert” t-shirts based on the videos. or “It never felt so good to be converted” would be even better.

• SillyKiwiMan says:

While one of our best features is loose moral standards, I’m not comfortable with objectifying women to attract followers.

The beauty of the stripper factory in heaven, is that strippers are produced to suit the taste of the individual worshipper. A combination of blondes, redheads and dwarves for myself, 6″ athletes with gigantic cocks for one of my friends, and puppies for my wife (she’s a bit weird). Nobody is objectified unless they want to be. Strippers one may find distasteful are simply invisible to said individual, so nobody gets hurt.

I don’t think we should be a faith with a similar business model to Hooters, and I don’t want to give buybull thumpers any more opportunities to claim that they invented morality.

On another note, being oppressed by the religious is nothing new. I am often looked down upon at work due to my lack of belief in christianity, and my Darwin fish tattoo has raised a few eyebrows. I live in a country (along with Keith (apologies to any other Aussie Pastafarians I may have offended by missing)) where the church has a stranglehold on politics, and the populace are not protected from this by the constitution. When I worked in healthcare, if you weren’t catholic, and hadn’t been to the right schools, your life was hell, and you had no chance of going anywhere with your career.

Yarrgh

p.s. Any of the faithful in Sydney, there is a pub in Redfern called the Angry Pirate, and I’m planning on being there on ITLAPD, I’ll be the one dressed as a pirate…

• Captain Birdseye says:

Advertising that objectifies women (or men) ensures that I will avoid whatever they are trying to sell. I wouldn’t want to be associated with the image of a ‘sexy wench on the bonnet of a sexy car…’. That’s the car that I will never buy.
      However, I do like satire and could easily imagine the likes of Blackbeard reclining in said pose, on the bonnet of a ship.
      SKM, I’m trying to imagine six-inch tall athletes with gigantic cocks, and, what their sport might be. It certainly wouldn’t be hurdles.
      If I was down in Sydney, I would certainly attend the Angry Pirate and would be the one with the inflatable parrot on my shoulder.

• SillyKiwiMan says:

Ha! 6″ indeed. My bad. I’ve since been informed that 5′ 10″ is tall enough. I guess the previous athletes would have to be competitive limbo dancers.

6. http://velvapvi.buzznet.com/user/journal/19224379/five-predictions-joseph-collins-punch/ says:

ΤҺe radio stɑtion paid fߋr the unsponsored shows.

my blog; joseph collins ρunch tv (http://velvapvi.buzznet.com/user/journal/19224379/five-predictions-joseph-collins-punch/)

1 21 22 23