Is it time for an FSM billboard?

Published June 7th, 2011 by Bobby Henderson

billboard2Can you picture it?  It could be amazing, if we do it right.  I’ve mentioned it before and had mixed responses.  Here are my thoughts:

It can’t be negative.  As an example, I was not a fan of the You Know It’s A Myth banners put up by the American Atheists.

image

I am in favor of the AA’s substantive causes but I found this billboard campaign smug and petty (I feel the same about campaigns to remove Christmas trees from public venues).

The high road.  If we put up a billboard, it must be a positive message – it must promote us and our ideals, not attack another group.  Satire and nonsense are great, attacking Christianity is boring and counter-productive.  I have no problem slamming Cthulhu and/or the IPU (She is in my drawing, also btw).

Send me your ideas/drawings. I’ll post them here. What would make a good billboard?  A pirate ship “full of beer and strippers”?  That might be interesting.  It’s been a while since I’ve seen a drawing of the Beer Volcano.  Send your submissions to me and we can decide what would look best.  We’ll worry about paying for the billboard space next.

Submissions (so far):

image

#1.  See the World, by Doug.

image

#1(b). Have you been touched, by Doug.

image

#2. Try Pasta, by Jo (Cardinal Fang)

image

#3. Touching, by Dan.

image

#4.  Teaching our children the truth, by Wayne.

image

#5.  Try FSM, by Kelly.

image

#6.  Main course for the soul, by Younger.

image

image

#7.  Two designs, by Doug.

image

#8.  I’d really rather you didn’t, by Jeffrey.

371 Responses to “Is it time for an FSM billboard?”

1 14 15 16 17 18 24
  1. Hugh Sharkey says:

A marketing strategy suggestion for the 30 day guarantee. In addition to the assurance that ” you can return to your old one” you could sweeten the pot with a money back guarantee and pay the shipping and handling.

2. Nate says:

My bud Mark Smith–JCnot4me.com–and I have been spoofing religion since the 70′s. I’m a Buddhist priest and hence an atheist, and Mark is just a good old atheist without any added Dhrama…er, Dharma. Buddhist stuff.

3. Kakistos says:

I’m having a crisis of faith. i’d forgotten about my former allegiance to the Church of Cthulhu (i’a) and am now torn due to the first picture. i have seen the truth of the FSM but also know the horrors that await us when the dark lord returns. i don’t know how this will all play out and fear for my soul :( someone. please, help me to see the way.

• Keith says:

Cthulhu is just Lovecraft’s mistaken image of the FSM. Lovecraft spent his entire adult life being paranoid. Let’s face it, anyone who hangs up curtains and keeps peering around them waiting to be kidnapped by squirrels is pushing rocks uphill to see His/ Her Noodliness as He/ She really is.

4. m610 says:

Has this happened yet? There have been a number of other bill boards up recently, most of them of the mean and petty variety, but #1 and #1b is really pretty, and positive, and funny, and serious. Please put one up on I-80 between Sacto and SF.

• Matthew says:

Definitely agree, he first two are the best by a mile. Positive, hilarious, look nicest/most professional.

5. John Goatbirth says:

ALL HAIL THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!

6. Ben says:

I think that a good sign would be to have a picture of a pirate at the gate of “heaven” and the F.S.M. in the background and you could have a saying that says, “pastifarianism, because otherwise your going to be very surprised when you get to heven and realize st. Peter is a Pirate”. or something to that effect

• Keith says:

Love the idea of St Peter being a pirate, Ben.

• Matthew says:

Incorporate that into the first two!

7. Diane says:

I LOVE the idea of a billboard. Just keep the strippers out of it, you don’t want to offend parents. I can see people on the evening news saying their children asked “mommy, what’s a stripper” after seeing the billboard.

8. Andy says:

#1a is my favorite. #2 is also very funny, but the design would need to be punched up…….

1 14 15 16 17 18 24