Is it time for an FSM billboard?

Published June 7th, 2011 by Bobby Henderson

billboard2Can you picture it?  It could be amazing, if we do it right.  I’ve mentioned it before and had mixed responses.  Here are my thoughts:

It can’t be negative.  As an example, I was not a fan of the You Know It’s A Myth banners put up by the American Atheists.

image

I am in favor of the AA’s substantive causes but I found this billboard campaign smug and petty (I feel the same about campaigns to remove Christmas trees from public venues).

The high road.  If we put up a billboard, it must be a positive message – it must promote us and our ideals, not attack another group.  Satire and nonsense are great, attacking Christianity is boring and counter-productive.  I have no problem slamming Cthulhu and/or the IPU (She is in my drawing, also btw).

Send me your ideas/drawings. I’ll post them here. What would make a good billboard?  A pirate ship “full of beer and strippers”?  That might be interesting.  It’s been a while since I’ve seen a drawing of the Beer Volcano.  Send your submissions to me and we can decide what would look best.  We’ll worry about paying for the billboard space next.

Submissions (so far):

image

#1.  See the World, by Doug.

image

#1(b). Have you been touched, by Doug.

image

#2. Try Pasta, by Jo (Cardinal Fang)

image

#3. Touching, by Dan.

image

#4.  Teaching our children the truth, by Wayne.

image

#5.  Try FSM, by Kelly.

image

#6.  Main course for the soul, by Younger.

image

image

#7.  Two designs, by Doug.

image

#8.  I’d really rather you didn’t, by Jeffrey.

347 Responses to “Is it time for an FSM billboard?”

1 13 14 15 16 17 22
  1. jowunger says:

What in hell is this website? What a joke. Good that I am an atheist and not believe in any of those 22 (or more) ‘storybook’ which are available.

• Mal says:

Wait, I’m confused. Are you being sarcastic or actually asking what this website is? I figured that you, as an atheist, would enjoy this site and all it has to offer. Perhaps you missed the point. Did you read the “About” page?

• Rev. wulff says:

He probably didn’t. It’s a sad commentary on modern life that people are too busy responding to things to know what they’re responding to in the first place.

• Thomas L. Nielsen says:

Jowunger, ui you’re being sarcastic, then good on ya, mate!

If not, then that sharp whip-crack-like noise you might have noticed a moment ago was the sonic boom of the point passing over your head at approx. mach 3.

Regards & all, and Ramen (and an Arrr….),

Thomas L. Nielsen
      Central European Aerospace Phenomenon Monitoring Station
      Luxembourg

• lolimauser says:

Unfortunately there are very stupid atheists who can’t even comprehend even the most blatant parodies and satires, this is a fine specimen indeed. See? Devolution is also a valid theory.

2. Aki says:

Personally, I loved the example with Cthulhu. I believe that with a little bit of tweaking we could make an actual billboard out of it. The only problem is that not enough people know what Cthulhu, but I believe that it would attract a lot of nerds who don’t already know about us into the religion. But if I must choose one, it would be #1 (either one).
    Since we are not worrying about the cost for now, however, #2 could be turned into a commercial for TV. We could start small, then work our way up.

3. Bobby G says:

I’ve been a christian most of my life, and I have to say without a doubt this is one of the greatest websites of all time. I am thoroughly amused, and I shall advocate His spaghetti reign wherever I go.

4. Jason says:

Number 1 with a bit of tweaking.

Its simple and humorous. Its most likely to get people talking.
    It does need some type of punch to drive the message home though.

5. Syphoneira says:

What happened to the ‘It’s only fair’ one?

The one that so concisely suggested that if creationism was to be taught as scientific theory equal to evolutionary theory in schools, that evolution should be taught on a an equal basis with mythology in Sunday schools?

Isn’t that precisely the type of message that was originally sent with the Flying Spaghetti Monster submission so long ago, that sauce for the goose was also sauce for the pasta?

It’s short enough to be read at a glance and would appeal to a wide range of people with functional brains.

And while creationists will certainly take offense at it, their offense will not be shared or considered reasonable by anyone else because it so aptly uses ‘turn and turn about’ in the manner of the original submission and obviously IS fair in this context.

It’s the sort of honest, piercing wit that can bring awareness even to those with short attention spans and/or the need to avoid creating abstract metallic sculpture all over the highway through melding with the cars ahead.

It says what needs to be said, if the point of the proceedings is to help prevent the corruption of science and children’s minds in the classrooms and to cause people to *think*.

Seriously, it’s the perfect concept and something that actually would stimulate interest in both the concept and the site without sidelining the message, despite the implicit humour.

Please, everyone, consider this?

The results that could manifest will affect us all.

• theFewtheProudtheMarinara says:

Oh, I agree! Bible study classes then might be compelled to bring in Australian aboriginies to expound on their creation stories. American Indians might tell the students it’s “turtles all the way down”, and I’m sure the Scientologists would gladly come in to talk about aliens and volcanoes. I’ll get busy on a presentation of Pastafarianism, just in case.

• darfree2dance says:

I would like all those who have spent their lives looking for something real…THIS IS NOT IT!!!!!! I am sadly anquished at the Body of Christ that they would so live as having a form of Godliness but denying the power within. You who have been wronged by believing in something that is false, I would like to invite you to come and view this website http://www.reapnow.org and experience the ONE and ONLY TRUE GOD!!!! There is healing for your weary souls and bodies. Jesus said, “I am the way, the truth, and the life and NO ONE comes to the Father except through me.” If you would like to accept Him as your Savior, say this simple pray with me… Jesus, I ask you to come into my heart and forgive all my sin. I believe that you died upon the cross and three days later rose from the grave conquering death, hell, and the grave. And I know that one day soon you are coming back to take us to be with you. I relinquish my past, I give you my present and my future. I choose to serve you with all my heart, mind, body, and soul. I love you Jesus and I thank you for loving me enough to die for me. AMEN!!! If you prayed this prayer we would love to hear from you. Contact us at http://www.reapnow.org. God Bless You!!!

• Keith says:

I’d be wasting my breath talking to empty air.

• TiltedHorizon says:

Yeah! ANOTHER schism of Christianity who has it right while all others are wrong. I am sure this one is “it”.

• Atsap Revol says:

darfree2dance,

Thank you for your fervid evangelistic message. I think I’ve heard it a few thousand times with only slight varations. It’s good of you to invite me to experience the ONE and ONLY TRUE GOD!!!! (Oops, I almost put only three exclamation points after GOD. That error would have indicated some heathen god who merits only three exclamation points.)

However, I am inclined to continue my belief in RAVEN!!!!! who rates five exclamation marks. Raven is really big out here in the northwest, and he appears on a majority of the totem poles. And why not? Raven created the world and brought light to the people.

May Raven bless you and “enlighten” you,
          Atsap Revol

• theFewtheProudtheMarinara says:

See, the problem is that I’ve heard all that hundreds of times, but I DON’T believe that Jesus died upon the cross and three days later rose from the grave conquering death, hell, and the grave. I’m not even convinced this man ever EXISTED, let alone was divine. In all probability, he was one of many minor prophets, and after his ordinary death his followers sexed up his image. Remember, there was quite the debate for hundreds of years whether or not Jesus was divine. The convoluted “Trinity” thing was invented to explain how a chunk of god could be walking around Palestine while still sitting on some cloud throne.

• Drained and Washed Clean says:

And you are assuming that a) a god exists and b) that we haven’t already been there done that. I bet we know more about your religion than you do!! Come on. Let’s play and see :)

• Wilburforce says:

I think It’s really cool that a zombie God like Jesus would allow me to consume his flesh and drink his blood. My parents forced me to consume the flesh of Jesus and drink his blood when I was in my early teens.I only wish that I had a priest who would have mentioned Jesus in one of his sermons so I could know what I was eating. I thought it was grape juice and crackers. Later in life I heardthe story of Jesus, and was told I cold live forever if I was washed in the blood of the Lamb. It looked like a kid’s swimming pool, filled with water. and I didn’t see any dead livestock (good thing too). After that I could eat Jesus every time it was offered and wash down chunks of his body with more blood. And then when I die,as long as I give 10% of my before tax earnings to the church, and vote republican, he will come back to my rotting corpse and make me a Zombie too. I just hope it’s real soon after I die because of the smell and chance of fungal infection.

• Iflos says:

It’s true. The bible is quite moving. I especially like the part where Jesus marries the tooth fairy. Their wedding was attended by Snow White and the seven dwarfs, and all the other princesses. Then Santa Claus took everyone shopping. And that’s why we celebrate Christmas.

• Keith says:

And weren’t you just gob smacked when, after the light sabre battle on the bridge God said “Jesus, I am your father”.

6. Joe Blow says:

1(b) is my favorite. It’s ambiguous and strange enough for me to remember and go to the website to see what’s up.

7. Iflos says:

I would like to see a sign that says “Studies have shown that the Flying Spaghetti Monster is more invisible than other Gods.” I have conducted these studies in my own mind, and I can vouch for the fact that the statement is true!

8. Shamit says:

”Our religion has the extra benefit of being delicious”

1 13 14 15 16 17 22