Is it time for an FSM billboard?

Published June 7th, 2011 by Bobby Henderson

billboard2Can you picture it?  It could be amazing, if we do it right.  I’ve mentioned it before and had mixed responses.  Here are my thoughts:

It can’t be negative.  As an example, I was not a fan of the You Know It’s A Myth banners put up by the American Atheists.

image

I am in favor of the AA’s substantive causes but I found this billboard campaign smug and petty (I feel the same about campaigns to remove Christmas trees from public venues).

The high road.  If we put up a billboard, it must be a positive message – it must promote us and our ideals, not attack another group.  Satire and nonsense are great, attacking Christianity is boring and counter-productive.  I have no problem slamming Cthulhu and/or the IPU (She is in my drawing, also btw).

Send me your ideas/drawings. I’ll post them here. What would make a good billboard?  A pirate ship “full of beer and strippers”?  That might be interesting.  It’s been a while since I’ve seen a drawing of the Beer Volcano.  Send your submissions to me and we can decide what would look best.  We’ll worry about paying for the billboard space next.

Submissions (so far):

image

#1.  See the World, by Doug.

image

#1(b). Have you been touched, by Doug.

image

#2. Try Pasta, by Jo (Cardinal Fang)

image

#3. Touching, by Dan.

image

#4.  Teaching our children the truth, by Wayne.

image

#5.  Try FSM, by Kelly.

image

#6.  Main course for the soul, by Younger.

image

image

#7.  Two designs, by Doug.

image

#8.  I’d really rather you didn’t, by Jeffrey.

366 Responses to “Is it time for an FSM billboard?”

1 11 12 13 14 15 24
  1. MaleVolens says:

“The high road. If we put up a billboard, it must be a positive message – it must promote us and our ideals, not attack another group. Satire and nonsense are great, attacking Christianity is boring and counter-productive. I have no problem slamming Cthulhu and/or the IPU (She is in my drawing, also btw).”

That seems both hypocritical and foolish.
    Firstly, if Mighty Cthulhu is fair game, baby jesus must be as well.
    Secondly, you don’t want to antagonise a god of pure hatred, lest you find yourself smiten in ways your darkest nightmares daren’t summon.

Or, in case of prolonged slumber (quite likely), Mighty Cthulhu might delegate, have a horde of Byakees remove (such is possible; question not the queer workings of the world) your still-conscious brain for study.
    I beseech you: heed this warning while it’s still time!

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu F’thagn!

• H.P. Lovecraft says:

Indeed, good advice generously offered. Mighty Cthulu slumbers restlessly, stirring now and then. Even the Mad Arab could not foretell the hour and day of His vengeful emergence into a naive and unsuspecting world populated by complacent fools. Stand ready to suffer the exquisite torture to be wrought by His Divine incalculable Power and His monstrous menacing thirst for unsuspecting souls.

F’thagn,
      H.P.L.

• Stinky Bill the Fisho says:

Yeah mate, I reckon I know where ‘e is aye. I got me new prawn net stuck in this big thing on Tuesdy an’ fuck me if it didn’t nearly drag me trawler down. Then this big green arm came out and smacked me boat in the stern, an’ I lost me whole drag set up, gone with the net.

Thinkin’ about droppin’ some dynamite over the spot, see if I can bring the big bastard up an’ hit ‘im with a ‘arpoon.

• H.P. Lovecraft says:

Stinky Bill, I beseech you, do not drop dynamite or further antagonize Mighty Cthulu. You may already have awakened Him from His shallow slumber. He eats Great White Whales with a bit of Tartar Sauce for a snack. You do not want to ‘arpoon Him, or you will suffer the fate of Captain Ahab, but with unendurable pain.

H.P.L.

2. Pasty says:

I think lets just lower the cost of cable

3. Landon says:

I love number 1 (b) You Have been Touched, but instead of “It,” it should say “His Noodly Appendage.”

4. Lehrling says:

I personally love #2; much more billboard-material, and very positive and informing. :)

5. Greg says:

1b and 8 are both good

6. Brandon Campbell says:

1B Looks Like It Would Be Billboard Material. And It’s a Good Poster.

7. Katya says:

#8!!! tnx for opp to comment :)

8. Werelynx says:

Maybe a billboard with his noodly sauceness saying: “May (his) sauce be with you!”

1 11 12 13 14 15 24