Is it time for an FSM billboard?

Published June 7th, 2011 by Bobby Henderson

billboard2Can you picture it?  It could be amazing, if we do it right.  I’ve mentioned it before and had mixed responses.  Here are my thoughts:

It can’t be negative.  As an example, I was not a fan of the You Know It’s A Myth banners put up by the American Atheists.

image

I am in favor of the AA’s substantive causes but I found this billboard campaign smug and petty (I feel the same about campaigns to remove Christmas trees from public venues).

The high road.  If we put up a billboard, it must be a positive message – it must promote us and our ideals, not attack another group.  Satire and nonsense are great, attacking Christianity is boring and counter-productive.  I have no problem slamming Cthulhu and/or the IPU (She is in my drawing, also btw).

Send me your ideas/drawings. I’ll post them here. What would make a good billboard?  A pirate ship “full of beer and strippers”?  That might be interesting.  It’s been a while since I’ve seen a drawing of the Beer Volcano.  Send your submissions to me and we can decide what would look best.  We’ll worry about paying for the billboard space next.

Submissions (so far):

image

#1.  See the World, by Doug.

image

#1(b). Have you been touched, by Doug.

image

#2. Try Pasta, by Jo (Cardinal Fang)

image

#3. Touching, by Dan.

image

#4.  Teaching our children the truth, by Wayne.

image

#5.  Try FSM, by Kelly.

image

#6.  Main course for the soul, by Younger.

image

image

#7.  Two designs, by Doug.

image

#8.  I’d really rather you didn’t, by Jeffrey.

371 Responses to “Is it time for an FSM billboard?”

1 9 10 11 12 13 24
  1. m610 says:

I should add that the IRRYD billboard could be turned into a series. Just add the IRRYD number to Jeffery’s, and for future ones, include that number as well. Of course, some IRRYD bill boards may play better in some markets than others.

By the way, I really like the whole IRRYD idea and think it is a major contribution to civilization.

2. Flouster says:

I think the billboards are hilarious (not the insulting one)! Quick off topic question does the FSM accept agnostics?

• wulff says:

The FSM, being a kind and loving creator, accepts all to come to be touched by His noodly appendages. Ramen and sauce be with you.

• Brian says:

We have friends and members from various religions as well as agnostics and atheists. Come one, come all!

3. Sam says:

Hey glad to see your web site just came because of the Austrian guy with the driving licence glad to see your website im rely glad that you highlighted that poster “you know its a myth ” at the top of the page i hate that poster its horibble or anything like that saying that im right your wrong. advertising like that it relly bugs me just wanted to say that ! your posters are good because they say exactly what religous ones do but in a good way ! thumbs up

• Aki says:

Spell check much?

4. Ron says:

I am drawn to this religion as a moth to a flame. I’m also prepared to be the Pope, Archbishop, Chief Rabbi or any other top office of the church. Are there any perks? Company car? Paid vacations? Salary?
    I’m also available as a savior-in-waiting, that’s the one who works at a fast food outlet preparing fish sandwiches.
    Let me know.
    PS. Are franchises available
    ?

5. Pawsrent says:

I like 1a and 8 the most.

6. Tyler says:

The Ocean one looks boss, just need better text.

7. Joy says:

I know the Cthulhu FSM board wasn’t up for votes but I would like to nominate it

• Sky says:

Already nominated ;)

8. PastaPastor says:

1b is my favourite, but well done on all the artwork.

1 9 10 11 12 13 24