Is it time for an FSM billboard?

Published June 7th, 2011 by Bobby Henderson

billboard2Can you picture it?  It could be amazing, if we do it right.  I’ve mentioned it before and had mixed responses.  Here are my thoughts:

It can’t be negative.  As an example, I was not a fan of the You Know It’s A Myth banners put up by the American Atheists.

image

I am in favor of the AA’s substantive causes but I found this billboard campaign smug and petty (I feel the same about campaigns to remove Christmas trees from public venues).

The high road.  If we put up a billboard, it must be a positive message – it must promote us and our ideals, not attack another group.  Satire and nonsense are great, attacking Christianity is boring and counter-productive.  I have no problem slamming Cthulhu and/or the IPU (She is in my drawing, also btw).

Send me your ideas/drawings. I’ll post them here. What would make a good billboard?  A pirate ship “full of beer and strippers”?  That might be interesting.  It’s been a while since I’ve seen a drawing of the Beer Volcano.  Send your submissions to me and we can decide what would look best.  We’ll worry about paying for the billboard space next.

Submissions (so far):

image

#1.  See the World, by Doug.

image

#1(b). Have you been touched, by Doug.

image

#2. Try Pasta, by Jo (Cardinal Fang)

image

#3. Touching, by Dan.

image

#4.  Teaching our children the truth, by Wayne.

image

#5.  Try FSM, by Kelly.

image

#6.  Main course for the soul, by Younger.

image

image

#7.  Two designs, by Doug.

image

#8.  I’d really rather you didn’t, by Jeffrey.

371 Responses to “Is it time for an FSM billboard?”

1 8 9 10 11 12 24
  1. Richy says:

7th June is my birthday.. and this was posted on that date… it’s a sign.. (epic pun intended)

2. Pawsrent says:

Is that false god in the first billboard Cthulhu? Also, his Noodliness is going to appreciate this.

3. Big Guy says:

fsm aka bin Laden is dead and buried at sea
    he’ll never be resurrected get over it noodle heads

• COMMITTEE TO SQUELCH BIG GUY says:

DON’T RESPOND TO THIS FOOL. CLICK DISLIKE TO TAKE HIS MEANINGLESS POST OFF THE SCREEN AND THEN MOVE ON. DON’T GIVE HIM THE ATTENTION HE SEEKS.

We will continue posting this message until responses to BG approach zero. We’re getting there. This attention whore eventually will tire of posting nonsense that no one reads. Be patient, we will reclaim our site.

4. Theo says:

I like 1b and 8.
    The message should be clear to those who are not yet Touched.

5. Andy Tapper says:

Heinz do alphabet pasta, why not use that including all the ketchup or would there be a copyright infringement. I think it would look o.k.

6. Gini Hasircioglu says:

Saw this link when I logged on today! :)

7. Leo says:

1b and 8 are hands down the best so far!

8. m610 says:

I like 1a and 1b, both are beautiful and contain good messages, but of the two I’d go for 1a because “Pastafarian” is such a cool word and would really catch more people’s attention, and would stick, it is a great catch-word. 1b tends more towards the atheist billboard messages that people have mentioned. Not much more, but still, it has a bit of that feel.

But my favorite by far is 8. The message is great and offers a remedy to the current religions’, well, efforts to take over the world. It has a very positive tone, a very positive message, trumps a major limitation of current religious thought, and I think everyone would agree with the message. And the artwork is very nice.

I would contribute $20 for #8, $10 for 1a, and even $10 for 1b if that is really what people wanted, just because I’d like to see this happen, even if it is not my favorite.

1 8 9 10 11 12 24