1,803 Comments

I spent a while thinking (hate-mail)

Published June 14th, 2011 by Bobby Henderson

I spent a while thinking of a good reply to this, without sounding like some sort of inbred hick or perhaps maybe to get your attention. However, I realize that there pretty much is no way for that to happen, if you put this in your hate-mail section, I’ll probably be mocked just as much as the next guy, who put the stupid comment about how you could never buy a pirate ship. I’m OK with that, I just wish people will actually think about what I have to say rather then ignorantly mocking what I believe personally. Whatever may happen, I don’t really mind, except that I cannot bring myself to be silent on this issue.

I am a Christian, whatever you may think about me, or absurd assumptions you may have about what I look like, think like, or speak like, realize this, I think all beliefs should be treated with equality. Atheism, Hindu, Buddhist, Christian, Muslim, Agonist, Voodoo, whatever, I don’t care, if you believe that you are correct, then you have every right in the world to believe that with all your heart, and nobody should force you to believe what they believe. Now I also believe in open criticism of any of these religions, meaning your Pastafarian view that openly mocks religion. However, it is also my right to criticize the criticism, meaning though while I believe it is your right to mock, harass, and generally make religious persons miserable, I don’t believe it is morally right.

Atheism is a belief just as much as Christianity. Say whatever you want about facts and how religion is stupid and all those who practice it are all idiots, but it still comes down to the fundamental truth that you must believe this to be more true over the other option. I am again, completely fine with that, and that is why I love America so much, because we CAN believe differently then one another, and still live peacefully (to a degree) together. However, mocking is not the right way to go about arguing your belief.
By the way, here is the definition of mocking:

1. Tease or laugh at in a scornful or contemptuous manner.

2. Make (something) seem laughably unreal or impossible.

To laugh at someone else’s belief that they dedicate their lives to is not funny or humorous, but I believe is rather childish and immature. This is the main reason why I would much rather sit down calmly with an atheist and have a rational discussion about each other’s beliefs, instead of smacking them in the face with a bible, and shouting how they are going to hell for not believing the undeniable truth that is the bible, or worse, calling their belief idiotic and getting my group of friends together and laughing and pointing in his face.

Of course there are people that do this, hence, you, and there will always be people like you. My job is try to convince you to be rational and discuss each others view points.

I could never put myself in your mindset and read this the same way through your eyes. To you, I just look like another idiot who took this seriously and decided to write a concerned letter and waste his time trying to teach you to be respectful, but the truth is, writing this helps me put my thoughts in order anyways.

If you do have one ounce of thought for my beliefs, at least view this letter with respect, and try to think about what I am thinking when I read this:

What I am thinking is that the joke has gone to far. Of course this letter asks for intelligent discussion, and that seems to have never existed in your website, so before I go, let my put it in your language.

Fuck you, and lay off religion asshole.

Sincerely,
Austin

1,803 Responses to “I spent a while thinking (hate-mail)”

1 5 6 7 8 9 64
  1. Michelle says:

My goodness! It’s incredible those religious people think their faith/religion/creed is immune to criticism. Well, news flash…it’s not. The same way atheism is not immune to criticism. It’s like I said to a christian before: you can criticize atheism all you want. But I can criticize your religion too.

It’s not offensive in anyway to make a satire of religion (like the poe christians); criticism doesn’t have always to be serious; it can – and must have – a little bit of humour.

MY opinion is: those religious people – like our friend in this hate mail – feel offended by religious satires because it shows how flawed/intolerant/non sense/immoral his religion really is. I guess he doesn’t like (and/or doesn’t want) to recognize this.

By making a satire of religion we are not mocking religious people and calling them “brainless religious sheeps”. When they will understand that?

2. Christina says:

As a true Pastafarian – I find this letter extremely offensive. First, we aren’t mocking anything. In fact, I think I can say Pastafarian is one of the most accepting and peaceful religions that exists today. Sure – some things we may laugh at – but doesn’t everyone? Unless this person has seen things NOT sponsored by the church that have angered him (which I can understand) I can’t quite see what he is finding quite so offensive. Austin, you seem to have so much anger within you. I can’t imagine what our modest little church could possibly cause such a stir in someone with such a strong faith such as yourself. Perhaps you only need to learn more about His Noodly-ness so that you too might feel the love of His Noodly Appendage. RAmen.

3. Krakalakin says:

A typical defensive response from organized religion, once again revealing why this site exists….we must show religion for the falsity it is, just as we would want to correct any other mis-belief….was it right for the germans to believe hitler, and massacre the jews?….no….if you saw a man teaching his child that the best way to cross the street is to close his eyes and run, you would want to correct them both….any reasoning, thoughtful human being wants to enlighten his fellow man when he sees that man mis-informed….particularly when that belief leads to harm…your response to this site not only shows how thin the veneer of morality and tolerance is that your religion paints upon you, but exposes the fact that though you acknowledge the plurality of religious beliefs across the globe, you blindly discount them ALL in favor of your own….what a lucky man you are to believe the only true story…

• Metal Head says:

“what a lucky man you are to believe the only true story…”

I know, right? It’s almost like God doesn’t care about anyone who wasn’t born into a Christian nation, leaving them in the dark, despite knowing that their religious beliefs would be culturally induced. (He HAS to know…he is God, right)?

• C V says:

Hey man, I understand what your say but when you say “we must show religion for the falsity it is, just as we would want to correct any other mis-belief” I mean how can you really say that. I personally am Agnostic but is it really anyone’s place to judge other’s beliefs. And what are we to say is really true in this world, because there will always be questions about our origins. To be honest man I think your just trying to hate. As for the letter I believe the author was just trying to spark a fight, as shown in “Fuck you, and lay off religion asshole.”, but then again, I’m not one to take any sides.

• Thomas L. Nielsen says:

“…is it really anyone’s place to judge other’s beliefs”

I do not run around and act judgemental towards other people’s beliefs. But when those other people try to do one or more of the following, I see it as entirely within my right to tell them that I am not interested, and explain to them in detail why not:
        1) Try to shove their beliefs down my throat in the public space, my place of work or my home
        2) Continue to try to shove their beliefs down my throat after I have politely said “no thanks”
        3) Try to con people into believing that the BS they spout is “the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth”
        4) Try to con people into believing that said BS is science
        5) Try to turn my society into a theocracy

“And what are we to say is really true in this world….”

To quote Indiana Jones: “[This] is about fact, not truth. If it’s truth you want, the philosophy class is down the hall”.
        When the above-mention people and organisations try to tell me that evolution is False and creationism is True, I feel in my right to challenge them for evidence of that. And when they can’t produce any (except for the odd bible quote), I feel at liberty to point that out.

“To be honest man I think your just trying to hate”

How so? On the other hand, if someone continues to tell me that Creationism is True, theirs is the One True God, and that I will Go To Hell for not accepting him as my all-loving lord and master for all eternity, then you’re right. I really do hate that.

Thomas L. Nielsen
        Religious Monitoring Board
        Luxembourg Division

• Punkgirrl says:

Well said Thomas L. Nielsen!!!

• Rene Campis says:

Thomas L. Nielsen, I could not have expressed it better. That´s precisely the point of all this.

• TiltedHorizon says:

This post was as polite as it was honest and yet a negative rate? Religious tolerance in action!

• wulff says:

TH – The negative rate was probably from giB yuG.

• Ryan says:

Oh the irony of that whole post. Also, to compare Christians (read: true Christians that follow God’s teachings with all their heart and soul) to the Germans exterminating the Jews or a father teaching his kids life threatening habits, is just blatantly foolish and a bit stupid.

• Om says:

read: true Scotsman fallacy.

There’s way too much variety in Christian belief to pretend that “true Christians…follow God’s teachings with their heart and soul” even means anything (or is even attainable beyond a small minority when a definition is agreed upon).

Also, the post wasn’t about comparing Christians to Nazis. It was about taking the concept of “not correcting a mis-belief” and showing where that concept can go terribly wrong.

4. Logalmier says:

I was willing to take this one seriously up until the “Fuck you” part.

• Anonymous the Pastafarian says:

Right up with you, Logalmier.

• Dionaea says:

I completely agree. I mean, he makes it sound like he accepts everything and is oh so very liberal and supportive of other beliefs etc etc, but in the end he treats us like we’re just a bunch of lunatics. He’s just as prejudiced about us as any other hatemail writer, only he’s trying to make it look nice by first making himself out to be ever so considerate. The essence of this letter is in that final line, and he obviously didn’t get the point of the suspended student either.

RAmen

• Anders says:

Yeah that one was over the top, and I think he may regret having written it. Frankly, starting a fight is never a good way to make people agree on disagreeing.

5. P says:

An issue I have is this statement:
    “Atheism is a belief just as much as Christianity. Say whatever you want about facts and how religion is stupid and all those who practice it are all idiots, but it still comes down to the fundamental truth that you must believe this to be more true over the other option.”

No, athiesm, by definition, is the absence of belief. a (anti, against, absence of) theism (god, religion, belief). I like facts, things that can be proven (you know, the things that society as a whole are based upon, as well as this pesky little thing called “science” that causes so many issues for organized religion). Evidently this letter writer doesn’t like facts (“say what you want about facts”)

• cecilia says:

“say what you want about facts”
      here’s what I say about facts:
      YEAH, I want More!

• Anders says:

I think you’re missing the point he’s making when saying “Atheism is a belief”. Think about the definition of the word /believe/. If you’re not believing anything you wouldn’t even take a stand. Atheists have taken a stand and say that they /do not/ believe in god. That is in fact a belief.

And by the way I am an agnostic. I don’t know, but as there are so many things I can’t explain it sometimes is comforting to think there is a plan. Not necessarily a man (eg. Jesus). This is also a belief – though maybe the least certain/hard-headed of stands.

• MrB says:

Arguing semantics? Sure, why not?

We all “believe” in something. Some believe in Mr. Judgemental Sky Man, some believe in spirits body-jacking believers, some believe in the research methods of science. Even the most atheistic of the atheists put some measure of faith in something.

Example: I believe in DNA. I have never personally spoken to any DNAs, nor have I invited them over for dinner. I have not seen the double helix with my own eyes, nor have I spent time in a lab testing DNA. I have done no experiments with DNA whatsoever. Unless you count some genetics stuff in high school biology, which is pretty circumstantial as evidence goes.

And yet, I believe in DNA. I believe that facts gathered by other people and confirmed by other members of the scientific community. I have faith in their results because they have been checked and verified by others. Even though I have no solid plans to go out and prove the facts on my own, I believe that they HAVE already been proven.

Atheists believe in something. They believe in facts. And if they believe in a fact that they themselves have not proven experimentally, aren’t they showing… faith?

(The greek word “theos” means god/goddess/god-like critter… the word “pistis” refers to belief or faith. And we’re not “apistists.” That’s just way too many Ss and Ts for my liking.)

• shiftysquid says:

“If you’re not believing anything you wouldn’t even take a stand. Atheists have taken a stand and say that they /do not/ believe in god. That is in fact a belief.”

That is, in fact, NOT a belief. It can’t be, unless we are now defining “belief” to also mean its exact opposite: a lack of belief. And if we do that, the entire word “belief” ceases to actually mean anything at all.

Atheists haven’t “taken a stand.” At least, not any of them I’ve met. I imagine some have. But, largely, it’s a provisional position that there are no gods, taken due to the fact that there’s no evidence for said gods. Were that to change, their position would likely change.

• Timothy says:

It is definitely a belief to be Atheist-A belief is a stance one takes on certain matters. such as the belief that race matters (racism), god does exist (theism) or even god doesn’t exist (atheism). The whole entire point of a belief is just that-a belief, an opinion one holds as a person.
          The whole entire point of atheism is the belief that god doesn’t exist.
          Agnostics do not take a stance-they aren’t really sure God exists-or if he doesn’t exist. So they believe that they won’t believe until proven that god exists, or doesn’t exist.

6. Bosn_C_Otter says:

Its like you had your Mother write the letter and then she let you add the last comment.

I hope you eventually find peace in pasta

Brother Bosn
    Minister of the High Noodle.

7. RAmen says:

You obviously don’t get this religion. There is no reason we can’t believe in the religion we choose to believe in. I know many people of different religions and I all treat them the same, no matter if I find their religion ludicrous. I hope that you find even an ounce of peace in the saucepan.

RAmen.

8. gods_laughing says:

You need to calm down. For someone so tolerant the “Fuck you” seemed unnecessary and condescending. Is there a specific pastafarian that has wronged you? We be a peaceful people. Good luck on the christian thing btw, you’ll need it.

1 5 6 7 8 9 64