1,848 Comments

I spent a while thinking (hate-mail)

Published June 14th, 2011 by Bobby Henderson

I spent a while thinking of a good reply to this, without sounding like some sort of inbred hick or perhaps maybe to get your attention. However, I realize that there pretty much is no way for that to happen, if you put this in your hate-mail section, I’ll probably be mocked just as much as the next guy, who put the stupid comment about how you could never buy a pirate ship. I’m OK with that, I just wish people will actually think about what I have to say rather then ignorantly mocking what I believe personally. Whatever may happen, I don’t really mind, except that I cannot bring myself to be silent on this issue.

I am a Christian, whatever you may think about me, or absurd assumptions you may have about what I look like, think like, or speak like, realize this, I think all beliefs should be treated with equality. Atheism, Hindu, Buddhist, Christian, Muslim, Agonist, Voodoo, whatever, I don’t care, if you believe that you are correct, then you have every right in the world to believe that with all your heart, and nobody should force you to believe what they believe. Now I also believe in open criticism of any of these religions, meaning your Pastafarian view that openly mocks religion. However, it is also my right to criticize the criticism, meaning though while I believe it is your right to mock, harass, and generally make religious persons miserable, I don’t believe it is morally right.

Atheism is a belief just as much as Christianity. Say whatever you want about facts and how religion is stupid and all those who practice it are all idiots, but it still comes down to the fundamental truth that you must believe this to be more true over the other option. I am again, completely fine with that, and that is why I love America so much, because we CAN believe differently then one another, and still live peacefully (to a degree) together. However, mocking is not the right way to go about arguing your belief.
By the way, here is the definition of mocking:

1. Tease or laugh at in a scornful or contemptuous manner.

2. Make (something) seem laughably unreal or impossible.

To laugh at someone else’s belief that they dedicate their lives to is not funny or humorous, but I believe is rather childish and immature. This is the main reason why I would much rather sit down calmly with an atheist and have a rational discussion about each other’s beliefs, instead of smacking them in the face with a bible, and shouting how they are going to hell for not believing the undeniable truth that is the bible, or worse, calling their belief idiotic and getting my group of friends together and laughing and pointing in his face.

Of course there are people that do this, hence, you, and there will always be people like you. My job is try to convince you to be rational and discuss each others view points.

I could never put myself in your mindset and read this the same way through your eyes. To you, I just look like another idiot who took this seriously and decided to write a concerned letter and waste his time trying to teach you to be respectful, but the truth is, writing this helps me put my thoughts in order anyways.

If you do have one ounce of thought for my beliefs, at least view this letter with respect, and try to think about what I am thinking when I read this:

What I am thinking is that the joke has gone to far. Of course this letter asks for intelligent discussion, and that seems to have never existed in your website, so before I go, let my put it in your language.

Fuck you, and lay off religion asshole.

Sincerely,
Austin

1,848 Responses to “I spent a while thinking (hate-mail)”

1 52 53 54 55 56 67
  1. Father Rigatoni says:

Yaarrrghhh!!! It never ceases to be amazin’ to me maties how the hypocrites of YES LORDAAAAHHHHH!!! use pirate speak like Austin did at the end of his letter…hey you Christian people’s, only us pirates can swear when we speak while drinking grog and chasing our wenches——walk the PLANK!!!
    Ramen

2. The Tomminator says:

True, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. The question is whether or not that opinion is valid, i.e., does it have any basis at all in known, verifiable fact.
    The “opinion” of the Flat Earth Society is that the earth is flat. Is this a valid opinion? Does the verifiable scientific evidence support it? I think not.
    My dear Austin, you must realize that, when people (me, for example) call you an idiot nutball, they are not insulting you. They are merely describing you, based on the observable evidence you present.

3. GasMaNZ says:

A famous quote comes to mind… “You are entitled to your own opinions NOT to your own facts. “

4. Pasta Ram Das says:

The atheist in me doesn’t give a shit.

5. Mr. Mom says:

You’re funny Austin, your offended because pastafinarians (is that how you spell it? Sorry I’m new…) are disrespectful to Christian religions, which can make Christians feel bad, offended and ‘miserable’. You say this is wrong because it’s wrong to mock other people.
    Meanwhile MOST, not all, but MOST Christian religions feel that pastafinarians are going to hell, for eternal torment!!
    I can’t only hope you are writing similar letters to them, expressing how disrespectful it is to send everyone to hell, but themselves.
    In other words, what’s more offensive? Laughing at someone, or telling them they are going to hell?
    You may like to sit down calmly with atheists for rational discussion, but in the end no matter how crulely they say ‘God doesn’t exist’ it can never be as offensive as when you calmly reply, ‘your going to hell’

Now all Christians response to this is, it’s not mean, it’s my duty to warn them, because it’s the truth.
    Has ever occurred to you that that goes both ways?

I suggest the real reason this offends you so, is that it plants doubt, and that scares you.

6. c nault says:

“To laugh at someone else’s belief that they dedicate their lives to is not funny or humorous, but I believe is rather childish and immature.”

True, but unless someone makes their beliefs public ( & thus opening themselves up to possible public ridicule) they don’t have to worry about the posibility of being laughed at.

You can’t tell if someone is Christian simply by looking at them ( lots of non Christians wear a cross; often to please a parent or becuse it once belonged to someone close to them) so Christians & those of other faiths don’t have to fear someone on the bus will stop, look at them, point & shout “Christian!!” and start mocking them.

Believe whatever you like in your home or place of worship, but when you try to bring it into schools & legislature or try to convert others to your faith or try to make others follow your tenets then you may be laughed at, insulted or mocked.

7. TheFewTheProudTheMarinara says:

Or, you might say to dedicate your life to a totally unfounded belief to the extent you’ll ignore or deny obvious, overwhelming fact is childish and immature.

8. et says:

I guess I’m an agonist. Or is that agnostic? I can’t tell from the illiterate representation. Is an agonist one who goes through life in agony for one reason or another, or for a combination of reasons? I guess that’s a new one, but it makes sense to me because reading this letter was an agonizing experience. Fuck me and my religion (or lack thereof)
    I think religion is a way for stupid, lazy people to define the undefinable. There is no god, and when you die, that’s it. Game over.

1 52 53 54 55 56 67