1,803 Comments

I spent a while thinking (hate-mail)

Published June 14th, 2011 by Bobby Henderson

I spent a while thinking of a good reply to this, without sounding like some sort of inbred hick or perhaps maybe to get your attention. However, I realize that there pretty much is no way for that to happen, if you put this in your hate-mail section, I’ll probably be mocked just as much as the next guy, who put the stupid comment about how you could never buy a pirate ship. I’m OK with that, I just wish people will actually think about what I have to say rather then ignorantly mocking what I believe personally. Whatever may happen, I don’t really mind, except that I cannot bring myself to be silent on this issue.

I am a Christian, whatever you may think about me, or absurd assumptions you may have about what I look like, think like, or speak like, realize this, I think all beliefs should be treated with equality. Atheism, Hindu, Buddhist, Christian, Muslim, Agonist, Voodoo, whatever, I don’t care, if you believe that you are correct, then you have every right in the world to believe that with all your heart, and nobody should force you to believe what they believe. Now I also believe in open criticism of any of these religions, meaning your Pastafarian view that openly mocks religion. However, it is also my right to criticize the criticism, meaning though while I believe it is your right to mock, harass, and generally make religious persons miserable, I don’t believe it is morally right.

Atheism is a belief just as much as Christianity. Say whatever you want about facts and how religion is stupid and all those who practice it are all idiots, but it still comes down to the fundamental truth that you must believe this to be more true over the other option. I am again, completely fine with that, and that is why I love America so much, because we CAN believe differently then one another, and still live peacefully (to a degree) together. However, mocking is not the right way to go about arguing your belief.
By the way, here is the definition of mocking:

1. Tease or laugh at in a scornful or contemptuous manner.

2. Make (something) seem laughably unreal or impossible.

To laugh at someone else’s belief that they dedicate their lives to is not funny or humorous, but I believe is rather childish and immature. This is the main reason why I would much rather sit down calmly with an atheist and have a rational discussion about each other’s beliefs, instead of smacking them in the face with a bible, and shouting how they are going to hell for not believing the undeniable truth that is the bible, or worse, calling their belief idiotic and getting my group of friends together and laughing and pointing in his face.

Of course there are people that do this, hence, you, and there will always be people like you. My job is try to convince you to be rational and discuss each others view points.

I could never put myself in your mindset and read this the same way through your eyes. To you, I just look like another idiot who took this seriously and decided to write a concerned letter and waste his time trying to teach you to be respectful, but the truth is, writing this helps me put my thoughts in order anyways.

If you do have one ounce of thought for my beliefs, at least view this letter with respect, and try to think about what I am thinking when I read this:

What I am thinking is that the joke has gone to far. Of course this letter asks for intelligent discussion, and that seems to have never existed in your website, so before I go, let my put it in your language.

Fuck you, and lay off religion asshole.

Sincerely,
Austin

1,803 Responses to “I spent a while thinking (hate-mail)”

1 50 51 52 53 54 64
  1. dave says:

I agree that peoples beliefs shouldn’t be forced on other people or mocked by others but you just done the same. Most people in USA are Christian so there are other religions here but politics/school….are intertwined with religion. It should not be forced on someone. I think religion should not even be taught in schools. I am from Ireland and its same there. You can’t even get your child into most schools unless they are baptised which is total bullshit

2. Alex says:

My dear Austin,

Pastafarianism not the belief that all religions are stupid and so must be ridiculed, but the understanding that there is a difference between provable fact and religious belief.
    This religion, for that is what we are, teaches that the difference is important. We were created to say, science is provable and the theory of intelligent design is not, so why teach it as science?

If there was proof, than this would completely change how I feel, but, alas, there is not.

So to use a phrase you may understand:

Get your facts straight.

- Alex

P.S. Please do not insult us with saying that our “language” is swearing our heads off. As you can see I have been polite and, I hope, understanding. Would you like me to judge you on the Muslim bashing Christians? No, I didn’t think so, so don’t judge us by the few people who believe swearing is the only way.

3. Alex says:

Also, imagine what we feel reading what happened to that poor boy. Suspended for his belief! I wonder is a Christian wearing a crucifix at school would’ve received a similar punishment?

• Keith says:

Well, here’s one article from 2010. It doesn’t say if he is a christian or not but according to the article the cops took away his necklace because they thought it looked “gang related”. He wasn’t wearing it as an expression of faith. http://www.khou.com/news/khou-93810709.html

4. How Dare You... says:

How dare you mock our Flying Spaghetti God

5. TheFewTheProudTheMarinara says:

This just in from Pat Robertson, concerning the murders at the Sikh temple:
    “…people who are atheists, they hate God, they hate the expression of God, and they are angry at the world, angry with themselves, angry with society and they take it out on innocnent people who are worshipping God…”

Pat, you ignorant slut – if I hated god, that would imply I believed he existed, and then I wouldn’t BE an atheist! I hate god like I hate the Easter Bunny…oops! Hope I didn’t ruin that for you, Pat.

P.S. No news on the religious beliefs of the shooter, but I’ll bet my last dollar he wasn’t a Pastafarian.

• TiltedHorizon says:

The Celtic knot tattoo on the shooter, symbolic of the holy trinity, and the Celtic Cross suggests Christianity.

• Keith says:

Or someone who was weak minded enough to get them because he saw them on someone else and thought they looked “cool”.

• DonTheMon says:

from wikipedia ….

The Celtic cross is one of the most popular symbols used by individuals and organisations to represent Neo-Nazism and white pride,[13] it is used as the logo for white nationalist website Stormfront.org.

• Keith says:

Celtic, or what are claimed to be Celtic, designs seem to be popular in Australia and worn by all sorts of people: primarily a case, I suspect, of what I said above. In America and Europe things may be different. I read recently (I don’t know where, so I can’t provide a reference) about someone getting some Maori tattoos done on his arm because it was “cool”. Later on he was asked if he was a grandmother because that’s the sort of tattooing Maori grandmothers wear.

• puppygoogoo says:

Keith,

Dont forget the “cool” japanese tattoos that are popular as well. Nothing better than seeing someone say to their friends that their tattoo means strength, courage, etc only to find out it means love, cuddles, etc.

puppygoogoo

• Keith says:

Yes, the same sort of people who think “Tetsuwan Atomu” sounds tough until they find out it belongs to a ten year old robot with machine guns up his butt. (Actually, I’m very fond of Tezuka’s Astro Boy: didn’t watch the movie because the adverts made me heave).

6. Harri101 says:

So, our religon doesn’t count. You beleive that all beliefs should be treated equally, except pastafarianism

7. TheFewTheProudTheMarinara says:

Austin is a good little drone. He was taught to:
    1) accept all the crazy stuff his religion teaches is true
    2) to give lip service to all other religions (a recent invention, actually)
    3) actually disrespect anything that conflicts with the faith system that was drilled into him.

8. DonTheMon says: