1,824 Comments

I spent a while thinking (hate-mail)

Published June 14th, 2011 by Bobby Henderson

I spent a while thinking of a good reply to this, without sounding like some sort of inbred hick or perhaps maybe to get your attention. However, I realize that there pretty much is no way for that to happen, if you put this in your hate-mail section, I’ll probably be mocked just as much as the next guy, who put the stupid comment about how you could never buy a pirate ship. I’m OK with that, I just wish people will actually think about what I have to say rather then ignorantly mocking what I believe personally. Whatever may happen, I don’t really mind, except that I cannot bring myself to be silent on this issue.

I am a Christian, whatever you may think about me, or absurd assumptions you may have about what I look like, think like, or speak like, realize this, I think all beliefs should be treated with equality. Atheism, Hindu, Buddhist, Christian, Muslim, Agonist, Voodoo, whatever, I don’t care, if you believe that you are correct, then you have every right in the world to believe that with all your heart, and nobody should force you to believe what they believe. Now I also believe in open criticism of any of these religions, meaning your Pastafarian view that openly mocks religion. However, it is also my right to criticize the criticism, meaning though while I believe it is your right to mock, harass, and generally make religious persons miserable, I don’t believe it is morally right.

Atheism is a belief just as much as Christianity. Say whatever you want about facts and how religion is stupid and all those who practice it are all idiots, but it still comes down to the fundamental truth that you must believe this to be more true over the other option. I am again, completely fine with that, and that is why I love America so much, because we CAN believe differently then one another, and still live peacefully (to a degree) together. However, mocking is not the right way to go about arguing your belief.
By the way, here is the definition of mocking:

1. Tease or laugh at in a scornful or contemptuous manner.

2. Make (something) seem laughably unreal or impossible.

To laugh at someone else’s belief that they dedicate their lives to is not funny or humorous, but I believe is rather childish and immature. This is the main reason why I would much rather sit down calmly with an atheist and have a rational discussion about each other’s beliefs, instead of smacking them in the face with a bible, and shouting how they are going to hell for not believing the undeniable truth that is the bible, or worse, calling their belief idiotic and getting my group of friends together and laughing and pointing in his face.

Of course there are people that do this, hence, you, and there will always be people like you. My job is try to convince you to be rational and discuss each others view points.

I could never put myself in your mindset and read this the same way through your eyes. To you, I just look like another idiot who took this seriously and decided to write a concerned letter and waste his time trying to teach you to be respectful, but the truth is, writing this helps me put my thoughts in order anyways.

If you do have one ounce of thought for my beliefs, at least view this letter with respect, and try to think about what I am thinking when I read this:

What I am thinking is that the joke has gone to far. Of course this letter asks for intelligent discussion, and that seems to have never existed in your website, so before I go, let my put it in your language.

Fuck you, and lay off religion asshole.

Sincerely,
Austin

1,824 Responses to “I spent a while thinking (hate-mail)”

1 49 50 51 52 53 65
  1. Jess says:

I love how he makes us sound like we are immature but at least we aren’t stupid. Get to, too, and two right. Before you come bash my religion. “What I am thinking is that the joke has gone to far.” Correct me if I’m wrong, I’m only 14.

2. Sam says:

“Fuck you, and lay off religion asshole” strong words from a weak christian…

• Amber says:

How is he weak? He’s speaking up for what he believes in, are you saying you are weak for sticking up for your beliefs?

• Mal says:

He’s weak for claiming to be a Christian and then clearly demonstrating his own hypocrisy by using such language. As has been stated many times in this thread’s discussion, most of Austin’s letter is quite acceptable, but that closing line completely negates any good points he may have had.

3. Chris says:

Hey guys, he’s not bashing on your religion. Very mature of you guys to insult him by the way. Don’t be ignorant and keep an open mind and an open heart. People like you have every right to their beliefs whether it’s stupid and wrong or completely right. That’s what beliefs are, opinions! Not facts. Don’t bag on people for their own beliefs. It’s the same as insulting a person for giving a different opinion as you. It’s fucking stupid and childish. Grow up. Religion is stupid yes. As a Christian I believe it makes people stupid and ignorant, but I could say for people like me that it is not always the case. Leave people to their own thoughts and keep yours to yourself also.

• Alphy says:

” Religion is stupid yes. As a Christian I believe it makes people stupid and ignorant, but I could say for people like me that it is not always the case. ”

In other words – religion is stupid. It makes people stupid and ignorant unless it’s your religion, your specific version of Christianity. Right? We all need to be “people like you”. Right?

• puppygoogoo says:

Chris,

I’m a bit confused by your comment. “Leave people to their own thoughts and keep yours to yourself also.” He came to our place and insulted us. Now i’m not sure what brand of Xtian you are, but it is not considered ok where i come from. What would your response be if i walked into your church and said “Fuck you, and lay off my religion.”? I’m guessing i wouldn’t get a very friendly response.

Cheers

Puppygoogoo

• Keith says:

If you said something like that in their church they’d probably be too stunned to do anything. Mind you, they’d be the same people who swear like troopers outside of their church.

4. Ryan says:

Well he is kinda right. But in a sense he is being aggressive and we’re just pointing out that people ARE dumb and were sick and tired of people believing these dumb beliefs. Sometimes it does get out of hand but think of any religion that does not have extremists in them. He needs to think about the religion and not think of the individual. Oh and btw for anyone who believes that 14 year olds can’t write shit! I’m 14.

5. Ryan says:

Also it in a sense is not 1 persons individual opinion but another persons opinion which has been forged into the brain of another person and then they believe it. We wish to challenge the things that are being put in that innocent persons head (this is all metaphoric).

6. Alphy says:

Religion damn sure as hell doesn’t lay off us. Especially the damned fundamentalists, the ones that think they are the only “true Christans”. They are always proselytizing and preaching at anyone who doesn’t belong to a fundy church.

Religion that has to be proselytized isn’t worth having.

7. Rameninator says:

Ok, well nice start with the touchy feely shit, but the last note just nullified your whole argument. You don’t win arguments by stooping to our level. So fuck you very much! :D

8. kelly says:

when will xtians learn that atheism isnt a belief. I do not “believe” there is no god. idc nor think about a god. a belief system is based on …(wait for it)… belief. ughh

• Alphy says:

Kelly,

You and I, as most everyone else knows, that atheism is not a religion or belief system. But keep in mind most of the hate mail here come from fundies.

Fundies are too ignorant and thick headed. You can not enlighten them in any way shape or form. They deliberately choose to be ignorant. They successfully resist all attempts to enlighten or educate them. They are totally and completely impenetrable.

• Amber says:

Please enlighten me on your description of a “fundy”.

• TiltedHorizon says:

Typically it refers to a fundamental Christian who superscribes to a strictly literal or extreme interpretation of the bible. It can also be applied to any one or group whose adherence to the ridiculous sets them apart from moderate Christianity. Google Fred Phelps, Daniel Shenton, Ken Ham, or Ray Comfort for some examples.

1 49 50 51 52 53 65