1,824 Comments

I spent a while thinking (hate-mail)

Published June 14th, 2011 by Bobby Henderson

I spent a while thinking of a good reply to this, without sounding like some sort of inbred hick or perhaps maybe to get your attention. However, I realize that there pretty much is no way for that to happen, if you put this in your hate-mail section, I’ll probably be mocked just as much as the next guy, who put the stupid comment about how you could never buy a pirate ship. I’m OK with that, I just wish people will actually think about what I have to say rather then ignorantly mocking what I believe personally. Whatever may happen, I don’t really mind, except that I cannot bring myself to be silent on this issue.

I am a Christian, whatever you may think about me, or absurd assumptions you may have about what I look like, think like, or speak like, realize this, I think all beliefs should be treated with equality. Atheism, Hindu, Buddhist, Christian, Muslim, Agonist, Voodoo, whatever, I don’t care, if you believe that you are correct, then you have every right in the world to believe that with all your heart, and nobody should force you to believe what they believe. Now I also believe in open criticism of any of these religions, meaning your Pastafarian view that openly mocks religion. However, it is also my right to criticize the criticism, meaning though while I believe it is your right to mock, harass, and generally make religious persons miserable, I don’t believe it is morally right.

Atheism is a belief just as much as Christianity. Say whatever you want about facts and how religion is stupid and all those who practice it are all idiots, but it still comes down to the fundamental truth that you must believe this to be more true over the other option. I am again, completely fine with that, and that is why I love America so much, because we CAN believe differently then one another, and still live peacefully (to a degree) together. However, mocking is not the right way to go about arguing your belief.
By the way, here is the definition of mocking:

1. Tease or laugh at in a scornful or contemptuous manner.

2. Make (something) seem laughably unreal or impossible.

To laugh at someone else’s belief that they dedicate their lives to is not funny or humorous, but I believe is rather childish and immature. This is the main reason why I would much rather sit down calmly with an atheist and have a rational discussion about each other’s beliefs, instead of smacking them in the face with a bible, and shouting how they are going to hell for not believing the undeniable truth that is the bible, or worse, calling their belief idiotic and getting my group of friends together and laughing and pointing in his face.

Of course there are people that do this, hence, you, and there will always be people like you. My job is try to convince you to be rational and discuss each others view points.

I could never put myself in your mindset and read this the same way through your eyes. To you, I just look like another idiot who took this seriously and decided to write a concerned letter and waste his time trying to teach you to be respectful, but the truth is, writing this helps me put my thoughts in order anyways.

If you do have one ounce of thought for my beliefs, at least view this letter with respect, and try to think about what I am thinking when I read this:

What I am thinking is that the joke has gone to far. Of course this letter asks for intelligent discussion, and that seems to have never existed in your website, so before I go, let my put it in your language.

Fuck you, and lay off religion asshole.

Sincerely,
Austin

1,824 Responses to “I spent a while thinking (hate-mail)”

1 46 47 48 49 50 65
  1. Insightful Ape says:

No, William, you are wrong. Even Richard Dawkins is not claiming he knows for certain god doesn’t exist. Atheism is the null hypothesis, if you understand how statistics works. It is not about proving negatives. It is about not taking a positive claim seriously until supported by evidence. That is the exact same position we hold about the overwhelming majority of deities ever worshipped by humans. Do you need “proof of absence” before you do not take Zeus seriously?

2. Dawkins Rottweiler says:

You don’t even know how hard i am laughing right now. I really am laughing my head off, I mean was that really supposed to be serious? Your information is little more than overblown brainwashing, and BTW I think you should do some research beyond the dictionary definition of “Mocking” before you go off without anything to back you up. LOL. ROFL. LMAO. Hahahaha. Ha. Haha. Ha :P

3. Are You Serious? says:

You say it takes faith to be an atheist (or not believe in god)… interesting. How much faith does it take for you not to believe in fairies… or leprechauns… or the Tooth Fairy… or Santa Claus… or the Easter Bunny… or elves… or the sandman… or the Boogeyman… or Thor… or unicorns… or Osiris… or Poseidon… or trolls… Need I go on, or have you had enough examples to understand my point?

• TRUE BELIEVER says:

Now cut that out, ARE YOU SERIOUS, You are pissing on some of my favorite beliefs. Next you will be trying to tell us that the pot at the end of the rainbow contains shit.

• Keith says:

In a lot of folklore I’ve read fairy gold turns to dried leaves so it isn’t too much of a mental leap to imagine a pot of shit at the end of the rainbow.

4. Think Harder says:

I am an Atheist, and I enjoy what Pastafarianism stands for. So here is my review of this letter.

1) If you don’t want to sound stupid, drop the first paragraph.

2) If you don’t want to sound stupid, drop the criticism part of the second paragraph.

3) I disagree with the part about America. I live there, and not being able to share that I’m an Atheist without being asked why I don’t believe in God is really annoying. Peace is not maintained outside of private places. You should read the news about religious debates, and you’ll understand.

4) We’re not laughing at your belief. We’re laughing at your argument. You stated that all religions should be treated equally, then you proceeded with all this text about how Pastafarianism is false and all that. (This was never explicitly stated, but anyone who understands implications gets what I mean.) We should also be able to say that Christianity is false and all that, if what you say is true. Don’t contradict yourself if you plan to be taken seriously.

5) Not a single person living on Earth who has an ounce of sanity would smack you upside the face with their Bible and then scream in your face. Also, we do not get our friends together and laugh in your face.

6) Drop the “people that do this” and the “put myself in your mindset” paragraphs if you plan to be taken seriously.

7) Intelligent discussion does not seem to have ever existed before in your brain, so let me put this in “our” language.

Fuck you, and lay off Pastafarianism, asshole.

• Seth says:

I was anxious to comment of Austin’s attempt to ridicule Pastafarianism, but after reviewing other comments I believe you have summed up my argument. Well put.

5. TheFewTheProudTheMarinara says:

Austin – unintentionally I’m sure – made a salient point when he said “I think all beliefs should be treated with equality.” I fully agree. Religious beliefs should be treated with no more respect than moral or scientific beliefs.

So, if I go around saying that I think all sunflowers come from Mars, I shouldn’t get all upset when someone questions that. I should be offered a chance to prove that hypothesis, and a book I’d write about it doesn’t count, no matter how outdated, obtuse and stilted the language.

6. LostInTheVoid says:

If you truly believe that all religions are equal then why dont you send hate mail to a Muslim or Hindu site and critise thier core beliefs? The fact that our deity happens to be a flying spaghetti monster doesnt give you the pasta given right to hate us and our veiws. Whilst i accept that there are some members of the church who take banter a bit too far that shouldnt act as a sterotype for all of us. If we generalised christians like that guy who wanted to burn the Qu’ran then you would be in massive uproar about it

so leave us alone or be truly equal in your hate

RAmen

7. Rachel Hopkins says:

How dare you mock my religion. I take Pastafarianism very seriously, and if you are going to mock our religion, then you suck. How would you feel in our place? This is OUR religion asshole, and you can go fuck a meatball you jerk! It’s a word in Japanese, just so you know. パスタファリアニズム (Pasutafarianizumu).

8. Olio says:

This is where all the issues begin. Awhile spent thinking. Not that acting in absence of thinking is much of an alternative.

1 46 47 48 49 50 65