1,824 Comments

I spent a while thinking (hate-mail)

Published June 14th, 2011 by Bobby Henderson

I spent a while thinking of a good reply to this, without sounding like some sort of inbred hick or perhaps maybe to get your attention. However, I realize that there pretty much is no way for that to happen, if you put this in your hate-mail section, I’ll probably be mocked just as much as the next guy, who put the stupid comment about how you could never buy a pirate ship. I’m OK with that, I just wish people will actually think about what I have to say rather then ignorantly mocking what I believe personally. Whatever may happen, I don’t really mind, except that I cannot bring myself to be silent on this issue.

I am a Christian, whatever you may think about me, or absurd assumptions you may have about what I look like, think like, or speak like, realize this, I think all beliefs should be treated with equality. Atheism, Hindu, Buddhist, Christian, Muslim, Agonist, Voodoo, whatever, I don’t care, if you believe that you are correct, then you have every right in the world to believe that with all your heart, and nobody should force you to believe what they believe. Now I also believe in open criticism of any of these religions, meaning your Pastafarian view that openly mocks religion. However, it is also my right to criticize the criticism, meaning though while I believe it is your right to mock, harass, and generally make religious persons miserable, I don’t believe it is morally right.

Atheism is a belief just as much as Christianity. Say whatever you want about facts and how religion is stupid and all those who practice it are all idiots, but it still comes down to the fundamental truth that you must believe this to be more true over the other option. I am again, completely fine with that, and that is why I love America so much, because we CAN believe differently then one another, and still live peacefully (to a degree) together. However, mocking is not the right way to go about arguing your belief.
By the way, here is the definition of mocking:

1. Tease or laugh at in a scornful or contemptuous manner.

2. Make (something) seem laughably unreal or impossible.

To laugh at someone else’s belief that they dedicate their lives to is not funny or humorous, but I believe is rather childish and immature. This is the main reason why I would much rather sit down calmly with an atheist and have a rational discussion about each other’s beliefs, instead of smacking them in the face with a bible, and shouting how they are going to hell for not believing the undeniable truth that is the bible, or worse, calling their belief idiotic and getting my group of friends together and laughing and pointing in his face.

Of course there are people that do this, hence, you, and there will always be people like you. My job is try to convince you to be rational and discuss each others view points.

I could never put myself in your mindset and read this the same way through your eyes. To you, I just look like another idiot who took this seriously and decided to write a concerned letter and waste his time trying to teach you to be respectful, but the truth is, writing this helps me put my thoughts in order anyways.

If you do have one ounce of thought for my beliefs, at least view this letter with respect, and try to think about what I am thinking when I read this:

What I am thinking is that the joke has gone to far. Of course this letter asks for intelligent discussion, and that seems to have never existed in your website, so before I go, let my put it in your language.

Fuck you, and lay off religion asshole.

Sincerely,
Austin

1,824 Responses to “I spent a while thinking (hate-mail)”

1 45 46 47 48 49 65
  1. TheFewTheProudTheMarinara says:

To paraphrase Christopher Hitchens, the BuyBull is an exaggeration of an exaggeration of a mistranslation of a heresay of a heresay.

2. Graham says:

ok, yes all religions should be able to take some criticism about their beliefs because not everyone thinks the same way. some views may seem ridiculous to you just as i personally feel that the christian belief is ridiculous. in fact i think all organized religion is just a bunch of brain washing. but nevertheless the reason i wanted to respond to you is that atheism is not a belief. you should look up the definition of atheism. it is the disbelief of a god or any kind of supernatural being. so no, it is not like christianity. The FSM does not mock religion, it only states that there is just as much proof for a flying spaghetti monster as ther is for any other type of being. the meanign behind pastafarianism goes much further than most may think.

Oh and i appretiated at the beginning that you werent going to bash us, and tell us all to go to hell or sound like “some inbred hick” (to me that sounds like you are slandering your own religion by the way) but by the end, i was a mad that you would say something like you did at the end because most of us Athiests are very rational and very kind. we are just as kind as any other person with religion and we dont need some fear of hell to be so.

so, before im done i would like to put it in your language

Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor. Romans 12:10

i say to you that i will respect your belief and you will repect mine be it a god, FSM, or nothing

• Apprentice Frederic says:

Way ta go, Graham. May the Sauce fall upon you and bring you peace. R’Amen!

3. no says:

how ironic, a christian asking for rationality… does mock mean dismantle in debate? do i really have to give the mindless dribble you christians rant credibility? no, i have to give equal respect to the gay hating, right depriving evangelistic christians? i think they need a bit more than criticism. the hate-mail we receive on other pages have moved past things like this. why can you?

• yes says:

A large number of atheists bash the American Christian community for their “lack of tolerance.” My question to you is this; do you think that tolerance is something that the American Church does poorly and do you think that tolerance must be practiced, and do you profess to practice tolerance? If the answer to that question is yes. Then why shouldn’t you tolerate Christianity? Must tolerance be practiced in a way that is discriminant. If that is how tolerance is practiced then we must not call ourselves tolerant and must not feel entitled to people treating us with tolerance.

• Drained and Washed Clean says:

In religion there can be no tolerance. If one does not believe the way the church does then you are going to hell. Period. End of story. There is no reason to tolerate another way of thinking because you are right and they are wrong. Their holy book tells them so.

The American churches are trying to sweep into the government and impose their morality and religion on the rest of the country. That is the height of intolerance which they think they are doing for our own good. And that is incorrect as it goes against everything our founding fathers fought for.

• TiltedHorizon says:

There should should be tolerance but there should be no tolerance for intolerance.

While the weight of that sinks in, let me explain what “Tolerance” is. By definition, it is a fair, objective, and permissive attitude toward those whose opinions, practices, race, religion, nationality, etc, differ from one’s own.

On the subject of ‘Faith’ it means I can express my dislike of religion by not practicing any faith but I am not free to limit you, the individual, from practicing your faith. I can hold an opinion, free speech allows me to express it disdain, write about it, debate it, even stand in the public square and claim it silly. None of this takes away any rights from those whose beliefs run counter to my own. Because I am trying to engage thought or debate and not taking action to limit one’s personal expression of faith, I am well within the borders of ‘tolerant’.

The same cannot be said about theists. The theistic version of tolerance is forced compliance. Homosexuality is a good example. For theists to be ‘Tolerant’ they would have express their opinion as I do, by not participating. Instead they fight the changes which would allow consenting adults of the same sex to marry. Since they are limiting the rights of others they are being ‘Intolerant’. Why should I be tolerant of this?

I’ll be happy to live and let live, but if theists insist on forcing their personal beliefs on others then I have a duty to call attention to it and force it back where it belongs.

• TheFewTheProudTheMarinara says:

The idea that someone is “tolerant” of another’s lifestyle is massively egotistical. Oh, how kind of you to grit your teeth and not physically assault someone who doesn’t hold your cockamamie religious beliefs or wants to choose a lover you don’t approve of!

• Reverend Captain Mal says:

This is why I love you people. Keep up the good fight.

Mal

4. Matt says:

“that is why I love America so much, because we CAN believe differently then one another, and still live peacefully (to a degree) together” so the Uk and all other countries can’t then… ok

• Olio says:

I heard it is to a degree peacefully, in the USA and around . 03°, in the UK.

5. Michael says:

LOL! Atheism is NOT a belief. It is a lack thereof. I’m so tired of christians telling me I have a religion. I do NOT. I am Atheist. Atheism is the ABSENCE of religion. I don’t believe there is no god, I know there is no god.

May there always be pasta on your plate.

• The Reverend Toni Rigatoni says:

I’m glad you are still able to LOL Michael, I have now got to the stage where this most ridiculous argument, far from making me laugh, now makes me at first angry, and then close to tears of frustration. Yet again we are obliged to teach the vociferous empty headed fools the meaning of the words atheist and agnostic! William, (for the last time please!!) atheist or atheism is from the Greek ‘atheos’ (alpha-theta-epsilon-omega-sigma) and literally means ‘godless’ or ‘without god’, and thereby has nothing at all to do with belief, positive or negative. The word gnosticism pertains to knowledge, the addition of the prefixed ‘a’ thereby translates directly as ‘without knowledge’, not, as you say, the ‘absence of belief’….. Jeeez. It doesn’t take a lot William, just read a book or two before you open you mouth, an argument always has more impact if it contains at least a small degree of factual content.

And may the Sauce be always upon your Pasta Michael.

The Reverend

6. William says:

Of course Atheism is a belief – it is the unprovable belief that God does not exist. Agnosticism is the absence of belief…. Jeeez.

I think the original poster is correct in every regard. The beliefs of the world’s major religions should both be respected and open to analysis and critique.

The difference is that the original poster is a reasonable person, and not the Kansas School Board who (were/are?) political zealots who are defying both the U.S. constitution and the dictates of the religion they presume to follow.

7. iFSM says:

The right to believe must be respected…
    The belief itself, however…absolutely can be subjected to logical examination, and in the end the burden of proof is on the one making the extraordinary claim.

8. Olio says:

If you are holding yourself back from smacking someone across the face with the bible, that’s the part which concerned me the most, when I read through part of this letter. That you would, but are allowing for discussion instead tells me something about the tone of that discussion & how it is likely to go. Maybe leave the book@ home completely. Then the temptation is not there to smack anyone.

1 45 46 47 48 49 65