1319642 Views
1,853 Comments

I spent a while thinking (hate-mail)

Published June 14th, 2011 by Bobby Henderson

I spent a while thinking of a good reply to this, without sounding like some sort of inbred hick or perhaps maybe to get your attention. However, I realize that there pretty much is no way for that to happen, if you put this in your hate-mail section, I’ll probably be mocked just as much as the next guy, who put the stupid comment about how you could never buy a pirate ship. I’m OK with that, I just wish people will actually think about what I have to say rather then ignorantly mocking what I believe personally. Whatever may happen, I don’t really mind, except that I cannot bring myself to be silent on this issue.

I am a Christian, whatever you may think about me, or absurd assumptions you may have about what I look like, think like, or speak like, realize this, I think all beliefs should be treated with equality. Atheism, Hindu, Buddhist, Christian, Muslim, Agonist, Voodoo, whatever, I don’t care, if you believe that you are correct, then you have every right in the world to believe that with all your heart, and nobody should force you to believe what they believe. Now I also believe in open criticism of any of these religions, meaning your Pastafarian view that openly mocks religion. However, it is also my right to criticize the criticism, meaning though while I believe it is your right to mock, harass, and generally make religious persons miserable, I don’t believe it is morally right.

Atheism is a belief just as much as Christianity. Say whatever you want about facts and how religion is stupid and all those who practice it are all idiots, but it still comes down to the fundamental truth that you must believe this to be more true over the other option. I am again, completely fine with that, and that is why I love America so much, because we CAN believe differently then one another, and still live peacefully (to a degree) together. However, mocking is not the right way to go about arguing your belief.
By the way, here is the definition of mocking:

1. Tease or laugh at in a scornful or contemptuous manner.

2. Make (something) seem laughably unreal or impossible.

To laugh at someone else’s belief that they dedicate their lives to is not funny or humorous, but I believe is rather childish and immature. This is the main reason why I would much rather sit down calmly with an atheist and have a rational discussion about each other’s beliefs, instead of smacking them in the face with a bible, and shouting how they are going to hell for not believing the undeniable truth that is the bible, or worse, calling their belief idiotic and getting my group of friends together and laughing and pointing in his face.

Of course there are people that do this, hence, you, and there will always be people like you. My job is try to convince you to be rational and discuss each others view points.

I could never put myself in your mindset and read this the same way through your eyes. To you, I just look like another idiot who took this seriously and decided to write a concerned letter and waste his time trying to teach you to be respectful, but the truth is, writing this helps me put my thoughts in order anyways.

If you do have one ounce of thought for my beliefs, at least view this letter with respect, and try to think about what I am thinking when I read this:

What I am thinking is that the joke has gone to far. Of course this letter asks for intelligent discussion, and that seems to have never existed in your website, so before I go, let my put it in your language.

Fuck you, and lay off religion asshole.

Sincerely,
Austin

1,853 Responses to “I spent a while thinking (hate-mail)”

1 65 66 67
  1. Txiki says:

I agree with some that Austin is hiding the wolf under a sheep’s skin. When he says I would not do this and this and this to offend you he is really saying this is what I think but in all my greatness I will not use it against you. Luckily just at the end he is showing his real colours and killing his failed attempt at restraint. Such behaviour is only possible when one thinks to hold the universal truth and feels contempt for all those not part of his universe. So the offended ends up being on the offensive then. Who is then disrespecting who?

2. Wouter says:

I don’t think you get the entire point of our great church. We welcome all people and don’t mean to offend anyone, we only mean to create the most tollerant religion in the world.

3. Polemicist says:

I found the link in the post to be most entertaining. A Pastafarian kid is not permitted to wear a Pirate outfit in school but Muslim kids can wear a Burqa?

• SillyKiwiMan says:

Of course. Some faiths are more equal than others.

I always find it amusing when people claim we wouldn’t have a go at muslims too. I don’t discriminate, if they come here, they’ll be treated the same as any other faith by me.

4. James says:

I am so glad I found this website. This writer sounds very intelligent and articulate… until one arrives at the last line: Fuck you… asshole! I never laughed so hard in my life! And there are many more posts similar to this one. Whenever I need a laugh; I come here to read another post. Keep up the good work, Bobby.

5. Sam ( a Scots Pirate) says:

Tolerance, good will and respect are invaluable. But, as we all know, in this world value is mostly determined by supply and demand. Some will never demand such things but FSM has an infinite supply available. Sometimes you just gotta shrug and walk away.

6. The Flying Spagetti Monster says:

This religion a fake and untrue. It is a scam to steal some gullible people’s money.

• SillyKiwiMan says:

As opposed to every other religion? Nowhere is there any suggestion of tithing or anything similar in our church.

The reason people discover our faith is their LACK of gullibility.

7. Bobbi says:

Austin is absolutely wrong when he makes the following misleading statement;
    “Atheism is a belief just as much as Christianity.”
    So often I hear theists make this claim to set up an atheist as a straw man to kick around. To say that one’s religion is a belief is misleading. Religion is based on faith. Atheists tend to base their beliefs on reason rather than faith. Faith by definition is belief without reason. Theists faith is based on a blind trust, trusting that what they have been taught, or what they feel is true without any observable evidence to support their belief. Austin goes on to say he would rather sit down with an atheists and have a reasonable discussion about beliefs. He makes a plea to be rational. I wonder how I could ever have a “rational” discussion with someone whose beliefs are based on faith?

• theFewtheProudtheMarinara says:

Austin must be one of those “tolerant” people who is grudgingly willing to let you worship the god of your choice. But will defame you if your choice is “D. None of the above”. In other words, he won’t attack if you agree at least 90% with him, and can’t even conceive that he might be totally wrong.

8. SomeLawyer says:

This guy obviously lives in the U.S, and obviously knows nothing about the FIRST AMENDMENT. Stated simply, the first amendment allows free practice and creation of religion. Stated directly from the text of the United States Constitution, it states that, “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.” And congress has not made a law, which means that the creation of religion (establishment of religion) will be free. This guy is technically breaking the law by stating that, “Fuck you, and lay off religion asshole,” and this means that he technically is stating that he should not insult religions, which means that the freedom of speech in the First Amendment.

-Lawyer McLawyerson (Obviously not my real name, don’t hate me for it)

1 65 66 67