#Food
206241 Views

Pastover event

Published May 6th, 2011 by Bobby Henderson

Pastover

A bunch of groups in Sacramento, including Sacramento Freethinkers Atheists and Nonbelievers, Sacramento Area Skeptics, Atheists and Other Freethinkers recently had a Pastover event.

Among the many pirate events I created this cake to celebrate his noodliness (Red velvet inside, in celebration of tomato sauce). We also ate pasta and meatballs.

Ramen

-Roberto

168 Responses to “Pastover event”

1. Big Guy says:

Ray you’re back;

The many different religions started with Babble’s destruction and peoples desires to reach God from this tower. The fact they suddenly could not communicate with each other reveals Gods desire to scatter them and in the process knowing they would fall away from the faith there by choosing to deny God. Their vengeful minds looked for ways to exact that revenge by creating Hinduism, Jainism, Buddhism and Sikhism & Islam etc… Providing us with this choice is his gift of salvation for us. He wants us to willingly choose him.

Point of interest; in the beginning when god was creating everything in 6 days. Lucifer led a rebellion in heaven when God was away. Lucifer was defeated by Michael and the arch angels. They held him until God returned 7 days later. Upon his return he God cast Lucifer who by the way was one of the most powerful angels down to earth. God saw that even in his perfection Lucifer was still imperfect. He knew the potential lost on Lucifer could be salvaged in man. So he gave man the choice to a perfect salvation through original sin when the devil tempted eve with the apple. From this time onward we were born with original sin and subsequently afforded the opportunity for eternal salvation in heaven beside God.

• Ray says:

The idea of Lucifer being a fallen angel was invented by John Milton in the 19th century. Just so you know.

• Keith says:

Lucifer is generally thought to refer to Venus, the morning star (yes, I know it is a planet.) As far as I know there is nothing in the buy-bull that specifically equates Lucifer to any devil in Judaeo-Christian mythology. The quote in Isaiah is supposed to relate to a Babylonian king, possibly Nebuchadnezzar. John Milton lived in the 17th century. You might be thinking of Goethe as regards 19th. Nevertheless, if anyone can show a genuine quotation from the buy-bull that specifically identifies Lucifer as a member of the infernal legions I would be interested to see it. That person would, I suspect, require a good grounding in Hebrew, Coptic and ancient Greek and have access to original material. Revelations through dreams and claims from deluded cranks are not acceptable.

• puppygoogoo says:

Big Guy,

Hate to dissapoint you but some religions, like sikhism, were created well after the legend of the babel tower. Also they are well documented and easier to believe than the drivel you just spewed.

puppygoogoo

2. Big Guy says:

Point of interest read it if you dare if you want to know the truth about what you fools are participating in. The 3rd letter of Fatima in MEDJUGORJE written by sister Lucia regarding the Holy Mother Marry’s message to the world. It refers to atheist like all of you waging war on Christians like me in the here & now. How prophetic…

The vision of Fatima concerns above all the war waged by atheist systems against the Church and Christians, and it describes the immense suffering endured by the witnesses to the faith in the last century of the second millennium. It is an interminable Way of the Cross led by the Popes of the twentieth century.

The successive events of 1989 led, both in the Soviet Union and in a number of countries of Eastern Europe, to the fall of the Communist regime which promoted atheism. For this too His Holiness offers heartfelt thanks to the Most Holy Virgin. In other parts of the world, however, attacks against the Church and against Christians, together with the burden of suffering which they involve, tragically continue.

Even if the events to which the third part of the Secret of Fatima refers now seem part of the past, Our Lady’s call to conversion and penance, issued at the beginning of the twentieth century, remains timely and urgent today. “The Lady of the message seems to read the signs of the times – the signs of our time – with special insight… The insistent invitation of Mary Most Holy to penance is nothing but the manifestation of her maternal concern for the fate of the human family, in need of conversion and forgiveness” (Pope John Paul II, Message for the 1997 World Day of the Sick, N. 1, Insegnamenti, vol XIX/2, 1996, p. 561).

3. Minister Dion says:

I like it it looks tasty!

4. Big Guy says:

I’m back stay tuned

5. stylusmobilus says:

Arrrrrrrh! All ye pirates who be thinkin’ this be a bountiful cake indeed, raise ye mug an’ be yellin’ Arrrrggh!!!

• stylusmobilus says:

Arrrrrrrgh!!! *raises mug

6. Big Guy says:

I’m not even here and you’re still trashing God get over it you pathetic God haters. Don’t you have anything positive to talk about?

Point of interests; monkey man aka Insightful Ape I knew there was something weird about you. Now that I know you’re a Muslim I realize what your game is. Destroying Christians is a front for your real objective destroying the US by subverting this form from within. You’re not one of them you’re carrying on a jihad against Americans who are your real target.

For the rest of you losers your collective hateful vitriol fuels my resolve. Atheist love to hate, you love to distort the truth, you love to create discord and you love to destroy those with faith. You’re all on the fast track to a lonely empty life in a dark hole void of compassion humility and love.

7. wulff says:

I had not followed this thread previously, so may I repeat to Ray what a pleasure it is to have someone join us for intelligent, rational dialog?

On the topic of close-mindedness, I’ve also known extremes on both sides, and moderates on both sides. I recall a conversation I had a few years ago with a Born-Again-Jehovah’s Witness. He’d been trying for months to convert me in an attempt to “save me”, and was having no success as I chose atheism many years before. He finally asked me why I was so closed-minded about religion. I said that if Judgment Day was tomorrow and I suddenly found myself before a God who demanded I justify my beliefs, I was ready, willing and able to do so, and would stand behind the choices I’ve made. I’m not going to throw myself down and beg for forgiveness, because whether I believe or not, I’ve lived a life that I felt was moral and ethical, and THAT is how I should be judged. I then asked him if aliens landed on our planet tomorrow and could prove conclusively that there was no God, would he be ready? He immediately began spouting about how there were no aliens because God only created our world capable o sustaining life, blah, blah, blah. At which point I stopped him and asked which of us was the close-minded one.

As for the subject of whether or not religion is necessary for morality, while it may have been needed long ago, I don’t believe it still is. I believe that for the most part, the only difference between most prophets and philosophers was that the second group believes that we have it inside us to make choices for the benefit of society without threats of an “invisible sky-parent”. And to my mind, the modern philosophers can be found among the ranks of the comedians. For years, even after I’d made my decision about religion, I could not always find the words to fully express my reasoning until I discovered a true Immortal, George Carlin. He discussed religion many times in his shows, including one where he was able to show that the 10 Commandments were NOT necessary any longer, and through combination and positive language, shortened the list down to 2, which were really all you need to live a moral life, and you don’t need to put God anywhere near the list. I personally feel that “Do unto others” is all ANYONE should need. (And while I know that this “Golden Rule” is most often attributed to Jesus is the NT, Eastern religions were already espousing it centuries before.)

The problem now is that despite all those who actually live by a moral code that is consistent with the teachings of their faith, there are multitudes more who will use those exact same rules to justify bigotry, intolerance and hate, and BELIEVE that faith justifies their actions.

If I seem to be rambling on a bit, I apologize. It’s late and the weather here has disrupted my sleep the last few nights.

• Keith says:

Fully agree with you there, wulff. Regarding religion and comedians, Dave Allen (the Irish comedian), was always joking about religion. He provided a much needed reality check to the absurdities of the Roman Catholic and Anglican faiths.

• TiltedHorizon says:

I love to be labeled closed-minded, if affords me an opportunity to expound on the term’s definition. An open minded person is receptive to new ideas and is willing to adjust their views when faced with a stronger argument. A mind unwilling to risk change is a mind closed shut. As a ‘former’ catholic, I’ve already evidenced my open mindedness. They usually can’t say the same.

8. Big Guy says:

an atheist homosexual asks a Christian heterosexual “why are you always pushing me around and talking behind my back? The Christian replies because you’re in a wheel chair.