Zack Kopplin Vs. The Louisiana Science Education Act

Published May 28th, 2011 by Bobby Henderson

Here’s a video of Zack Kopplin on Hardball last night.  Zack is the student battling the Lousiana Science Education Act – a law that would allow “supplemental textbooks and other teaching materials” into science classrooms.  Zack saw this (correctly) as a backdoor method to teach Creationism and has been leading the fight against it.

Some of us remember the LSEA bill passing in 2008.  Zack’s been trying to get it repealed since then.  He found a senator to sponsor the repeal and has since found thousands of supporters (including over 40 Noble Laureates).  Yesterday Zack brought teachers and scientists to testify in favor of the repeal in front of the Louisiana Senate Education Committee.

Zack makes a couple excellent points on Hardball.  One is that science *is* a process of critical thinking (one of the ostensible purposes of the law is to promote critical thinking).  Another point is that a state’s science standards determine how their students will be viewed elsewhere.

He also slams Michelle Bachman which is both fair and entertaining.

All in all it was an excellent appearance.  Zack deserves a lot of credit for his work.  I for one am very impressed and I’m confident he has a bright future ahead of him.  Whatever the fate of the repeal, Zack’s done a tremendous service for the cause of rationality.  The fight is as important as the outcome.  The Louisiana legislature may reject reason for a few more years but the rest of the world has benefited from watching this ordeal.   There are bills similar to the LSEA all across the country – it’s an ongoing struggle, and I’m glad there are people like Zack on our side.

Zack, please let us know if you need anything from Team FSM.  We have your back.

386 Responses to “Zack Kopplin Vs. The Louisiana Science Education Act”

1. Big Guy says:

Every post after June 3, 2011 at 6:03 PM by the one & only Big Guy is fake juvenile lewd and crude posted by my alter ego want to be me impostor…

• Big Guy says:

Big ‘faker wanna be me’ Guy @ June 5, 2011 at 9:32 AM

Your post comes after “June 3, 2011 at 6:03 PM” which means you are a fake juvenile lewd and crude imposter.

So sez I the reel Big Man.

May the Lard forgive your blaspheme.

• Big Guy says:

Al your gig is up…

stop impersonating me or I’ll let the air out of your balloon once & for all.

I know you are the lier I confronted mono a mono so be a man and fess up…

• Big Guy says:

Yes, Al, your gig [sic] is up. You dirty lier [sic]. This time i will confront you duo-a-duo instead of mono-a-mono. This is more than an idol thret, Al. You will be left holding your deflated balloon if you don’t stop impersonating me. I am the ONE AND ONLY REEL BIG GUY.

• Big Guy says:

OK, I’m fessing, Big Guy. I have been impersonating you for weeks here on this form. I apologize. Please don’t crack my shinny bald head.

Can we be friends again?
          Al

• Big Guy says:

Yes ‘Al’. Fess up! I know the are the liar I confronted Monkey a Monkey (mono is spanish for monkey, it’s my pet name for mens genitalia, which makes sense considering who I am).

2. Pirate Johnson says:

RAmen Zack, RAmen. May the sauce be with you.

3. message from an atheist says:

It’s real simple people, science should be taught in a science class..

4. LoL says:

This guy is a fail and should be punched in the face until severe death

• Mal says:

That’s…….. pleasant. Thank you for being such a fantastic contribution to society.

5. theFewtheProudtheMarinara says:

The Great Debate goes on. On one hand we have the full weight of modern science (evolution) and on the other we have the superstitious fables of a handful of Bronze Age goat-herders (Creationism). Who to believe…who to believe..

6. Joe says:

Hey, can we donate to Zack’s cause? Is there a paypal or whatever where I can drop $10 for the fight or something?

7. gods_laughing says:

Cool kid. He understands the law for what it is. Wish I had that much courage when I was in high school. Good luck!

8. Feliks_Dzerzhinsky says:

If laws are intelligent, and if laws are created, and if WE deem to be intelligent, how can we NOT be created? And, by the way, when this has been settled, we should also address cremative design, which is another burning design. Ashes to ashes and all that.

• Penny Alfredo says:

Just wondering… are you being satirical or honest here?

• TiltedHorizon says:

My vote is satirical. His choice of nickname gives him/her away. Felix Edmundovich Dzerzhinsky AKA ‘Iron Felix’ was the first head of the Bolshevik Secret Police, best known for torture and mass executions. Not someone a sensible person would use as their nickname I think. The convoluted logic plus the nickname translates to troll in my opinion.

• Drained and Washed Clean says:

You make me laugh :) How the hell do you know all this stuff?

• TiltedHorizon says:

@D&WC

My Wife calls me the human repository for absolutely useless knowledge. I have to agree with her. :)

• Noodly Goodness says:

Wait, you didn’t just google some of it? :) Or is google how you got your RfAUK status?

• TiltedHorizon says:

LOL.

My Wife loves to joke about my extensive knowledge of useless information, since my marriage and title of human repository for absolutely useless knowledge predates google I’d have to say I earned my worthless ‘HRFAUK’ title. :)

As for Iron Felix, I once was always a fan of human history, when I saw the avatar of the poster it just clicked. Had he/she only used the name ‘Dzerzhinsky’ it would have likely not rung any bells.