Zack Kopplin Vs. The Louisiana Science Education Act

Published May 28th, 2011 by Bobby Henderson

Here’s a video of Zack Kopplin on Hardball last night.  Zack is the student battling the Lousiana Science Education Act – a law that would allow “supplemental textbooks and other teaching materials” into science classrooms.  Zack saw this (correctly) as a backdoor method to teach Creationism and has been leading the fight against it.

Some of us remember the LSEA bill passing in 2008.  Zack’s been trying to get it repealed since then.  He found a senator to sponsor the repeal and has since found thousands of supporters (including over 40 Noble Laureates).  Yesterday Zack brought teachers and scientists to testify in favor of the repeal in front of the Louisiana Senate Education Committee.

Zack makes a couple excellent points on Hardball.  One is that science *is* a process of critical thinking (one of the ostensible purposes of the law is to promote critical thinking).  Another point is that a state’s science standards determine how their students will be viewed elsewhere.

He also slams Michelle Bachman which is both fair and entertaining.

All in all it was an excellent appearance.  Zack deserves a lot of credit for his work.  I for one am very impressed and I’m confident he has a bright future ahead of him.  Whatever the fate of the repeal, Zack’s done a tremendous service for the cause of rationality.  The fight is as important as the outcome.  The Louisiana legislature may reject reason for a few more years but the rest of the world has benefited from watching this ordeal.   There are bills similar to the LSEA all across the country – it’s an ongoing struggle, and I’m glad there are people like Zack on our side.

Zack, please let us know if you need anything from Team FSM.  We have your back.

392 Responses to “Zack Kopplin Vs. The Louisiana Science Education Act”

1. Joe says:

“If we are going to teach creation science as an alternative to evolution, we should also teach stork theory as an alternative to biological reproduction”

• Brian Fritzen says:

Superb.

• randomguy7890 says:

LOL

• TominNH says:

FANTASTIC!!! 5 CANOLIS!!!

2. Big Guy says:

An atheists God-Plex propensity is in conflict with a basic scientific principal. That being impartiality.
    Your scientific comfort blanket will leave you cold empty and without hope.

@ Big Guy impostor May 30, 2011 at 6:27 PM
    fun time is over

@ TiltedHorizon
    Intolerance for someone who is trying to destroy you for no other reason than they want to impose their will on you is unacceptable. Being political correct has opened the door for barn yard morality an aids pandemic millions of aborted children & failed marriages endemic addictions and record violent crime by young woman.

It seemed funny you being the atheist you are, you would be accusing me of being intolerant.

• Bearded Clam Admirer says:

pot meet kettle

TBHNA

BCA

• TiltedHorizon says:

Biggie Says: “Intolerance for someone who is trying to destroy you for no other reason than they want to impose their will on you is unacceptable.”

So you agree then, god is evil and should be stopped. It seems you are a Pastafarian.

Biggie Says: “Being political correct has opened the door for barn yard morality…”

First off, Barnyard is one word not two. Please learn to use your own rhetoric correctly. Secondly, Christians are the worst offenders. Let me correct that, those who identify themselves as Christians appear to be the worst offenders. I have to amend that statement since you would likely use the ‘No True Scotsman’ defense to dismiss the many, many, many examples.

Biggie Says:”… an aids pandemic…”

Which Christians help maintain. Specifically the Catholic Church, who is supporting the spread of aids by telling everyone not to use condoms.

Biggie Says:”…aborted children…”

Let’s see. Women identifying themselves as Protestants obtain 37.4% of all abortions in the U.S.; Catholic women account for 31.3%, Jewish women account for 1.3%, and women with no religious affiliation obtain 23.7% of all abortions. 18% of all abortions are performed on women who identify themselves as “Born-again/Evangelical”. (http://www.antiochian.org/node/16950)

“….failed marriages….”
      I’ve been with my Wife for 20 years. I’d like to think I am unique but statistically Atheists and Agnostics maintain low divorce rates, at least when compared to Christians. (http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_dira.htm)

“endemic addictions and record violent crime by young woman.”

I’ll lump these two together because they tend to lead to the same place, jail or death. If you look up prison statistics on religious affiliation you will quickly note that Christianity leads the pack and that Atheists and Agnostics are underrepresented. To be fair, poverty is a huge contributor here.

It seems Christianity is not living up to your hype.

• Brian Fritzen says:

You know, he is just going to ignore those things just like he ignores all facts. He has for months. But thanks for the stats.

• Keith says:

Interesting stats on divorce rates. Some considerations that I don’t think were mentioned are the number of couples who:

1) live in a desperately dysfunctional relationship but who don’t divorce because they are frightened to: (fear of hellfire & damnation or community anger).

2) are legally divorced but the church for their own perverse reasons refuses to recognise it.

3) are divorced but the church deliberately ignores the stats so that it can lie about how wonderful its own brand of religion is.

• Pastor di Semola de Grano Duro says:

And a few couples who stay together for the sake of their children as well.

• TiltedHorizon says:

I thought I’d update my post with more data evidencing my point, not that it is needed, Biggy’s silence on the facts is all the confirmation I need. Here are the results of a study published in the Journal of Society and Religion, 2008. Link below, but here are some tidbits:

“In general, higher rates of belief in and worship of a creator correlate with higher rates of homicide, juvenile and early adult mortality, STD infection rates, teen pregnancy and abortion in the prosperous democracies.”

“There is evidence that within the U.S. strong disparities in religious belief versus acceptance of evolution are correlated with similarly varying rates of societal dysfunction, the strongly theistic, anti-evolution south and mid-west having markedly worse homicide, mortality, STD, youth pregnancy, marital and related problems than the northeast where societal conditions, secularization, and acceptance of evolution approach European norms”

Read more here:http://moses.creighton.edu/JRS/2005/2005-11.html#figures

• Noodly Goodness says:

So this seems to correlate ignorance to violence? Who would have thought?

BTW love the stats on divorce. So does my wife of 11 years. Guess we’re going to make it ;)

• TiltedHorizon says:

Here is my interpretation of the results.

Those who believe in a higher power may feel they have time to right their wrongs before death comes. Ask god for forgiveness, pack on a few ‘rights’ to balance the scales then all is good in their eyes.

Those who don’t believe have to right their wrongs immediately, there is no higher power to free our conscience of accountability, the scales remain negatively tipped until we fix it. This heightened sense of accountability means we proactively look to avoid the wrongs.

Granted….. this is just my humble opinion. :)

Congrats on the 11 years.

• Appendagelover says:

Hi i’m new to the church, loving it by the way. I thought i would add: i watched a really good docco (based on a book) called freakonomics the other day. It talked about the causative link between legalized abortion and crime reduction. Basically people bought up in situations where they are unwanted/accidents are predisposed to crime (makes sense). So once people were not forced to have children at unfeasible times in their life, less dysfunctional individuals are being introduced into society. I thought this was a startling (but logical) conclusion and yet another example of “christendom” holding back the EVOLUTION (haha) of society.
        May we all be guided by His Noodly Appendage
        R’amen

• SouleSlayere says:

Hey everybody, I’ve got an idea! Let’s all go to a christian forum and start bitching and rambling and being douche bags on THEIR forums. Yeah! Come on guys! Guys? Oh yeah… only christians are that immature.

• Brian Fritzen says:

You should see Yahoo Religion & Spirituality. Plenty of Xian D-Bags there. They think the forum is “Jesus and Friends.” Quite a funny group over there. The atheists are amongst some of the funniest people I have seen.

• Noodly Goodness says:

Yeah, atheists can be d-bags about it all too. The problem is that everyone wants to be right, and they know not everyone can, so they start slinging epithets to make themselves feel better about themselves. Sad.

It makes me sadder when some atheists use pastafarianism as a blunt weapon against religion, when doing so is clearly against the whole point of pastafarianism. :(

• pool noodle says:

The aids pandemic has been made worse by the vatican’s refusal to endorse the use of condoms. Your head is in your ass.
      Also, creationism as the bible describes is clearly allegory, literal interpretation is just plain foolish. A sane person might hypothesize that the big bang may have been caused by the creator. That same sane person might see that science could be the path to a greater understanding of the nature of all that is. Or you could hide your head in a book of fables. Your choice Big Joke

• Oak says:

Big Guy my suggestion to you would be to visit some of the nations of Africa, in most of which homosexuality is illegal and in some the penalty for said “crime” is death. Strangely God has not refrained from giving these countries the highest rates of HIV and AIDS, poverty, hunger, drought, crime-levels and corruption in the world. If we accept the premise that God exists and punishes what he views to be wrong then it would seem that far from hating homosexuals and our ilk. He hates homophobics and those who use religion and his name to legitimize the evil inside them.

3. Big Guy says:

I love Jesus, but he won’t have sex with me as long as I am a pathological liar. Too bad I can’t change.

4. Big Guy says:

After contributing thousands of nearly-illiterate keystrokes and many pages of plagarized text to this form, it’s time to summarize my accomplishments:

Pastafarians converted to Christianity……NONE

Number of questions honestly answered……NONE

Number of people i have convinced that i have an IQ of 140……NONE

Debates won by me……NONE

Number of Christians that think i’m a good representative of their faith……NONE

Improvement in my grammar and spelling……NONE

Hmmm…Maybe i’m not wining.

• Randy says:

Don’t be sad Biggie, you have taught me that its ok to hate as long as I do it in the name of god. And that x-tian men are all secretly homos who wank it all the time.

• theFewtheProudtheMarinara says:

“its ok to hate as long as I do it in the name of god.”
        Sort of like how the Conquistadors would baptize little Incan babies before dashing their brains out against the rocks, eh?

• Big Guy says:

“Oh ye faithless generation, what should I do with you?”.The conquistadors were only doing what God wanted them to do, which was to spread the gospel while leaving a few corpses in their wake. After all, Hernan Cortes killed fewer people than Joshua.

• puppygoogoo says:

So if i kill big guy in the name of god its ok? No it isnt, actually im pretty sure i would go to jail. Id be pretty popular but still going to jail.

puppygoogoo

• Big Guy says:

Puppypoopoo,

You lousy atheistic pastafarian unholy trash talker. You can count on rotting in hell for all eternity because of your big blasfemus mouth. While your rotting, i’ll be sitting among the angels on a flesie white cloud wanking away. The Lard is a jealous God and he don’t put up with such blasfemus shit. Don’t you think i’m wining? Of coarse i am.

• randomguy7890 says:

lol think ur winning?
          let me be the third person here and say that there wasnt an arguement until u showed up, actually its still not an arguement,
          its annoying,

PS LOL “lard” (you said it urself)

• Big Guy says:

I’m still here impostor-bator; June 2, 2011 at 9:19 AM

Thou has not banished my key strokes from this pathetic excuse for a tax right off where whiners come to bitch. Exposing you as a purveyor of lies with a juvenile mind is hilarious.

God Bless you & forgive you and your blasphemes!.

• Noodly Goodness says:

Did you guys hear something?

• TiltedHorizon says:

Nope, this whiner was raptured to the grey purgatory where his pathetic excuse for key strokes cannot be heard.

5. Margo says:

I love how he mocks Michelle Bachman. Best thing ever. I hope next election year for her she never gets elected again (I hate having to say that I’m from her district, but sadly I live with ignorant people…so ignorant). I completely support Kopplin. Go science! :D

• theFewtheProudtheMarinara says:

Let’s pretend we’re aliens who land in Minnesota, and we’ve never invented religion. Then we hear people like Bachmann arguing against scientifically proven facts because they don’t agree with the voices in their heads from imaginary beings. I don’t know about the rest of you, but I’d start to slowly back my way into the spaceship.

• Keith says:

Personally I would be inclined to level the planet to stop Earth infecting other planets. I’m surprised Klaatu & Gort didn’t finish the job when they visited Earth in 1951. (No, I haven’t seen the remake and I don’t intend to).

• theFewtheProudtheMarinara says:

Funny on your first point and sensible on both, Keith!

• TiltedHorizon says:

That woman is bat shit crazy. I know people trip over their word when speaking publicly but she does it so often I can’t dismiss it as accidental anymore…..

Here are some winning quotes:

“And what a bizarre time we’re in, when a judge will say to little children that you can’t say the pledge of allegiance, but you must learn that homosexuality is normal and you should try it.”

“There are hundreds and hundreds of scientists, many of them holding Nobel Prizes, who believe in intelligent design.”

“I find it interesting that it was back in the 1970s that the swine flu broke out then under another Democrat president Jimmy Carter. And I’m not blaming this on President Obama, I just think it’s an interesting coincidence.”

“[Gay marriage] is probably the biggest issue that will impact our state and our nation in the last, at least, thirty years. I am not understating that.”

“Normalization [of gayness] through desensitization. Very effective way to do this with a bunch of second graders is take a picture of ‘The Lion King’ for instance, and a teacher might say, ‘Do you know that the music for this movie was written by a gay man?’ The message is: ‘I’m better at what I do, because I’m gay.’”

“The President of the United States will be taking a trip over to India that is expected to cost the taxpayers $200 million a day.”

• randomguy7890 says:

dont forget that she said the nh was the state that started the revolutionary war in lexington in concord!
        (it was really concord ma, and i dont think there is a lexington in nh)

6. Big Guy says:

I agree with everything Bachmann said.

A Saviour delivering God fearing salvation.
    Sodom and Gomorrah is the alternative…

Evil flourishes when good men & women do nothing.

• TiltedHorizon says:

So you believe the President of the United States will be taking a trip over to India that is expected to cost the taxpayers $200 million a day? Your IQ is what again?

• Big Guy says:

“Evil flourishes when good men & women do nothing.”

Dang, this must be why evil remains after I pray to make it go away.

• Big Guy says:

P.S. And the reason i agree with everything Bachman said is that i am also “Bat Shit Crazy.”

7. Big Guy says:

Bachmann also thinks the Catholics are the antichrist and will burn in hell.
    And of course I agree with that.
    Damn papists!

8. Big Guy says:

Batshit Crazy! Google, Google, Giggle…bin Laden and Jack Kevorkian are both dead…the Lard is at work cleansing the earth of undesirables. You atheistic, pastafarian, low-life scum-of-the-earth are next in line, rite after catholics and homosexuals. i continue to do the Lard’s work here on this form…yea, even from my dank cell here in the basemunt of the Arkham Asylum for the Religiously Demented will i strive for my Savor. God will smite you for your blasfemy, and you will know you have been seriously smitten when you develop leprosy and paper cuts. Yea, verily, the time for being smoted draws nigh. Thus saith, i, Big Guy, the Holy Harbinger of Hate and Hellfire. Hallelujah!

• Big Guy says:

Impostur at 10:40 am: You dirty pastafarian son-of-a-bitch, you will rot in hell for all eternity. You insult me, the mighty Big Guy, and my Buddies of the Holy Trinity. May all 4 horses of the apocalypse shit on your sidewalk. The horsemen too!