Zack Kopplin Vs. The Louisiana Science Education Act

Published May 28th, 2011 by Bobby Henderson

Here’s a video of Zack Kopplin on Hardball last night.  Zack is the student battling the Lousiana Science Education Act – a law that would allow “supplemental textbooks and other teaching materials” into science classrooms.  Zack saw this (correctly) as a backdoor method to teach Creationism and has been leading the fight against it.

Some of us remember the LSEA bill passing in 2008.  Zack’s been trying to get it repealed since then.  He found a senator to sponsor the repeal and has since found thousands of supporters (including over 40 Noble Laureates).  Yesterday Zack brought teachers and scientists to testify in favor of the repeal in front of the Louisiana Senate Education Committee.

Zack makes a couple excellent points on Hardball.  One is that science *is* a process of critical thinking (one of the ostensible purposes of the law is to promote critical thinking).  Another point is that a state’s science standards determine how their students will be viewed elsewhere.

He also slams Michelle Bachman which is both fair and entertaining.

All in all it was an excellent appearance.  Zack deserves a lot of credit for his work.  I for one am very impressed and I’m confident he has a bright future ahead of him.  Whatever the fate of the repeal, Zack’s done a tremendous service for the cause of rationality.  The fight is as important as the outcome.  The Louisiana legislature may reject reason for a few more years but the rest of the world has benefited from watching this ordeal.   There are bills similar to the LSEA all across the country – it’s an ongoing struggle, and I’m glad there are people like Zack on our side.

Zack, please let us know if you need anything from Team FSM.  We have your back.

386 Responses to “Zack Kopplin Vs. The Louisiana Science Education Act”

1. observer963 says:

All I can say is WOW! This young man sure has courage and knows exactly what he is talking about. Good for him. He gives me hope that the new generation doesn’t fall for the nonsense of the conservatives. I am sure I am not the only one.

2. SpaghettiGAL22 says:

This guy is brave :-) Especially since those southern states seem to worship god and be very religious!

3. ORAXX says:

If creationism, or its bastard child intelligent design, had any merit, the proponets of these things would not have to resort to the force of law to get them into the schools.

• TheFewTheProudTheMarinara says:

So true. Intelligent design is the belief that everything was created in a never observed, scientifically impossible manner by an equally improbable, never observed Creator for unfathomable reasons. If god is perfect, he is complete, and has no need for playthings.

• Anomander says:

You quite obviously know too little about science…

• TheFewTheProudTheMarinara says:

The scientific method consists of 4 to 8 steps, depending on how you break them down, but generally it goes:
          observation, question, research, hypothesis, prediction, experimentation, analysis of data, conclusion. This method attempts to minimize the influence of the scientist’s bias on the outcome of an experiment. That is, when testing an hypothesis or a theory, the scientist may have a preference for one outcome or another (like Creationism), and it is important that this preference not bias the results or their interpretation.

As a scientist of a sort, I take exception to your post, Anomander. Perhaps you could enlighten us on how I went wrong.

• Apprentice Frederic says:

tFtPtM, not that you need any seconding, but, FWIW, your comments seconded. Hope Anomander will follow up.

BTW, I noted that the the Zack post is a year and a half old, but also see from the internet that Zack is still fighting. Is there in fact, just to stick to the thread, anything that the CoFSM can do to help add impact????

4. Bianca Lawrence says:

Go Zack! May the sauce be with you!

• ali says:

Smart brave guy! Love him!

5. Katoolsie says:

omg, he’s a cutie!

• Keith says:

Just goes to show you don’t have to be ugly to be a battler.

6. Rev. Wulff says:

Our good buddy Zack is continuing to fight the good fight, this time on Bill Maher’s show:

Zack, if you’re reading this, keep up the good work. We support you.

• TheFewTheProudTheMarinara says:

I saw that. I propose we beatify Zack. Or at least let him design a new model at the stripper factory.

• Keith says:

I couldn’t hear what was being discussed over the constant interruptions and shouting.

7. typy hokej says:

hi!,I really like your writing very much! proportion we keep in touch more
    about your post on AOL? I need an expert in this house
    to solve my problem. Maybe that is you! Having a look forward to see you.

8. Sarah says:

I love how you people are exactly the same as the Christians. On basically every thread, you bash Christians and Catholics for trying to make everyone share their faith, and here you are, doing EXACTLY the same thing. Leave the damn Christians alone. Leave the freaking atheists alone. Believe whatever the hell you want to believe, because ABSOLUTELY nothing you say is going to make anybody change their point of view in the slightest.

*steps off soapbox*

Plus, the idea of a flying spaghetti monster is stupid. It’s not satirical or ironic or funny, it’s ignorant and rude. If anyone legitimately believes in your alleged “god”, let me know and I’ll definitely apologize. For the rest of you, who think believing in pasta is no worse than believing in any other god, just think about this. If there is no god, and you’ve spent your life worshiping one, big deal. You wasted part of your life, but you’re dead, so it’s not like you care anymore. But if there is a god, and you’ve spent your life trash-talking one, it kind of is a big deal, because your eternal life is going to suck. I’m not a Christian or an atheist or much of anything, but it seems like you don’t have much to lose by muttering a rosary once and a while.

*legitimately steps off soapbox*

• TheFewTheProudTheMarinara says:

What if you’ve killed people because of your faith? That would be a big deal, wouldn’t it? Not only has that happened to millions of people throughout history, it’s still going on. Not here at the COFSM, though. Yes, we wouldn’t have much to lose by muttering over some beads – 15 or 20 minutes perhaps. Nothing to gain, either.

• SillyKiwiMan says:

Sigh. How original. Sarah, read up on something called Pascal’s Wager. By your ‘logic’ we should all be worshipping Thor, Vishnu, the Invisible Pink Unicorn and every other god people have invented, just in case. Frankly I don’t have time. Oh, and we’re just as legitimate as any other church, so a big ‘fuck you’ on that front. You think we should believe in whatever we cannot disprove, offer us the same courtesy. Besides, if I worship every god, won’t I piss off the reet, particularly your jealous Abrahamic one?

I’m smelling bullshit at her claim to not be a christian. The use of the word catholic, as though they aren’t of the christian faith, stinks of American protestantism. I would also like to know just what her agenda is. Do we have a new Gabe to put their fingers in their ears and yell ‘la la la! I can’t hear things that challenge my tiny world view!’?

• TheFewtheProudtheMarinara says:

Yeah, I pegged her as a Christian, too, but possibly as a Catholic due to the rosary reference. I wonder if Kathy would dress up as a pirate wench so as to please the Noodly One? No harm done, as she points out.

• TheFewtheProudtheMarinara says:

Oops. Make that Sarah, not Kathy. Unless of course Kathy looks better in the wench costume.

• Apprentice Frederic says:

A Christian in a wench costume doesn’t sound like much of a turn-on…

• Keith says:

Some people find the “come hither” approach combined with the unobtainable quite exciting. In all seriousness I think Sarah put her foot through her soap box as soon as she stepped on to it. If she actually read through the nasty letters we get she’d realise that we are simply giving as good as we get.

• SillyKiwiMan says:

Catholic girls rule, as the Chili Peppers said. The repressed always go nuts when the pressure is released. I have always felt pity for such people. Rather than being allowed a healthy way to blow off steam, a mad rush of release leads to badly made decisions in the heat of the moment.

It’s not just religion though. When I did some time as an ambo years ago, the only way I could decompress was through self-destructive behaviour. Anger turned inwards, as Freud put it. Frankly, it was mostly due to my own immaturity. Imagine being told that you must be ashamed of your very thoughts. What most of us see as a natural part of being human, some are told they should fear. I grew up with no shame associated with sex. Far from leading me to promiscuity, I realised that it was something to be enjoyed, but respected. I have known too many who have never had that sort of perspective, and they and their accidental offspring pay the price. The sad thing is that one generation never seems to learn from their forebears.

• St. Arrrrgyle says:

“Muttering” a rosary seems to go along with the whole Pascal’s Wager thing. Kinda self-serving rather than deity-serving. I’ll take the path of integrity vs. a path of pretense.