1191275 Views

A Warning

Published April 9th, 2011 by Bobby Henderson

While I am not of your "religion". I will not trash your website like the majority of the blundering baboons around here, instead I am here to support not your religion, but your attempt to keep religion and education separate. The constitution gives the people not only of freedom of religion but freedom from it. By teaching religion in any public school you are effectively taking away that right. Many, however argue that it is by "majority rules" that the teaching is decided. This argument is stultifying to many of  the proponents of this argument, because if this was true, slavery would still be legal.

I am a Hindu and have an open mind to virtually all religions. I know that this religion is not a real religion; but an attempt to show the errors and flaws of most organized religion and those who support it’s full integration into state affairs. I support your attempt to show how religion should not be taught in public education. The majority of people ranting on your website are not venting against the concept of separation of religion and public education, but against your satire of their religion.

Yet, I must warn you not to take this to far. You’re tab with the word hate mail is almost doing this. I am not worried too much about this, but the whole thing will make some people very irate. It might push some maniac over the edge and cause them to grab a gun and go after you. This has happened in the past, remember Malcolm X? Thus, I propose that you put somewhere on your front page of the site, that this is not an actual religion but an attempt to keep religion out of public schools.

A concerned supporter

Nikhil

I don’t think Nikhil meant direct criticism (or veiled threat) with this message.

I take issue with the idea of real religion, as if such a thing can be defined and agreed upon.  I’ve said it in the past and I still believe strongly that there is no classification of religion without agenda.  I don’t expect mainstream religion (or a government influenced by mainstream religion) to see ours as a real religion because there is every incentive to see us as something else.  A joke, a way to mock their beliefs.  They will see us in terms that serve their purpose.

Most Pastafarians do want to keep religion out of schools, most of us are against tax exemptions (and indirect subsidies) for religious institutions.  We object to the power religion is allowed in government, and the excuses made for leaders of religion.  We’re saddened that it’s still seen as improper to criticize anything related to mainstream religion.

But this isn’t just because we’re Pastafarians.  It’s because Pastafarians are rational, reasonable, intelligent people who are not driven by any particular dogmatic thinking.  We are individuals who reject the concept of faith-over-reason, of indoctrination, and the fact that we’ve formed a group does not mean that we’ve come to these conclusions because that’s the group opinion.

Why does humor invalidate our beliefs?  I see this argument all the time and don’t understand it.  The idea that FSM is not an actual religion because it’s satire or this or that is obviously a joke – so what?  I’d argue that for the same reason Jon Stewart’s Daily Show has value as actual news, FSM has value as actual religion.  Different, yes, but that is the point.  Not everyone gets it – but again, that is the point.  We reject lowest common denominator indoctrination in favor of nuanced thinking

Is it just that mainstream religion is so utterly humorless?  Most religious people I know have a great sense of humor but I think they would agree that the institution of religion is rigid and stifling.  There are obvious areas where it’s not ok to make a joke.  One of the creepiest things I find about religion is that feeling that everyone is trying to act very serious.

Our religion may not fit the definition of real religion as defined by outsiders.   But make no mistake – we have no ambition for FSM to be similar to mainstream religions.  How we’re classified is not important to us.  And while we understand that not everyone will get what we’re doing and why we’re doing it, it’s not our intention to offend – but nor is it our highest priority to avoid offense.

159 Responses to “A Warning”

1 7 8 9
  1. Rasputin says:

Dear Nate, please show me rationally / scientifically that your God exists. Show me the evidence and I’ll convert.

2. Excelsior says:

Nate,
    The reason that Hitler murdered 50 million people is because God gave him the “free will” to do so. Where did the “free will” of those 50 million people not to be murdered go?
    God gave the Boko Haram “free will” to kidnap hundreds of school girls to be sold as sex slaves. Where did the “free will” of those girls not to be sex slaves go to?
    “Free will” is the standard way to prove how loving God is and all evil is done by man.. However, for every person God raised from the grave, at least 100 milion people have been murdered by “free will” he gave to the butchers!

• Nate says:

Dear Rasputin, thank you for the comment. I’ll respond about your request tomorrow, hopefully giving you substantial reason to believe what I’m saying. And Excelsior, yes, Hitler did murder 50 million people, 6 million of which are Jews. But the free will of the people not murdered was where it was before. The only difference is that some people took the chance more than others. And I believe God could’ve stopped the Holocaust, but there was one thing the Jews did that probably cost them those lives. See, back when Jesus was being crucified, the Jews rejected him as the Son of God. When they took him before the Roman Governor, even he said that Jesus was innocent, and there was no reason to execute him. But after he said that, the crowd yelled out, “Just kill him! Just let his blood be on us, our children, and our children’s children!” and so on so forth. So the Holocaust was due to what the Jew’s ancestors said, which cursed them. As for Boko Haram, yes they had free will, but used it the WRONG WAY. And the captured girls didn’t have a chance, they couldn’t fight. Their physical will was taken. And for the record, there is no way to prove that your 100 million people statistic is true. People die and are born every day.

• SillyKiwiMan says:

You really are a fuckwit.

• Saint Gnocchi says:

Dear SilliKiwiMan, Congratulations on NZ’s World Cup Rugby win. No fault of NZ, though, that I am getting rather bored with the endless repetitions of the Haka display. Sheesh, the media sure are throttling the life out of it. I used to so enjoy watching it, but now it’s driving me to drink.

• Rasputin says:

Dear Nate, this stuff about the Jews murdering Jebus is “spin” which was applied by the early Christian church. Blaming the Jews made it easier for Roman aristocrats to accept Christianity. Much of the story is fake, such as the supposed questioning of Jebus by Pilate. Who was the witness who heard the discussion and wrote it down? Nobody who attended could have been either Jewish nor a disciple.

• Canoodle says:

Dear Excelsior, free will is over-rated, free wifi is heaps more fun! I hope the people “God raised from the grave” are no longer sad. Or in danger. I’m not sure of the context.

3. Nate says:

• Nate says:

Sorry for the repeat response it’s my computer again.

4. Nate says:

Dear Rasputin, you say the story was fake and that there were no Jews attending the questioning by Pilate. The whole assembly of people screaming curses were Jewish. The Jews, we believe, are God’s chosen people. Because Jesus was rejected by his own people, he died on the cross to pay for the sins of the rest of the people, so that they could enter Heaven, as well as faithful Jews. Rasputin, I feel like I’m trying to explain this, but there’s a part of my argument I can’t seem to get to to make a point. I know I accept this as truth, but there has to be something I could say to make a viable point. Though you might find it hard to believe his works, you must understand that Jesus was a real person who walked the face of the earth 2,000 years ago, and the Gospel he preached still stands as truth today.

• SillyKiwiMan says:

Why “must” we believe it? There is not a shred of evidence for it.

Faith is believing in something, without evidence or in the face of evidence to the contrary.

Faith is, therefore, the conscious embrace of stupidity.

• Rasputin says:

Dear Nate, we’re all familiar with the bit about Pilate addressing the Jews and asking, “Shall we welease Woderick? He wanks as high as any in Rome”.
      What I’m referring to is the earlier part, “Render unto Caesar what is Caesar’s” and all that.
      Nobody was present except Jebus, Pilate and Pilate’s immediate staff. So who among them would have told the story of what was said?
      Answer: Nobody. It’s an invention by the early Christian church. They invented a discussion which would not have happened and which nobody would have recorded.
      The entire passage is a myth, to justify to the Christians in Rome that:
      (a) Jebus was killed by the Jews, not Rome and –
      (b) The secular state must not be allowed to take money which belongs to the Church.

• Saint Gnocchi says:

Dear Rasputin. May I respectfully point out to you that Pilate said “Wome” – not “Rome.” I had to correct Pam as well, she thought it was “the Son of Linguine” who rose up, when all the time it was Mother Teresa in drag. Sheesh.

• Rasputin says:

Sorry, St. G, You’re right.

5. Saint Gnocchi says:

Deat SilliKiwiMan, I salute you. Whenever I hear the “oldies” talking about “how great this church/website ‘used to be’ and that they think it is somehow in disgrace these days, I deel disappointed at such an attitude. People like Nate, (however difficult it might be for us to coax him into using his noggin) are voices that SHOULD be given a platform here. That we have a stern, sensible and intelligent voice such as yours engaging with him, is great. Thank you for your patience. I do not believe Nate is stupid. Granted, he might become tiresome at some point yet – but then, the job of adults is to be kind yet firm. He is trying.

• SillyKiwiMan says:

Very trying.

• Nate says:

Thank you for the recognition. I really do try. But you say that faith is, “believing in something, without evidence or in the face of evidence to the contrary.” If this is the case, how can you believe in the fsm without a “shred of evidence?” Has he done miracles to help the people, show his power, or etc.? In my personal opinion, it can work either way. Just the way you say I can’t prove anything, I can question equally that of the fsm. That being said, what exactly is evidence of faith, in your version? And lastly, I do not try to force my beliefs on you. It is your descision to reject it if that is your intention. Respectfully, Nate.

• SillyKiwiMan says:

Our church is simply a mirror that we hold up to other religions.

If you take it literally, then you’re thicker than I thought.

6. Rasputin says:

Dear SillyKiwiMan, you’re right. We’re a mirror held up to other religions. Our Church works on many levels. Sometimes it’s like the Charlie Chaplin film, “The Great Dictator”. We mimic the other churches to reveal their absurdities.

7. Saint Gnocchi says:

Dear Rasputin, Yes, ….the Charley Chaplin film. And maybe , in case Gayclops and/or Nate never came across it, the story of “The Emperor’s New Clothes.”

1 7 8 9