UK Census

Published March 22nd, 2011 by Bobby Henderson

checkmark2

I’ve heard from several UK Pastafarians that it’s Census time in Britain.  In 2001 there was a movement to make “Jedi” a recognized religion by the government.  It would be fantastic if Pastafarianism could gain similar recognition.

So, UK Pastafarians, on your 2011 Census, if you are a Believer, write Pastafarian as your religion.

*Update*

I’ve gotten a lot of emails about this and I see a lot of comments saying the same thing – there is a feeling by many that it is important to put “No Religion” on this year’s census form, and the British Humanist Association makes a pretty strong argument for this.

If you say you’re religious on the census and don’t really mean it, then you are treated by some sections of the media, churches, and even government policymakers as if you are a fully-fledged believer.

While there are many True Believer Pastafarians, a large number of us could be described as not literally believing our own scripture. That’s not all that unusual in religion (many Christians don’t take the Bible literally) but that we are honest about our own reservations *is* unusual (and an important part of our religion). I often hear this brought up in arguments why Pastafarianism is not a “real” religion. My feeling is that defining religion is always done with some agenda and we’re best off not fitting into anyone’s small-minded definitions. But this problem remains – there are a huge number of people who get something positive out of Pastafarianism without literally believing the scripture. This census question, when asking people to define themselves in such simple terms, can’t fully capture a person’s view of a very complex subject.

If I was a UK citizen I would find this a difficult choice. Good luck!

76 Responses to “UK Census”

1. Keith says:

Interesting. Not obvious though , as it is under Flying Spaghetti Monster and not under “Church of…” or “Pastafarian”.

2. puppygoogoo says:

There is a church of australia? Being Australian and having never seen this church i am now curious as to what they do? Wrestle crocs? Drink beer and cook bbqs? I do like that his noodliness is on the list though.

• Keith says:

As long as they don’t worship John Howard or have images of Tony Abbot in his speedos.

• stylusmobilus says:

Or have Pauline Hanson as a preacher.

3. Adrian says:

Hello everybody,

I can`t find a contact link here, but if someone can help me. I am a citizen of Serbia, and in the next couple of months there is going to be a census, and I want to declare myself as Pastafarian but i am worried if this would be OK since there are fines from 200 to 500 euros :).

Greetings everybody!

• Keith says:

Adrian,
      If you are not certain I would suggest put down “no religion” or “atheist” or whatever. It is probably not worth a fine just to test the boundaries.

• stylusmobilus says:

I wouldn’t test any boundaries in Serbia…

4. bugatti veyron price details says:

I really like examining and I believe this website got some truly utilitarian stuff on it! .

5. Dave says:

I put Pastafarian as my religion on my census form, while i do understand what the humanists are trying to do i don’t fully agree with it, religion in school (and by this i mean Christianity/Catholicism as it is England after all not Pakistan) as long as it is a small part can be highly beneficial, the basic “laws” are good, common sense that no one could truly argue against, it’s only when some schools go nuts about it, start shoving the invisible sky person down kids’ throats that it becomes an issue, my primary school was mostly secular but we still sung some hymns in assembly (most of us sung the rude versions for a laugh) and celebrated things like harvest festival aling with Easter and Christmas, while i’m in no way religious nor am i defending religion, if used as simply a moral background it can be ok, it’s only when blind faith is required that we end up in a nightmare

6. The other other Dave says:

I too ticked the ‘other’ box and wrote pastafarianism as my religion.

It only occured to me afterwards that some berk who collates all this stuff might misread it a rastafarian. I hope not as I look forward to Sept 19th being made a bank holiday here in the UK and the legal right to wear full pirate regalia to work on the blessed day being enshrined in law.

I HAVE been touched by his Noodly appendage.

7. Spielzeug says:

very good articel i like it

8. gareth says:

Pastaferian is not ‘non religious’ it is a stand against the ‘hook,line and sinker’ blinkered belief system of the organised church. I was brought up christian but reading the bible, there are some things that are allegorical in there that some ‘sheep’ take to be literal. C’mon- who believes in a zombiechrist god who wants you to cannibalistically eat his flesh and drink his blood??