Wisconsin protest sighting

Published February 26th, 2011 by Bobby Henderson

Wisconsin_Protestor

Michael spotted this man protesting the anti-union measures in Wisconsin today on CNN.  I know there are many Pastafarians in Madison and that most all of us are in support of your efforts.  Stay strong, guys. Let us know how we can help.

26 Responses to “Wisconsin protest sighting”

1. hotclaws says:

made of win

2. Janus says:

To let you know, Ian’s Pizza is a short distance from the protests and is delivering food to folks to help the protest. If you want to donate to the pizza fund, here’s the info:

Thank you everyone who is supporting what we are trying to do here to show that the new conservative majority cannot ignore the people they are supposed to serve as a whole.

3. Mariusz says:

The sign in the background saying “The budget IS balanced” is hilarious. And I might be interested in helping teachers, unions – never.

• Ohio Pirate says:

Ha ha ha ha ha ha….You didn’t really end your argument with an admission that you believe teachers to be problem did you? Ah yes, I guess you did. How disappointing. And what, please tell me, could be more important than the education of our world’s future?

• Mariusz says:

Education of our world’s future sounds pretty important, it does indeed. It actually sounds many other things too. But demagogy issues aside, I think that not teaching as a form of protesting in order to get more money doesn’t near us to the goal of well educated world’s future. The whole system is broken and the unions are ALWAYS part of it, not against it. The teachers, on the other hand, are usually good people that don’t give a crap about politics. Please note, that I’m speaking here about the general rule, and not about the particular situation which emerged in Wisconsin. That may be irrelevant, but as a inhabitant of a postsocialist state I have a little bit of comparison. So please, America, don’t go this road, don’t fuck up your values.

P.S. Yes, I’m a pastafarian.

• Ohio Pirate says:

Mariusz,

I understand your points. However, this bill does not address the reforms that do need to take place within unions as separate issues. Rather, it is a bill designed to put all of the power into the hands of the few. Collective bargaining is what stands between us and capitalist rule. Yes, unions need reformed and regulated, but let’s not throw the baby out with the bath water. Unions are not near the reason that state’s are in financial peril, they are just the weakest and most vulnerable of the participants.

RAmen brother!

• Mariusz says:

Thanks for replying so fast. I don’t see a reply button under your post, apparently the tree got to big, so I’ll just put my answer here.

I got a little bit more interested in the issue and I’ve read some more on the topic, but I don’t really see anything that would put the protestors in any brighter light. All they seem to be interested in is keeping their right to “collectively bargain”, which is a term I haven’t come to hear before and it made me wonder why don’t we have a similar one in our local newspeak here in Poland. I agree with your point that public sector unions (not only teacher’s ones) are not the main reason of the poor state of the state’s budget, although they’re surely one of them. It doesn’t matter though – this whole argument reminds me of what a great polish freedom thinker Stefan Kisielewski once said about socialism, a different yet increasingly similar system: “Socialism is an economic system which heroically overcomes problems nonexistent in other economic systems”. It’s just a shame that it comes to such idiotic moot points in the United States, which used to be the greatest symbol of free enterprise and capitalism here behind the wall.

• Ohio Pirate says:

Mariusz,

I too could not find a reply button so I hope this goes in the right spot. You are again right to point out that the unions certainly share some of the blame for our financial woes. Additionally, I would agree with your philosopher’s assertion about socialism. I think that socialism in its purest form is just as bad as capitalism or communism in their respective purest forms. The idea behind collective bargaining is that a united group of employees are less likely to get abused, and present a more formidable force against the greed of pure capitalism because of the amount of influence a unified group has in comparison to an individual. In other words, a corporate giant in the private sector or a wayward governor in the public sector is less likely to try and abuse employees if they understand the consequences could hurt them politically or financially with legal binding organized opposition. Reform, reorganize the unions…yes. Discard collective bargaining completely…no. Good conversation.

RAmen brother!

• Brian Fritzen says:

I would just like to remind all of the people responding here that Finland’s educational system has teachers.

Finland has the best educational system in the world.

4. Carl says:

Bobby, did you really just assert that being anti-Creationism means one is pro-union?

• Slurreydude says:

No… he said most of us may support the unionists

i happen to so for those wisconsonites

Keep Up The Good Work!

• Brian Fritzen says:

REMEMBER?
      “First They Came for the Jews”
      By Pastor Niemoller

“First they came for the Jews and I did not speak out because I was not a Jew.

Then they came for the Communists and I did not speak out because I was not a Communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists and I did not speak out because I was not a trade unionist.

Then they came for me and there was no one left to speak out for me. ”

But, for the current climate in the USA:

First they came for the Communists and I did not speak out because I was not a Communist.
      Muslims and I did not speak out because I was not a Muslim.
      Then they came for the unionists and I did not speak out because I was not a unionist.
      Then they came for me and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Now consider Carl von Ossietzky and Julian Assange.

My wife and I are considering emigrating out of the USA. Sad really, since my native ancestors have been here for thousands of years and my white ancestors were settlers and abolitionists.

Viva La Revolution

• Brian Fritzen says:

Honestly,

What is wrong with unions. And try not to parrot the Democrats or Republicans but come up with something that they are personally doing to prevent you from following the American Dream.

• Keith says:

Unions are what prevent the rich and greedy from being richer and greedier at the expence of the people who actually do the work. That was why John Howard introduced his slave nation policy into Australia. He wanted to stifle industrial democracy so that his corrupt mates could gain even more control over the workers. In some areas (such as the building industry) he practically made industrial action illegal. I know it is trendy these days to laugh at the “cloth cap and braces set” but many non unionists (in Australia at least) enjoy pay and working conditions that unions have worked hard to achieve.

• Ohio Pirate says:

No, he correctly assumed that most of us are rational individuals who recognize gross manipulation by corporate greed when we see it. See the difference Mr. Koch?

5. spaghetti jr. says:

i want this t-shirt!!

6. Fitzy says:

Unions? You mean the ability to strike for more pay/benefits for a person who is payed $30/hr to put tab A in slot A, when there’s a perfectly capable non-union hiree who is willing to put tab A in slot A while also doing tab B, for LESS pay, but won’t be hired because the union contract of the former person doesn’t allow the employer to lay him off due to shitty work?

Yeah, you could say I’m anti-union.

7. Mike Sheridan says:

This was an interview I did while in Madison with some friends. May his noodley appendage bless you too. Ramen.

8. new york steak house says:

Its like you read my mind! You appear to know a lot about this, like you wrote the book in it or something. I think that you could do with some pics to drive the message home a bit, but other than that, this is wonderful blog. A fantastic read. I will definitely be back.