Kentucky considering “academic” bible classes

Published February 13th, 2011 by Bobby Henderson

sen.bowen

The Kentucky Post reports the state of Kentucky is considering allowing the Christian Bible to be studied in school.

From state Senator Bowen:

No doubt about it, the most important book ever written and obviously, it’s had so much influence on our society and all of Western civilization.

Senator Bowen sponsored the Bill “which would direct the state Department of Education to develop a course curriculum around the Bible, which local school councils could then approve for teaching in their schools.”

The bill was approved by Kentucky’s State Senate and now goes to the House for review.

Ostensibly the purpose of the legislation is to ensure that the teaching of the bible is taught in the context of literature or as a part of culture.  That would be nice.  Of course this blurring of the separation of church and state will cause overreaching by those who feel its their Duty to God as it has in the past.

I would love to see a comparative religion course made mandatory in public schools across the US.

94 Responses to “Kentucky considering “academic” bible classes”

1. squirrelbutter says:

I took bibble at the college level. For my literature requirement. It was taught as History of Early Judaism. I was pleased.

2. Jay says:

I’m a Christian and a Kentuckian. I don’t really have a problem with the Bible being studied as literature as long as it’s not mandatory. I agree with Bobby, I would love to see a comparative religion class. I think the problem with a Bible class and a comparative religion class is that the instructors would have to be picked carefully. It’s a subject that alot of people feel strongly about and it’s more than possible that some instructors may let there personal opinion of a particular religion or religions in general come out in class. I wouldn’t want a hardcore Christian teaching a Bible class or religion class, but I wouldn’t want an extremely contemptuous atheist teaching those classes either. I would want someone who is very moderate and tolerant in their beliefs (or lack thereof) teaching them.

• Danimal says:

Well said Jay.
      RAmen

• theFewtheProudtheMarinara says:

That would be my biggest fear if I were a student forced into that class; that if I didn’t agree with the teacher’s beliefs (highly likely!) I’d get a poor grade no matter how eloquently I argued my points.

3. Letsputasmileontatface says:

Are they teaching Koran and Bhagavad Gita too? Coz the same thing happened in Madarsas in Pakistan and Afghanistan, it was totally “academic”…….and considering that US is already more of a Christian State than even being close to secular, I seriously doubt that the youth receiving “academic” classes will be ideologically any different than those in pakistan’s terrorist camps (richer and more powerful, though). Not that any additional teaching is really needed, there are enough zealots in the western world as it is.

4. theFewtheProudtheMarinara says:

“”Secular schools can never be tolerated because such a school has no religious instruction and a general moral instruction without a religious foundation is built on air; consequently, all character training and religion must be derived from faith . . . We need believing people.” Adolph Hitler, April 26, 1933

5. hostgator says:

Thank you for the article. Can I share that article on my website? If you allow, please contact with me via my email address.

6. Shirl Northey says:

That appears to be fine however , i am still less than certain that I prefer it. Nonetheless will look far more into it and decide for myself! :)

7. tjwan1 says:

Whenever someone refers to the Bible as a “book,” it raises immediate red flags. Too easily the perception of “book” can lead the reader to think of the contents as a single story, with a beginning, middle and end. The dictionary, as an earlier posted mentioned, is actually an anthology of words, assembled alphabetically. In the same way, the Bible is an anthology of many types of Judeo-Christian writings (not even literature), including the genres of history, legal writing, songs, prophecy, love poems, biographies, and letters. Thinking of the Bible as a “library” or an “anthology” helps the reader remember that the Bible is not a story from beginning to end, and would be as strange to read cover-to-cover as would reading the dictionary. There were choices in the history of creating the Bible-library that excluded some books from its shelves, and preferred others. Even the Christian “bibles” differ in books included (Catholics include the Apocrypha, for instance), as well as the translations of different passages, which can definitely shape the reader’s experience. Which “book” will the course be using? Just to decide that answer could spawn years of debate, if and when the legislation passes. If the decision is a simple one, then the hidden agenda of the legislation will be unveiled.

8. Katelyn Mccleveland says:

Superb article. That was clear and concise.