Kentucky considering “academic” bible classes

Published February 13th, 2011 by Bobby Henderson

sen.bowen

The Kentucky Post reports the state of Kentucky is considering allowing the Christian Bible to be studied in school.

From state Senator Bowen:

No doubt about it, the most important book ever written and obviously, it’s had so much influence on our society and all of Western civilization.

Senator Bowen sponsored the Bill “which would direct the state Department of Education to develop a course curriculum around the Bible, which local school councils could then approve for teaching in their schools.”

The bill was approved by Kentucky’s State Senate and now goes to the House for review.

Ostensibly the purpose of the legislation is to ensure that the teaching of the bible is taught in the context of literature or as a part of culture.  That would be nice.  Of course this blurring of the separation of church and state will cause overreaching by those who feel its their Duty to God as it has in the past.

I would love to see a comparative religion course made mandatory in public schools across the US.

94 Responses to “Kentucky considering “academic” bible classes”

1 2 3 6
  1. StJason says:

You and I both know this will slip from a “Bible literature” class into a ‘Bible Study’ class.

First the Arc Encounter, now this. They’ll be renaming Kentucky to Jesustucky before long.

• Kant says:

Is that a Typo? When changing from Kent to Jesus shouldn’t they rename it from Kent-ucky to Jesus-ucky.

2. Ohio Pirate says:

I enjoy Bobby’s idea of comparative religion class. I took one in college and enjoyed the information a great deal. It was not skewed one way or the other and the professor took great effort to ensure that it was that way. Unfortunately, I do not think all of the teachers in the Kentucky school system will be as responsible. Additionally, I put in the college course reflections portion that the FSM was neglected and I was quite offended. Ha ha!
    RAmen!

• Spammyboy says:

In the UK, there is a class known variously as Religious Education, Religious Studies, Religion and philosophy etc. which is usually unbiased and helps show a broad range of religious and secular views on a lot of issues, although perhaps more time is given to the Abrahamic religions than I would like. It is also compulsory until the age of 16. Is there a similar course available in the USA, and if not, why the hell not?

• wulff says:

In the US there are classes in comparative religion, but they are usually only available at the college level, and are never mandatory. The reason for this is that the vocal religious population absolutely DO NOT want the youth of this country to even know that other POV’s exist.

3. Pastor De Grano Duro says:

Personally I think the English Dictionary is the most important book ever written.

• Wesley says:

No it’s the gospels of the FSM!

4. Bosn_C_Otter says:

If I was a Kentuckian if even one pencil is bought with Kentucky tax payer money for this class I would cry foul. Many believe this nation is a Christian nation, but I have walked the streets of nations where state supported religion rules, and I will tell you this, if level headed Americans dont start taking action soon, you will see our civil liberties vanish one by one. And in a very short time the prayer towers will arise.

And instead of being pretend Pirates we will have to be real ones, because this web site will be against the law.

RAmen!

5. Kevin says:

I hope they teach the controversy. There are other views on the Bible that I believe should get equal billing. How about a quarter on this can’t be true if this thing is true.

6. Your Friendly Neighboorhood Dentonista says:

I LOVE the idea of a Comparative Religions elective for public schools, so we can all see how very, very similar our religions are vs. how different.
    I might even be interested in a really rigorous study of the literature of the bible, taught by an educated scholar – references to the bible show up everywhere: in literature; in law; in social conventions. However, I fear such a class in already cash strapped ISDs in Kentucky will likely be taught by one of the coaches, and with a bias to supporting his ‘right and Christian’ beliefs to the FCAers, Young Lifers, and various other already indoctrinated – and unquestioning – youth.
    Ugh. It just makes my brain hurt.

7. Roderick, Rutgers Pastafarians Purser says:

A religion class would be really nice. I have not seen it in grammar school other than my Catholic private school, so at least this public school implementation gives it a chance to be more of a literary than indoctrinary approach.

8. Yui says:

I think this is a great idea. The more kids that are familiar with the weird, scary, immoral, horrid and often contradictory crap that’s in that book, the fewer will maintain their religious indoctrination in adulthood.

Press on, fundy dipwits! We’ll strangle the last king with the last priest’s entrails yet!

1 2 3 6