Kentucky considering “academic” bible classes

Published February 13th, 2011 by Bobby Henderson

sen.bowen

The Kentucky Post reports the state of Kentucky is considering allowing the Christian Bible to be studied in school.

From state Senator Bowen:

No doubt about it, the most important book ever written and obviously, it’s had so much influence on our society and all of Western civilization.

Senator Bowen sponsored the Bill “which would direct the state Department of Education to develop a course curriculum around the Bible, which local school councils could then approve for teaching in their schools.”

The bill was approved by Kentucky’s State Senate and now goes to the House for review.

Ostensibly the purpose of the legislation is to ensure that the teaching of the bible is taught in the context of literature or as a part of culture.  That would be nice.  Of course this blurring of the separation of church and state will cause overreaching by those who feel its their Duty to God as it has in the past.

I would love to see a comparative religion course made mandatory in public schools across the US.

94 Responses to “Kentucky considering “academic” bible classes”

1 4 5 6
  1. Nancee Hebrank says:

It¡¦s really a nice and useful piece of information. I¡¦m glad that you shared this helpful information with us. Please keep us up to date like this. Thanks for sharing.

2. kikito says:

I hope they pass the bill to teach “Academic IKEA Catalog classes” soon.

3. naygel says:

the flying spaggety monster is freak,kinda shit!!!! who belives there are mad! crazy!yuck!!

• theFewtheProudtheMarinara says:

5:54 AM, naygel? I’ll bet your parents don’t know you’re on the internet – they probably gave you a bowl of sugary cereal, set you in front of a cartoon show, and went back to bed.

• Keith says:

At a guess I’d say that English is not your first language.

• stylusmobilus says:

Either that or naygel seriously fails at structured English.

4. Doc says:

I originated a Religious Literature course in a Chicago suburban school years ago and I’m sure I was chosen because I’m a skeptic and the department chairman knew I’d have no evangelical ax to grind.

Don’t worry too much about the Kentucky law. In order to be constitutional it will have to be amended to include the texts of other faiths – although this may take a lawsuit. If I interpret the tenor of most comments, such a course would be welcomed as an opportunity for comparative/questioning studies.

5. m610 says:

I’d think the last thing a fundie-inspired law would include is discussion of other religions, not so much because it gives the others free air time, but because once you start to learn about other religion’s differences AND similarities, one can’t help but wonder if one’s inherited religion is really all that special.

And if the class did teach the Bible as literature, it surely would delve into it’s authorship, right? You know, the four literary styles of the old testament and the “Q” of the new testament. Probably not, but if it did, then Karen Armstrong’s book “The History of God” would be a good textbook.

For me, I was a young fan of the Greek myths, having read a reread them in a book sitting on our 2nd grade classrooms book shelves. By the time my parents got around to Christianizing me I already had a set of stories to compare the Bible stories to, and as a result, for me, the Bible stories were just more stories, like the Hercules and Prometheus stories, which I still like better.

• Keith says:

I agree. It is always better to enjoy mythology when it isn’t rammed down your throat and presented as fact.

6. Laura says:

My kids go to a fairly progressive public school here in Raleigh NC. They teach about the world religions for several weeks in their social studies class in 7th grade. They spent about a week on Christianity and maybe an hour on all the rest. :( Good luck Kentucky.

7. cadbrowser says:

I wonder which bible they will use. There are several variants, with books added; depending on which flavor of the Abrahamic religion they use. Also will the Jewish Tanakh and the Islamic Torah be included?

Also, which books will they included? I mean if it really an open minded class then they should include ALL of them…right?

1 4 5 6