861979 Views

I can appreciate a good joke

Published February 15th, 2011 by Bobby Henderson

I can appreciate a good joke as much as any other guy.  But there’s a difference between making a joke and insulting other people.  When you begin to bring in specific religious practice or condemnations for not doing as the religion "requires," that becomes an insult.  Think of it this way: your website is good, but what’s the point of your occasional advertisement on the bottom with a picture of the religious book of FSM saying "Save Your Heathen Soul"?  It directly says to others that if you don’t believe what we tell you, you’re wrong and going to hell.  Yes, I’m a Christian, no I don’t believe most of the things in the church’s past were okay.  I simply choose to believe that there is a God, and if anybody has any questions about my faith, I’ll be happy to answer and guide them if that’s what they want.  If they believe otherwise, I’ll allow them to stay that way, because there’s nothing I can do to force their belief.  All I’m really saying is, think about what purpose each thing you say serves, and whether it’s taking it a step too far.
~DJN

The point of our church is not to offend, but understand it is bound to happen.  Most of us in the Church of FSM are not anti-religion, and we have many Pastafarians who are active members of mainstream religions.  Part of what we’re doing here is questioning ideas considered rude to question.  Or, knocking down religion a peg – however you want to look at it.  We think it’s a dangerous situation for institutions and ideas to be above scrutiny.

At the risk of spoiling the “Save Your Heathen Soul” joke, I’ll explain it.  You see, Christians often threaten nonbelievers with THEIR hell-place for various sins or sinful lifestyles – either explicitly, or indirectly, or in a judging veiled-friendliness sort of way.  But nonbelievers DON’T BELIEVE IN YOUR HELL.  Aside from the fact that we find it offensive the idea that we need a rulebook to define our morality, it is a strange proposition to be invited to believe in scripture in order to be saved from a consequence of it.  The “Save Your Heathen Soul” joke is a nod to other nonbelievers who have experienced this phenomenon.

But, DJN, I honestly like Christians, the majority of those I know – and my experience in running the Church of the FSM has only increased my opinion of Christians (really).  I believe that the majority of Christians are thoughtful and open-minded, and that most are members of churches partly because of a belief in God, and partly because of the social benefits and community that being part of a church allows.  I get a ton of emails from thoughtful Christians who understand what we’re doing here at the Church of FSM – people like you who don’t approve of the abuses perpetrated in the Name of God.

So, understand that around here there is an effort not to offend people, but at the same take a hard look at the strange business of religion. And in this way we give Glory to The Almighty Flying Spaghetti Monster, the one and only True God, who someday I hope Touches you with His Noodly Appendage so that you may know His Loving Embrace.

-bobby

343 Responses to “I can appreciate a good joke”

1 3 4 5 6 7 11
  1. Lanelle Utz says:

Thanks a lot for your energy to have had these things together on this blog site. Janet and I very much loved your input through the articles in certain things. I am aware that you have quite a few demands with your schedule and so the fact that you actually took equally as much time just like you did to help people really like us via this article is even highly treasured.

2. Anna says:

Amen, Brother! I agree completely with your point and i hope these unfortunate people will come to their senses. God Bless you and your Day!

3. Beatrice says:

Dear DJN,
    I can appreciate a good joke as much as any other guy. But there’s a difference between making a joke and insulting other people. When you begin to bring in specific religious practice or condemnations for not doing as the religion “requires,” that becomes an insult. Think of it this way: your website is good, but what’s the point of your occasional advertisement on the bottom with a picture of the religious Bible of God saying “Save Your Heathen Soul”? It directly says to others that if you don’t believe what we tell you, you’re wrong and going to hell. Yes, I’m a Pastafarian, no I don’t believe most of the things in the pirates’ past were okay. I simply choose to believe that there is a Flying Spaghetti Monster, and if anybody has any questions about my faith, I’ll be happy to answer and guide them if that’s what they want. If they believe otherwise, I’ll allow them to stay that way, because there’s nothing I can do to force their belief. All I’m really saying is, think about what purpose each thing you say serves, and whether it’s taking it a step too far.
    Beatrice.

• Ferenst Anrtoplogist says:

Dear Beatrice,

We Ferenst Anrtoplogists try not to offend anyone, but all we get in return is condemnation and criticism. We have been accused of missing the “fucking piont” again and again. You offered to answer and guide us, so please tell us how we can improve our image.

I trust I haven’t taken this a step too far?

Sincerely,
      Ferenst Anrtoplogist, Professor of Anrtoplogy

• saintwaitress says:

I see what you did there.

• tokerj says:

Ah, the veritable “no u” argument. When all else fails…

4. Believe in Yourself says:

Dear DJN,

How is it that Christianitys dismisal and denial of the scientific community, and its thousands of bodies of evidence which contradict Christian creationism theory, is not considered insulting? Your “religion” has proven to be the greatest perpetrator of insults in it’s illustrious history.

• tokerj says:

“Christianitys dismisal and denial of the scientific community”

Wow, that’s quite the claim there. I assume what you meant is that Literal Creationists (not “Christianity”) dismiss specific aspects of scientific theories/findings such as evolution and geological dating (not “the scientific community”). In case you aren’t aware, there are many Christian scientists and science-supporting Christians, including those who do not reject evolution.

“Your “religion” has proven to be the greatest perpetrator of insults in it’s illustrious history.”

No it hasn’t, except by your own definition of what constitutes “the greatest perpetrator of insults”, which is irrelevant to reasonable discourse here anyway.

5. Bea says:

Again another post filled with contradictions and double standards. Christians make it clear that if you are a nonbeliever you will burn in hell. Christians take it way way way too far saying that being homosexual is a sin and oppressing homosexuals by using your religion as a political tool to deny homosexuals the basic right to marry who they want also Christians have taken it way way way too far with their anti-abortion bs. Give me a break, you are picking and choosing what you want to believe in Christianity because logically you know it is bs but you need to be apart of something, even if that means supporting oppression, wars, prejudice, etc. Think about what you are supporting and tell me if you can still be so proud of yourself.

6. tokerj says:

Hm…

“Christians take it way way way too far saying that being homosexual is a sin”

No, a great many don’t, and the Bible never says this either (I’m referring to the state of being homosexual, specifically).

Regurgitating trite left-wing rhetoric, I see. How is it a political tool? *Certainly* no more so than the gay marriage lobby, at any rate. And since when is marriage a “basic right”? And why should it be? Food is a “basic right”. Shelter is a “basic right”. Education is a “basic right”. Marriage is a religious and social construct which simply happens to be popular in our culture at the moment.

“Christians have taken it way way way too far with their anti-abortion bs”

Standing against the arbitrary and often legally sanctioned destruction of humans in the early stages of development is “bs”? (of course I use loaded language here, to make a point) Don’t be so closed-minded. Do you honestly realize how despicable and horrendous the practise of abortion is to many people? Based on not only religious, but also biological and humanist values.

“you are picking and choosing what you want to believe in Christianity”

Huh? All he said was that he believes in God.

“because logically you know it is bs”

Whatever makes you feel better about your argument and standpoint, substantiated or not.

“but you need to be apart of something, even if that means supporting oppression, wars, prejudice, etc.”

Either you know something about the poster the rest of us don’t, or you paint a picture in your head, pigeon-holing your opponent until you are satisfied. How do religious beliefs necessitate blindly supporting oppression, wars, prejudice, etc? (Pro tip: They don’t). And did you miss the part where he acknowledges and disapproves of much committed in history in the name of religion?

“Think about what you are supporting and tell me if you can still be so proud of yourself.”

Frankly you really have no idea what the poster supports aside from his/her personal belief in God. I recommend a class in critical thinking and argumentation.

• Drained and Washed Clean says:

No, a great many don’t,
      **The ones who make the laws do, and that is a problem.
      and the Bible never says this either (I’m referring to the state of being homosexual, specifically). “oppressing homosexuals by using your religion as a political tool to deny homosexuals the basic right to marry”
      ** They use plenty of verses to support their view. 1 Cor. 6:9 Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived! The sexually immoral, idolaters, adulterers, passive homosexual partners, practicing homosexuals, Leviticus 18:22 You must not have sexual intercourse with a male as one has sexual intercourse with a woman; it is a detestable act. Romans 1:26 For this reason God gave them over to dishonorable passions. For their women exchanged the natural sexual relations for unnatural ones, 27 and likewise the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed in their passions for one another. Men committed shameless acts with men and received in themselves the due penalty for their error. So they are using their religion as a tool to deny homosexuals the ability to have the same benefits as a married couple.
      Regurgitating trite left-wing rhetoric, I see.
      ** Running your mouth while having no idea what you are talking about I see.
      How is it a political tool?
      ** How many people who are gay are elected to office in order to effect any change.
      *Certainly* no more so than the gay marriage lobby, at any rate.
      ** Or the xtian lobby. Oh, and the fact that xtianity is an unspoken requirement to get elected into office.
      And since when is marriage a “basic right”?
      ** Marriage is not a basic right. It is a religious idea. What they want is the same rights and privileges associated with being married. Passage of property, the ability to adopt children equally as parents, tax benefits, etc. And why should they be denied that because people think they are immoral. In all reality marriage is only a contract. If they want to keep marriage a religious thing, then they should be allowed a civil union which offers them the same rights. Their own contract.

“you are picking and choosing what you want to believe in Christianity”

Huh? All he said was that he believes in God.

“because logically you know it is bs”

• Drained and Washed Clean says:

Forgot to delete the bottom part… Apologies!

• theFewtheProudtheMarinara says:

Marriage is a basic right in that there are secular advantages: hospital visitation rights, insurance coverage, guardianship of minors, etc. I was not married in any church, but needed the legality of the union with my wife for many financial and legal reasons. What give the state the right to determine how you should live your life?

Defending personal rights is limited to the left wing? Damn, I’m proud to be a liberal. You’d think the Libertarians would espouse this, too.

7. Travis says:

I don’t get why people think FSMism is trying to mock them. I think they’re jelous that their god isn’t delicious like our god. Unless they’re canibals. Then maybe so.

8. Holly says:

Lol, Antipastifarian. Thats classic. I’m one of them!!!!
    Believe as you like, God loves you and will always accept you when you’re ready.
    I belong to Christ

Holly
    Christian
    Antipastifarian (lol)

• TiltedHorizon says:

You don’t believe in FSM? He believes you.

Ramen.

I belong to the open seas, may his noodliness be praised.

• Drained and Washed Clean says:

Believe as we like as long as we eventually believe like you do… Interesting that you assume that we haven’t been down that road. I have, and it was the darkest road I ever walked. I like things much better now. You, however, can keep belonging to your zombie friend. Just leave us out of it.

1 3 4 5 6 7 11