Grassley’s megachurch probe was bullshit

Published January 10th, 2011 by Bobby Henderson

grassley

Unbelievable.

Senator Grassley of Iowa’s Evangelical Finance Probe was released this week.  A lot of us were hoping these megachurches would be scrutinized for their most flagrant abuses: the obscene salaries, the private jets and luxury cars, the politicking.  Most of us are shocked these sham broadcast ministries can exist as tax exempt non-profit organizations in the first place, but it is stunning that because they’re religious institutions they don’t have to file detailed financial disclosure reports to the IRS.  So we were glad that Grassley and team were investigating.

Well now the report is out and we know what they were doing the last three years and investigating was not it.  Out of the six broadcast ministries looked at only two cooperated, and *zero* subpoenas were issued by investigators.  What a scam.

Grassley offered this statement, which I have been trying to parse for a while but I’m having trouble because it’s such bullshit:

The staff review sets the stage for a comprehensive discussion among churches and religious organizations.  I look forward to helping facilitate this dialogue and fostering an environment for self-reform within the community.

Translation: we will ask churches to be good.  Hey if that doesn’t work, perhaps another three year investigation in which nothing is investigated is in order.  You sir, Senator Grassley, are a fraud.

Here are some depressing articles about this mess:

CNN’s take

Huffington Post

64 Responses to “Grassley’s megachurch probe was bullshit”

1. redagamea says:

very beautiful, thank you

2. Vance Petruccelli says:

Somebody necessarily lend a hand to make severely articles I’d state.That is the first time I frequented your website page and thus far? I amazed with the analysis you made to create this particular post incredible.Great task!

3. Kyung Seltz says:

Hiya. Same cool net site!! Guy .. Excellent .. Amazing .. I will bookmark your blog and take the feeds additionally…I’m happy to find thus much cooperative facts here in the post. Merit for sharing.

• Keith says:

I’m going to be labelled as a racist but here goes… Your name sounds like a stomach settler for martial artists.

• TheFewtheProudtheMarinara says:

Not to worry, Keith. I’m a martial artist and didn’t take offense!

• Keith says:

OK, thanks. feel free to make comments about Anglo-Australian-Welsh fencers. :-)

4. Captain Birdseye says:

Enough of Marital Arts! I would like to probe Ken Ham’s brain, and do so hope he donates it to science; with a neural network replica (no ethics problems) made of it while living, for experimental purposes.
    Am off to warmer waters; will anchor and plunder Mission Beach for a month.
    There is a god! Aaaaarghhhhh…

5. used lexus cars says:

4Church really makes good contribution because they break everyone pace of running in life and call them to God. so its something very noble that they are doing for mankind. This flying sphagatti is a nice contribution and market segmentation adapted by company. Good wishes to them.

• Rev. Linguine says:

Uhh, thank you.

6. Celebrity Gossip says:

Unomatch is the easiest and most popular social network to keep in close contact with your friends/family and to socialize with new people world wide.

7. Codeine withdrawal restless legs says:

Тhanks ffor sharing your info. I really appreciatе your efforts and
    I will be waiting for үpur next write uppѕ thank you once again.

8. Rasputin says:

Is there any chance of the FSM getting His own broadcast ministry show? If you can’t get it broadcast on TV, maybe somebody could make a prototype and put it on YouTube.

• Crabbie1 says:

That, Sir, is a BRILLIANT idea!
      Think of all the money you could raise for Kiva and all the lost, tormented souls you could save!
      All hail his noodle goodness!