192745 Views

I hope you pay for your actions

Published January 17th, 2011 by Bobby Henderson

Wow, what a scam you have used to set yourself up with money and Im guessing fame and all the stupid bimbos and other trappings it all brings. Just remember, since there is no god or religion there is nothing wrong with killing some low life, "educated" or not (or any other act). As an exemplar of life without a God, there is nothing keeping people from acting out against others in any capacity other than the relatively obscure chance of being caught. I personally believe in God. I like to think that I am held responsible at a higher level than what man does. I do like to think there’s more. I hope you pay for your actions sooner or later in life. I’m sure you will at some point. A Morally concerned man.

-Joseph

I’ve become conflicted about posting hate-mails. I think there are assumptions that the Church of FSM receives hundreds of hate-mails and that most of the mail from Christians is negative. Neither of those things are true. Hate-mails are not common, and the majority of Christians who email understand our purpose is not to mock them. Most Christians who I’ve talked to see problems with organized religion and the abuses and fraud that get tied up with faith and power.

But what I hear over and over is that they feel turned away by our reactions to hate mail. They feel too many of us believe they are stupid for being religious. Even if a few of us do, I hope the Church of FSM never turns into a venue for those opinions. That’s not what this is about.

For the most part I think we do a good job of turning down the volume on our most extreme voices, and I think that’s a healthy thing. Just as Christians have a few members who will be riled enough to write nasty letters to us, there will be a few of us riled enough to respond in kind. But the majority of us are reasonable and rational.

I hope we find a way to encourage more rational religious to venture over here, and that we find a way to keep them. The Church of FSM is open to all – and that includes those who believe in another God besides the Almighty FSM.
-Bobby

382 Responses to “I hope you pay for your actions”

1. Noodlity says:

“A Morally concerned man”? Try “spineless bigot” , mistaking fear of retribution for actual morality. And here I was, hoping that the latest hate-mail will provide more than cannon fodder. Ah, well…

You know what the funny thing is? Were your god real, I’d still be fully willing to oppose him, in all his mass-murdering glory, for all of eternity. For you see, while I’m alive, all evidence points that sprituallity has little or no benefits to my earthly life. And as for the threat of Hell, it only works on the living – since I’d be dead, therefore having nothing to lose, all threats of pain and torture become void. As in, nil.

Sorry mate, but there’ll be no paying to your loan shark of a god anytime soon. Not even over my dead body.

RA- to the -men

* * *

Was that too over the top? I can never tell for myself.

• The Reverand Toni Rigatoni says:

Nope!

• easykial says:

I dont think so, you address your concerns without being a dick (a dick would shortsightedly challenge morality on the grounds of “i think” or “sounds a lot like.) and I appreciate that you expressed your opinion so clearly. I share it, but without direct bias towards you.
      -may the tomato sauce and delicious noodles be indulged by all, not merely all who believe.

2. TiltedHorizon says:

@Joseph who states:

“as an exemplar of life without a God, there is nothing keeping people from acting out against others in any capacity other than the relatively obscure chance of being caught.”

So without god people would be ‘acting out’ (i.e. evil) to each other? Ok. Considering how many people ‘act out’ in god’s name it’s amazing you can draw that conclusion. I can give you current examples of such ‘acting out’ but what’s the point, you would simply rationalize such things as actions done by quasi or ‘not real’ Christians. Truth be told, without god, all morally reprehensible actions would have to be owned by the perpetrator. No more clearing one’s own conscience or shirking blame since there would be no gods to bless and excuse such actions. No more gods (plural as Christianity is one of many) means Fred Phelps, the KKK, and Osama Bin Laden would lose their standing and have to ‘own’ their well deserved title of bigots and nut-jobs , it would mean the end religious zealotry, less social division, and no more ‘god’ excuses. Best of all, it would mean that all people who seem to take pleasure in sentencing others to hell (i.e. ‘I hope you pay for your actions’) would have to look in the mirror and own their well deserved title of sanctimonious a-holes.

Ramen

• Drained and Washed Clean says:

I’m just curious how he explains the prison population being mostly people who believe in a god (86ish%), and the atheist percentage only being .2. Probably because the people who believe in god think they can be forgiven for whatever they do, so why worry about it?

• Bigslicka says:

Wow! I hope that these percentages are correct. Cuz if they are, that’s frakin’ awsome. Can you give your source for those numbers? I would love to read more.

• opiesysco says:

The Federal Bureau of Prisons does have statistics on religious
          affiliations of inmates. The following are total number of
          inmates per religion category:

Hindu 119 0.159%
          Santeria 117 0.157%
          Sikh 14 0.019%
          Bahai 9 0.012%
          Krishna 7 0.009%
          —————————- ——–
          Total Known Responses 74731 100.001% (rounding to 3 digits does this)

Unknown/No Answer 18381
          —————————-
          Total Convicted 93112 80.259% (74731) prisoners’ religion is known.

Held in Custody 3856 (not surveyed due to temporary custody)
          —————————-
          Total In Prisons 96968

• Keith says:

That’s odd. I thought there would be a greater number of Scientologists. After all, their religion was founded on modern day fraud practices.

• gordon_uk says:

I was quite intrigued by this so thought I would do the same for the UK and managed to workout that Christians are twice as likely to be in prison then someone with ‘No-religion’ in the UK. The percent of Christians in prison compared to their overall population is 0.16% v no-religion on 0.09%, though they do fair better then the ‘other religion’. If you group all the religious together there is 0.19% of them are in prison v our lowly 0.09%.

Hopefully this will put end theists continual assumption that they are the moral guardians of the nation.

Total UK population 61,792,000
          • Non-religion = 51.3% (31,699,296)
          • Christian = 43.3% (26,755,936)
          • Other Religion = 5.4% (3,336,768)

Total prison population 85,494
          • Non-religion = 34.7% (29,666)
          • Christian = 48.8% (41,721)
          • Other Religion = 16.5% (14,107)

Proportion of an individual group’s prison population against the groups overall population
          • Non-religion = 0.09%
          • Christian = 0.18%
          • Other Religion = 0.42%

Sources:
          Percent of religious in the UK from the British social attitudes survey (http://www.humanism.org.uk/campaigns/religion-and-belief-surveys-statistics/british-social-attitudes-survey)
          Percent of religious in prison from the Ministry of Justice report for parliament (http://www.parliament.uk/briefingpapers/commons/lib/research/briefings/snsg-04334.pdf)

• TiltedHorizon says:

Simple. He would likey claim them ‘godless’ when whatever crime was perpetrated then converted while in prison thus skewing the numbers. When logic fails; deny, deny, deny.

• easykial says:

I’m all for definitive arguments, but the percentages mean nothing against total populations. please let me explain… If there are 20 catholics and 14 atheists in the world, and half of each population is imprisoned (for whatever reasons) that means that there are more catholics imprisoned than atheists, BUT there are still half of each technically. what i am saying is that, comparing those prison numbers to actual populations is a much better argument because I think that christians outnumber us
        and please dont vote this down because it isn’t on the bandwagon, I just feel the argument would be stronger if it isn’t able to be shown with flaws (if i can realize this, surely actual people who just want to scream “NUH-UH” can)

• Drained and Washed Clean says:

If you look at the xian population in the country their percentage in prison matches their percentage of the population (approximately). Atheists make up approx. 10-15%(ish?) of the population. Our prison percentage should be much higher, but it isn’t.

• easykial says:

YES! that is exactly what i like to hear! thank you for understanding my position and making the argument like… way better!

3. Drained and Washed Clean says:

Wow, what a scam you have used to set yourself up with money
    ** Just like any church
    ** Just like any church
    Just remember, since there is no god or religion there is nothing wrong with killing some low life, “educated” or not (or any other act).
    ** The church obviously agrees with you considering they sentence people to death daily by blocking laws to allow scientific research and telling people to not use contraceptives.
    ** Other than we want to live in a society. “Morality” does not come from the church (obviously – they kill people), it comes from evolution.
    I personally believe in God.
    ** Congratulations?
    ** Or you are just a self righteous bigot… I am going with mine.
    I do like to think there’s more.
    ** This is it dude. Just because you are afraid to die doesn’t mean the rest of us need fairy tales to sleep at night.
    I hope you pay for your actions sooner or later in life.
    ** Karma sucks, and you are the one being an asshole, dude. You came here, we didn’t come to you.
    I’m sure you will at some point.
    ** As sure you are of an invisible bearded sky zombie on a stick? I think we are in the clear…
    A Morally concerned man.
    ** I’m confused how one who is supposedly moral is one who is so judgmental and breaking one of your zombie’s teachings (and just plain stupid for not understanding what is going on here in the first place…).

-Joseph
    ** Dickhead

• Brian Fritzen says:

“invisible bearded sky zombie on a stick?”

On a stick!?!! Bwahahahahahahahaha! That is priceless. I have use the invisible sky zombie for years, but “on a stick!” That is CLASSIC!!! Thanks for the laugh. I am truly, truly ROFLMAO!!!!!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Again, thank you. I am in tears!

4. jill says:

Wait, what?!!!! Flying Spaghetti Monster is *NOT* a God????? I’m confused. O_o

But mostly just by the poor sentence construction here: “I like to think that I am held responsible at a higher level than what man does. ”

Perhaps I could offer some constructive criticism (a “higher level”, if you will):

“I like to think that I am held responsible at the level of a righteous diety, rather than as a mere dirty mortal.”

Our FSM always holds us to the highest, zestiest standards.

5. JLM says:

LOL the Crusades.

• easykial says:

LOL the inquisition

• Russ says:

LOL Jihad

6. NoodleBeard says:

Is it just me or is this scurvy bastard a hypocrite? Ta be honest Religion has caused more and bloodier wars in the history of history itself. Some ta be sayin that Hitler be a killin in the name of atheism… But that a crock of whale blubber… he used a religious faction as a stepping stone to rally a population with hate ta be achieven his twisted ideal for a country and fer power. But I be believen that no atheist or agnostic kills in the name of somethin not existing… I mean what personage in history has ever cried, “For the Glory and Honer of… um… nothing!”. So, I say unto my brethren, pity this fool for he be not knowin of what he be sayin.
    What I be sayin is that people will hurt people for money and power, be steppin on their backs. But the fervor of he religious can be undaunting and can be mindlessly cruel for what one thinks is righteous in the name of a higher power.
    -Ramen

• Np237 says:

Right. There is one counter-example though: Stalin. This one didn’t need a god to kill 50 million people.

• The Reverand Toni Rigatoni says:

Remember-he didn’t need atheism either.

• Duke Airanda Tension says:

Also, Hitler wrote that he would remain a catholic for all his life (and that he had no regard for religion) and Stalin was trained in a Russian orthodox seminary.

• gordon_uk says:

and Hitler only had one ball!

• tekHedd says:

Stalin, the canonical atheist bad guy example. a) he was paranoid, b) the problem here is dogma, not actually religion as such.

FSM’s non-dogmatic dogma gives it clear advantages over other ideologies, religious or otherwise.

• Noodlity says:

As has been pointed out, Stalin was schooled in a seminary. I’d also add that he personally reinstated the church in the USSR, to help boost wartime morale. So if he did have atheistic convictions, he certainly didn’t act on them.

It’s bad enough that this is a Godwin-style fallacy, but could people at least think of a dictator that really was an atheist?

• Uncommoner says:

v
          v
          v
          @noodlity
          It would be NEARLY impossible to think of a dictator that really was an atheist, because of the absence of accountability. If someone were to take responsibility for their actions, logically there’s no such thing as “I’m doing this in the name of atheism.” With that said, it would be incorrect to say that reason is the reason. The question craftily is about origin of action, as opposed to allegience of faith, or lack therof; so to answer shortly, no.

• Insightful Ape says:

I get it now. That is why Stalin’s hero was Ivan the terrible. A devout orthodox christian.

7. jenergy says:

I would like to add to the evolutionary argument for morality, a very basic logical argument: I don’t harm others because I don’t want to be harmed, and I just sort of assume I’m not alone on that. This is really not a big leap of logic. If I had to choose between taking an elevator with people who think this way and people who claim to not harm others because their sky daddy tells them not to… I’ll go with the thinkers, thanks.

• Uncommoner says:

Then obviously, this isn’t an input that is based on morality, don’t you think?

• plumberbob says:

@ Uncommoner ,

I’ve been reading your comments from the bottom up. Please engage my comment to you about philosophy a couple of comments down.

We need to start a real philosophical discussion beginning with philosophically sound definitions of the terms you’re using. A discussion using undefined terminology and without rigorous citation of sources leads to confusion and chaos, as your prior reading of formal philosophy has obviously taught.

RAmen

8. lilwench says:

“As an exemplar of life without a God, there is nothing keeping people from acting out against others in any capacity other than the relatively obscure chance of being caught.”

So the only thing standing between you committing rape, murder, etc., is your belief in some specious deity? I think that is a sign of mental illness on your part. Perhaps instead of church, you should consider spending some time with a therapist; there are also many pharmaceutical options available to alleviate your symptoms.

R’Amen.

• Uncommoner says:

If he were talking about God, at this point, he doesn’t mean God the creator, specifically, who you refer to. He refers to the Holy Spirit, and free will, who he believes is created by God. If it’s his choice not to commit heinous crimes, then he feels, it is his God-granted ability to freely decide. So what of his allegience, if it keeps him from killing or assaulting?

• Drained and Washed Clean says:

Free will is a logical impossibility. You have a god who knows everything. Otherwise, how could it be a perfect being? So god knows what I will do before I do it (it is omniscient). If it knows what I will do and it can’t be wrong (again, how could it be a perfect being otherwise, and why would you bother to worship something less than perfect?). If it can’t be wrong then I have no choice but to make the choice it will know that I make. That is not free will. Something else has determined what choice I must make.

Anyway, moving to the point. There are plenty of people out there who are not in control of their facilities and commit heinous crimes even though they pray everyday to not do these bad things. They are sick. There is no fairy in the sky to fix it. That is just what it is. Some people do make the choice to do so, but once they ask their god for forgiveness then it is done. They can still get into heaven. They really meant it! Most people don’t commit crimes because they are afraid of going to jail. Not because a god is watching them. If a god was then why wouldn’t it intervene to keep that person from killing? Oh wait! You are going to tell me free will, right? Refer to the argument above. Also, I would like to add that if god knows what you are going to do and can’t be wrong, then it can’t intervene. So, your omnibenevolent god has to allow people to kill other people. Are you seeing the issues with this?

And yes, I do have a problem with a person using a god to “keep them from killing or assaulting”. That person needs to seek counseling, and he/she should be put on medication and be in the care of a mental specialist. This person should not be sitting at home praying to not kill someone. A god in too many instances is used as a substitute for medical attention, and it is ridiculous. The person will not improve and will snap.