Nativity showdown

Published December 12th, 2010 by Bobby Henderson

There’s some drama over a Christian Nativity scene displayed on the lawn of a county courthouse in Indiana.  The Freedom From Religion Foundation demanded the removal of the display on first amendment violation concerns and now locals are fighting.  It’s the same fight every Christmas and I get tired of writing about it.

Now for the shock:

These Christmas fights bug me, honestly.   I am a supporter of the FFRF and of some of these secular and atheist organizations, but sometimes I am shaking my head and wondering what they are thinking.  You might get this scene removed but you do so much damage to our cause in the process.  You don’t think these perceptions matter?  Then what is this all about?  These Christmas fights make us look like such assholes, that’s all I’m saying. They are not reciting prayers in a state building or anything on that level.  A Nativity scene is barely religious, it’s like a cross necklace.   End of rant.

What do you guys think?

172 Responses to “Nativity showdown”

1 5 6 7
  1. Captain Birdseye says:

Excelsior, Lilith is implied in many places in KJV Genesis, such as 2:4-7 (note the plural), however, she was expunged from all translations because she fornicated with Lucifer and only the contradictions and plurals remain. You need to refer to the oldest Hebrew Genesis, where she was originally named Adam-ah.
    For her sins, and for leaving Adam, her lower half was made snake-like. My favourite line is when Eve is created and Adam says, “Here we go again”, clearly suggesting he was expecting a repeat of his problems with women.
    Further, the ‘talking snake’ is referred to as a ‘beast’ (and not a reptile) and is in fact Lilith, back on the scene at Adam’s request, stirring up problems for Eve and, possibly, wanting a threesome. Adam had five children, only two of them with Eve.
    Try Wikipedia for an outline, then follow some references to Hebrew scholars who provide translations of the original text.
    Fundies do not like discussing the hot Lilith. Properly, they should sleep holding a crucifix over their crotch to prevent Lilith getting to them.

• Captain Birdseye says:

Rasputin, ‘Adam wandered around in His horniness, trying out all of the beasts. God took pity on Adam and created Eve for Him, saying: “You’ve tried the rest, now try the best.” ‘ (Hebrew Genesis 2:20)
      It was God who first said it!

2. Rasputin says:

Lilith was the wife of Niles in the TV show, “Frazier”. Now I understand how apt that name was for the character. If you’ve seen the show, it was a brilliant piece of casting.

3. Captain Birdseye says:

Rasputin, I doubt if the name gets much use at all. She’s my favourite Biblical character; turned half snake for simply saying the secret word ‘Jehovah’….whoops! Hisssss..

• Apprentice Frederic says:

Cap’n B., Rasputin, Excelsior, thank you all for the *very* most interesting series of posts here in a long time! I myself was abjectly ignorant of the whole issue and enjoyed being enlightened. At the end of a round of Googling, I did come upon a long list of “Lilith” characters in IMDB, and the Lilith you mention (played by an absolutely, frighteningly gorgeous actress, Bebe Neuwirth) was there for sure. Arrrrrggghh! R’Amen!

• The Sauceror says:

Well, slither me timbers! What’s wrong with saying “Jehova”?

OH SHITSSSSSSSSSSsssss……

4. Rasputin says:

Yeah, I’m always learning cr*p from these blogs. I know more cr*p now than I ever did before. Maybe that’s what being wise is all about.

• Captain Birdseye says:

Rasputin, by knowing what is wise, one is able to savour un-wise choices with extra relish.

• The Sauceror says:

Dear Rasputin, all that craptep only means yarrr smarter than sh*t. Yarrrr no Donkey Ho’ Tea, but yarrr one of the smartest donkeys my borched mesom has ever run over. That’s fur sharrrrrrrrr.

• Captain Birdseye says:

Correction: I should have posted that as either Confucius or Confusius

• Captain Birdseye says:

Rasputin, My ship’s library has a few books from the Middle Ages. They contain pictures of devils and demons engaged in acts with humans that would make Ben Dover vomit. Many involve bizarre equipment. Apparently, it is perfectly acceptable to look at them, provided one gasps in horror and curses Satan, before turning the page. Needless to say, the corners of the parchment were worn away before I got them.
      I have this nagging idea that the people who drew such ‘illustrations’ were utter perverts, and not saving souls from Satan as they claim. Did your monastry contain such useful guidance?

5. Rasputin says:

All of this proves that Christians in those days were sickos.

• Rasputin says:

Did any of the pictures resemble Lrrr, Ruler of the planet Omicron Persei 8? Or the Robot Devil? Or the Super Devil who’s taller than the regular devil and rides a motorbike?

• Keith says:

Ancient aliens would have known of robots and the fiddle was used in the middle ages, so logically the Robot Devil may appear in some half forgotten form. (Incidentally, the fiddle was not known to the ancients. Nero played with something else when Rome burned: most likely a loan fraudster.)

• Captain Birdseye says:

There certainly are super out-of-this-world she-devils in my books, but, wheeled battering rams are the nearest things to motorbikes and no proud bike owner would allow the use they are putting them to. Actually, maybe they would.
      Nero had an Olympic gold medal for oratory; I believe he fiddled with his orations as Rome burned.

1 5 6 7