Kentucky’s Ark Encounter

Published December 7th, 2010 by Bobby Henderson

ArkEncounter

The New York Times reports:

the state of Kentucky The state has promised generous tax incentives to a group of entrepreneurs who plan to construct a full-size replica of Noah’s ark, load it with animals and actors, and make it the centerpiece of a Bible-based tourist attraction called Ark Encounter.

Since Gov. Steven L. Beshear announced the plan on Wednesday, some constitutional experts have raised alarms over whether government backing for an enterprise that promotes religion violates the First Amendment’s requirement of separation of church and state. But Mr. Beshear, a Democrat, said the arrangement posed no constitutional problem, and brushed off questions about his stand on creationism.

“The people of Kentucky didn’t elect me governor to debate religion,” he said at a news conference. “They elected me governor to create jobs.”

Gov Beshear, you can expect the Church of Flying Spaghetti Monster theme park submission soon.

140 Responses to “Kentucky’s Ark Encounter”

1. BigSexyPuppay says:

I hear they are building a “tower of babel” too. Seems like god didn’t care much for the original. I can’t imagine he’d be excited about an imitation.

• Jamie says:

I wonder how high it will be. They were trying to reach heaven, and our current skyscrapers don’t, so it should at least be taller than those.

2. FSM supporter says:

I don’t really see anything wrong with this. People will probably only go there if they’re religious and even if they’re not it’s not like they’re going to instantly become hypnotised into believing in God. That’s like saying I really believe Winnie the Pooh exists because he signed my autograph book when I went to Disney World. Even though I was 6 I still knew the characters weren’t real.

Also it’s a theme park meaning some rides may be scary, it might put people off religion.

• Brian Fritzen says:

That isn’t the point. The point is that they are using my tax dollars to promote their ideology. This is a problem. I don’t think they would approve of their tax dollars spent to spread atheism or FSMism or Islam or Hinduism, now would they?

• FSM supporter says:

Good point I didn’t really see it from that perspective

• Keith says:

Disney’s Winnie-the-Pooh is the Anti-Pooh. It’s an evil device used by Disney to extract as much money as possible from people and has nothing to do with the original. Given that they destroy just about anything beautiful they lay their hands on (there are exceptions) I hope they don’t make a film about the FSM.

3. VinZ says:

Wondering if the Kentucky Pastafarian Pirates could seize the Ark, fly the Pirates flag and turn it into a vessel to hand out candy to children. gotta check is Kentucky is landlocked or not, but i’m sure with a little help from a Noodly Appendage, it can sail the oceans!

4. plumberbob says:

@ VinZ,

We’d need a truly seaworthy pirate ship, and the ark, either original or re-fanticised, cannot be it:

RAmen

5. Keith says:

I’m just wondering whether they wouldl build the thing using:
    a) the correct wood
    b) wooden pegs and rope to join the planking together
    c) genuine bronze age shipbuilding techniques
    d) no metal or concrete frameworks to stop the thing collapsing (as it surely would if the above were used)

6. Marc says:

FSM theme park?

I think that’s Italy.

7. Magnaccio says:

I think Ricky Gervais says it best;

8. Cerack says:

Hey. pleasant site, don’t you would like to share hyperlinks?