When you have 3.6 Billion adherents

Published November 27th, 2010 by Bobby Henderson

When you have 3.6 Billion adherents to your faith, we can start talking about teaching your ideas in school. When you think you’re right or not the decision on whether or not to teach creationism in school should come from the majority and the fact is 82.3% of Americans are christian and therefore believe that the earth was created by God and only 11.6 are unaffiliated with a religion, of which only a fraction are atheist or agnostic. Take out the agnostics because if they’re really agnostic they won’t care what’s being taught in school, and we’re talking about a small number of really loud people that are trying to force their beliefs on the rest of the country. How messed up is that. I’m not going to force my beliefs on you. I think that’s why they did the whole separation of church and state thing, so that a certain belief system, Evolution included, would not be forced upon the population. So teach evolution, go ahead, I know for a fact that Brigham Young University and Brigham Young University Idaho, two christian schools teach evolution in their required classes, but if you’re going to teach one THEORY, and I emphasize theory not fact, then give credence to other theories that bare any social impact on our society. Like how about a theory that more than 50% of the world subscribes to? Anyway, peace be the journey, I give you credit for some funny stuff, like pirates and global warming, but don’t pretend to take nothing seriously if you actually do have very serious agenda.
–Jordan

All religions go through a phase of perceived fakeness. Funny you bring up BYU.  Mormonism got a lot of criticism for years because Joseph Smith used seer stones to find the location of their original scriptures and translate them from unknown languages.  Some might say that sounds like BS.  But with time and pressure it becomes a religion.  Not unlike the formation of rocks.  I am a scientist first, remember.

484 Responses to “When you have 3.6 Billion adherents”

1. antoine says:

Dude! 3.6 Billion? that is half of the population of the world. I guess we should teach hinduism and Islam in schools, too. you are a contradictory dumbfuck and the grace of the almighty Flying Spaghetti Monster keeps me from acts of violence toward you. It’s okay. i can let it go. I have a pot boiling on the stove as we speak. P.S. LOVE that double negative!!!!

2. Nkur says:

Very true, Antoine . Jordan, you are a very bad Bigoli (not at all related to Venetian Bigoli, which ,of course ,is pasta)

3. K.dot says:

Only 2 billion people are christian, another billion are Muslim and many people do not believe in a god. Around a billion are atheist. I’ve problem with comments but get it right.

4. Barkingspyder says:

Sorry, but to me it does not matter how may people adhere to a nonsensical idea. Even if I were the only one who did not “adhere” to it, it would still be wrong to teach non science as science. Real science starts from the point of trying find evidence for how the universe works. Creationism starts from the point of looking for evidence of something which is based on faith. In this country you are free to believe whatever you choose, because that is part of personal freedom. So long as you do not try to force your notion onto anyone else, you’re fine. Teaching creation science is indeed trying to force your ideas onto someone else. It is trying to give the same kind of credence to a religious fable as is given to the work of dedicated research for which there is actual evidence that is not contradictory. Expecting the notions that come from a religion that tells us that people can be turned into pillars of salt, or that you deity spoke to someone and told him to cut off his foreskin, or that there could be such a thing as virgin birth is beyond unscientific, it’s downright silly. The notion that an omnipotent being would be offended enough by human behavior that he would wipe out the entire population of the earth other than one guy’s family seems like your deity is just a touch petty. The sign of good mental health is in rejecting that which makes no sense in favor of that which does. No religion makes sense. They are all full of notions that might have been acceptable for people without telescopes or modern tolls of investigation, but to be sitting in front of a computer telling the world that you believe that the universe was (a) created and (b) done in seven days does not speak well for one’s sanity. Look at it another way, I think it is reasonable to reject the notion of communism, yet Christian values are the same with the only real difference being the substitution of the state for god. If communist values are evil then so are christian values. Any belief system which tells you you can’t rely on reason but must also include faith is to be rejected. You also clearly do not understand the word theory as it applies to science. A scientific theory is a conclusion or set of conclusions based on observable facts. It has separated out all the contradictions to give an explanation that makes sense based on the observed, repeated data. It is also open ended so that when new information comes along it is updated so that it becomes more accurate. Religion says this is the dogma and you must believe it or be expelled. It is anti-thought and anti-human. It expects us to not question the nonsensical and just believe. Fooey. BTW there are so few people who might actually be worthy of a place in heaven that it must be very uncrowded and none of them are likely to be people I want to spend eternity with. Take the notion of God. In the real world we know that a being’s nature is non-contradictory, IO it must behave according to it’s nature and it’s nature does not contain any contradictions. God on the other hand is supposed to have attributes which are contradictory such as omnipotence and omniscience. Note that omnipotence would already include omniscience and that if one can see everything including the future it means there is a limit on the omnipotence. It also means there is such a thing as fate which if it were true we wouldn’t know it. The entire code of religious values and its notion of a supreme and eternal being are nonsense. If one can believe that God is eternal, why can’t you accept that the universe is eternal. Since we already know that matter is eternal it can not be destroyed only changed, it is far more reasonable to believe that the universe is eternal and that it could not have been “created.” Humans have but one tool that makes them more powerful than other beings and that is the ability to reason. When anyone says that you can understand the world without reason and indeed discourages you from trying to reason to try and make sense, it must be rejected. Faith is the opposite of reason and prevents understanding. So you can claim as many adherents as you wish, it doesn’t matter, wrong is wrong.

5. Nick says:

Wow. This morons gets a lot of shit wrong.
    Like, first of all, Evolution IS fact. A theory in science is the leading hypothesis. Saying Evolution is just a theory and therefore not a fact is like saying gravity is just a theory and not a fact. You’re half right, bud. Close, but no cigar, fucker.

Second, as some others have mentioned, there isn’t even 3.6 billion people on AMERICA, much less 3.6 billion Christians. Where the fuck did he get his numbers?

“and we’re talking about a small number of really loud people that are trying to force their beliefs on the rest of the country”
    If you take out the word, “small” in that sentence, it could just as easily be applied to Christians as to Atheist.
    So, for example: “and we’re talking about a number of really loud people that are trying to force their beliefs on the rest of the country”
    Nice one, dipshit. You realise you CAN teach your children about Christianity in the privacy of your home, right? Christianity is much less complicated than science. Not to mention there are churches and sermons for a reason.

Did you know that 97.353768% of statistics on the internet are made up? Adding a decimal and another number does not further validate your statistic either.
    Please get hold of some real numbers in future.

“Take out the agnostics because if they’re really agnostic they won’t care what’s being taught in school”
    Just because they don’t have views either way doesn’t mean they think you should be shoving your views down other’s (atheists, muslims – basically just non-Christians) throats.

“I’m not going to force my beliefs on you.” Not Bobby you aren’t. But you ARE forcing your views on the poor, malleable children that enroll at American schools. How messed up is that?

“Like how about a theory that more than 50% of the world subscribes to?”
    There is no theory that 50% of the world subscribes to, much less Christianity. Around 30% of those in Britain believe in Christianity. The percentage is even lower in Australia, and in other countries that percentage is laughably low.
    Also, numbers of Christians are declining as time goes on. It is reasonable, logical and relieving that some day in the future, Christianity may cease to exist as we know it and become Pagan in its numbers (by Pagan I mean ancient religions like Greek and Egyptian, et cetera).

• Keith says:

Actually the census statistics for 2011 in Australia came up with a figure of 61.1% for those who identified as “christian” http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Lookup/2071.0main+features902012-2013
      I doubt we will ever know how many of those actually believe the stuff dished out by the buybull but I think we can safely say it is more than 30% of Autralia’s population. The report said that the numbers had declined since the previous census so there may be hope for less than 30% by the time I am occupying a plastic box on a shelf.

• Summer Wolff says:

I’m sorry but that last line was really offensive. If you want to criticize a religion, first read about it and get to know about it and then you can decide for yourself if something is true or not. We are all born with opinions, you are free to have your opinion and I am free to have an opinion. But I will not tolerate it when someone says that they hope that a religion that is followed by millions of people all around the world, including my self, ceases to exist. If science is so amazing, go ahead and question how the universe was created? What will happen when we die? If we do live on after death, will we ever see our families and friends again? etc. I’m sorry but are you going to believe what a bunch of scientists say about evolution or the big bang? They’re just theories. And I know that gravity is just a theory as well, but I’m pretty sure there is proof of it as I am sitting here on this couch and not floating around. How do you know that the ‘humans’ they found were really just many species of apes that had gone extinct. How do you know that the Big Bang was just an exploding star that managed to form an entire planet? If you throw a bunch of puzzle pieces on the ground, does it land perfectly pieced together? I don’t think so, I believe it involves someone to bit by bit piece it together over time? This is just my belief and I am not forcing it on anyone, or disrespecting any other religion. If you are not to sure about some things, or you want answers to your questions, which you can have your opinion on whether they are true or not, go to this website http://www.mormon.org.au/beliefs/plan-of-salvation and I can testify that the things that it says are true and help me know my role here on earth and helps me in everyday life.

• Dr of Pastalogy says:

“But I will not tolerate it when someone says that they hope that a religion that is followed by millions of people all around the world, including my self, ceases to exist. ”

Do you feel the same about the millions of American so-called Christians that would like to see Islam cease to exist?

• SillyKiwiMan says:

Can any of us say we’re surprised when anyone of a religious nature is a bloody great hypocrite?

I personally would love to see an end to all religions. I’d also like to see an end to pseudo-science, racism, bigotry in general, gaycism etc.

I hold out no hope of this.

• Summer Wolff says:

I’m sorry Nick but that last line was really offensive. If you want to criticize a religion, first read about it and get to know about it and then you can decide for yourself if something is true or not. We are all born with opinions, you are free to have your opinion and I am free to have an opinion. But I will not tolerate it when someone says that they hope that a religion that is followed by millions of people all around the world, including my self, ceases to exist. If science is so amazing, go ahead and question how the universe was created? What will happen when we die? How did we get here? etc. I’m sorry but are you going to believe what a bunch of scientists say about evolution or the big bang? They’re just theories. And I know that gravity is just a theory as well, but I’m pretty sure there is proof of it as I am sitting here on this couch and not floating around. How do you know that the ‘humans’ they found were really just many species of apes that had gone extinct. How do you know that the Big Bang was just an exploding star that managed to form an entire planet? If you throw a bunch of puzzle pieces on the ground, does it land perfectly pieced together? I don’t think so, I believe it involves someone to bit by bit piece it together over time? This is just my belief and I am not forcing it on anyone, or disrespecting any other religion. If you are not to sure about some things, or you want answers to your questions, which you can have your opinion on whether they are true or not, go to this website http://www.mormon.org.au/beliefs/plan-of-salvation and I can testify that the things that it says are true and help me know my role here on earth and helps me in everyday life.

• SillyKiwiMan says:

You’re an idiot.

I’d be more articulate, but there’s no point.

• Summer Wolff says:

I don’t know if you’ve heard of this before, but sometimes beliefs conflict with each other (wow that’s a surprise!) too bad get over it. Don’t go so low that you call someone a person of profound mental retardation having a mental age below three years and generally being unable to learn connected speech or guard against common dangers. (thefreedictionary.com) Seriously, it just makes you look like a jerk.

• Jo Switten says:

Can I be the jerk too? You are an idiot :)
          Long live his Holy Noodliness, the FSM! R’Amen! :)

• Rev. Wulff says:

Summer, what about imbecile? Can I call you an imbecile? What about dumbass?

Do you want some facts you can believe in? Here’s a few: The main purpose of religion is to divide, to set one group above another, to justify treating people that don’t adhere to the same beliefs like crap. The secondary purpose of religion is to make money. God provides answers to those in need, but he doesn’t buy the clergy that multimillion dollar beachfront property. The tertiary purpose of religion is to control the masses through fear, threats, and intimidation, and to discourage thought or debate.

There’s some facts for you to chew on.

• Jo Switten says:

All hail to Rev. Wulff! :) And to SillyKiwiMan :)

• SillyKiwiMan says:

I could have been nicer in my response to Summer Wolff.

I doubt it’s really going to upset them too much, as I get the feeling they’re a drive-by poster.

This is little more than them claiming to have a moral high ground, getting all indignant, making the usual claims about shit that they don’t understand, and finishing off with an advertisement.

I can testify that the mighty Wellington Hurricanes are the best super rugby team in the world, but that doesn’t make it (regrettably) true.

• Captain Birdseye says:

Thousands of religions and their gods have come and gone; it seems predictable that all religions will follow the same path.
        How could anyone think that fabricated Mormon dogma could possibly answer any existential questions?
        If one throws puzzle pieces repeatedly in the air, and, each time two pieces happen to land correctly, one glues them together, progress towards the solution is swift compared to waiting for the all-in-one throw, an incorrect analogy for evolution.

• Keith says:

I suggest that if you want answers to your questions you go to http://www.talkorigins.org/indexcc/whatsnew.html where there are rebuttals to the claims trotted out by creationists ad nauseam (I wish I could put that in italics). That is why people here can’t be bothered to answer your questions.
        I went to the website you indicated. The “answers” are not there: just a bunch of faith based statements built around the presumption that your god exists, that the bible is true and that Jesus was who the bible says he was.

6. Vindawg says:

“3.6 Billion adherents to faith”?!?
    Who exactly has “3.6 Billion adherents”?
    That number would have to include all:
    Christians: Catholics, Protestants, Eastern-Orthodox, Restorationists, Pentecostals, Gnostics, etc;
    Jews: Haredi, Hasidic, Orthodox, Conservative, Reform, Reconstructionist, Renewal, Cabala, etc;
    Muslims: Sunni, Shia, Ahmadiyya, NOI, 12ers, Sufi, Wahabi, etc.
    And we all know how well they all get along and how they all agree about faith.
    When exactly in the future will any faith have “3.6 Billion adherents”?

• Apprentice Frederic says:

Apt question, Vindawg! There’s an old sayig: “If you laid all the Christians in the world down side-by-side, they’d all just elbow one another to death.”

• TheFewTheProudTheMarinara says:

Give it another generation or two and I’d say “none of the above” will have 3.6 billion adherents.

• Rev. Wulff says:

At which time the xtians will scream about being a persecuted minority. (As opposed to just being persecuted, as they claim they’re being now.)

7. for lack of a better name says:

Barney you should really stop using fake statistics.
    Ted

8. Sure Bob Sure says:

“When you have 3.6 Billion adherents to your faith…”

He writes “when”, not “if”. Yes, we can do it, Pastas! The non-believers fear our advance, but deep-down know it is inevitable. Tremble, ye heretics, at the righteous mighty-ness of His Noodliness. And pass the sauce.