When you have 3.6 Billion adherents

Published November 27th, 2010 by Bobby Henderson

When you have 3.6 Billion adherents to your faith, we can start talking about teaching your ideas in school. When you think you’re right or not the decision on whether or not to teach creationism in school should come from the majority and the fact is 82.3% of Americans are christian and therefore believe that the earth was created by God and only 11.6 are unaffiliated with a religion, of which only a fraction are atheist or agnostic. Take out the agnostics because if they’re really agnostic they won’t care what’s being taught in school, and we’re talking about a small number of really loud people that are trying to force their beliefs on the rest of the country. How messed up is that. I’m not going to force my beliefs on you. I think that’s why they did the whole separation of church and state thing, so that a certain belief system, Evolution included, would not be forced upon the population. So teach evolution, go ahead, I know for a fact that Brigham Young University and Brigham Young University Idaho, two christian schools teach evolution in their required classes, but if you’re going to teach one THEORY, and I emphasize theory not fact, then give credence to other theories that bare any social impact on our society. Like how about a theory that more than 50% of the world subscribes to? Anyway, peace be the journey, I give you credit for some funny stuff, like pirates and global warming, but don’t pretend to take nothing seriously if you actually do have very serious agenda.
–Jordan

All religions go through a phase of perceived fakeness. Funny you bring up BYU.  Mormonism got a lot of criticism for years because Joseph Smith used seer stones to find the location of their original scriptures and translate them from unknown languages.  Some might say that sounds like BS.  But with time and pressure it becomes a religion.  Not unlike the formation of rocks.  I am a scientist first, remember.

480 Responses to “When you have 3.6 Billion adherents”

1. Tbanana says:

I think this calls for one of my favorite quotes:”never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers”

2. Sister Lotta Ricotta says:

I am a devout Pastafarian in the process of trying to preach The goodness of His Noodliness to my classmates, and I get condemmed to hell virtually everyday. Let me ask you this…If I am good in the eyes of The FSM, then how could end up in your hell? Enjoy your pearly gates,I have a beer volcano calling my name.
    R’Amen.

3. DaveyM says:

Theory -

1. A set of statements or principles devised to explain a group of facts or phenomena, especially one that has been repeatedly tested or is widely accepted and can be used to make predictions about natural phenomena.

Please pay special attention to “explain a group of FACTS,” I think this writer may be confusing the word theory with hypothesis.

4. Greg says:

Since when is fact decided by majority? If that were the case we’d have to believe the world is flat or that the earth revolves around the sun.

Anyone who feels evolution is questionable should read Dawkin’s The Greatest Show on Earth: The Evidence for Evolution.

The fact that ANYONE believes in ID is shocking to me.

• theFewtheProudtheMarinara says:

Unfortunately, people tend to cherry-pick the ideas that confirm their beliefs and will ignore hard cold facts that contradict them. I was stunned when I heard of Muslim scientists who would ignore test results which disprove some of the tenets of their faith, but then I found fundamentalist Christians are no better. Give them carbon-dated dinosaur bones and they’ll say “The devil put them there to test our faith! That proves what we believe in!”

5. Beatrice says:

Christianity represents the 33% of people in the world. Jesus was born right on this planet among billions and billions of planets in the Universe, created all the living beings on it and only has 33% of fans among them???

I believe in MY Flying Spaghetti Moster, it’s far better!

:P

6. Boo says:

I’m agnostic. I’m pretty sure I’d be annoyed as hell having to sit in a classroom and be forced to learn a religion I don’t believe in or care about.

7. Apostle Strozzapreti says:

Everyone should relax, remember the earth is only 6000 years old and dinosaurs never really existed….

8. Phil says:

It isn’t true, that 82.3 % of the Americans are Creationists. Most of them think like “Taking the bible seriously, but not literally.”