Number one on Kiva

Published November 24th, 2010 by Bobby Henderson

I want to bring your attention to Team FSM on Kiva again.  I am hoping we can make another push and become the #1 religious organization on Kiva.

I’ve talked about Kiva before, but for those who don’t know, Kiva is a non-profit whose mission is to give a leg-up to the 3rd-world through micro-lending.  You, the lender, choose who you wish to lend to in chunks of $25, and in some time that money is returned to you.

The stats are impressive:

• More than $170 Million in Loans since 2005
  • 98.99% payback rate
  • 208 Countries represented
  • Average loan size $380

I am a big fan of Kiva, so much so that for the last year I’ve asked everyone to give to Kiva instead of the Pirate boat fund.

I’ve lived in the 3rd world.  I’m not a fan of traditional charities. To be specific, I’m not a fan of people working in the business of charity. I chose my words carefully.  I don’t like the overhead; that is, the middlemen – and I don’t like the religious overtones.  I don’t support that culture of need and dependence.

Kiva is a different model and it is the most legitimate and genuinely positive charity that I know of and that’s why I keep bringing it up.

Please Join Us

8 Responses to “Number one on Kiva”

1. B. says:

There. I bought myself the best atheist christmas present there is – a good deed.

• Mr Cooper (all hail FSM) says:

athiest? nothing athiest about the fsm

• B. says:

Giving is Pasta

2. EJ says:

I grew up in a third world country. I have to agree that I dislike traditional religious charities. While not all groups are the same, the bad ones make it hard for everyone. “We will hand out food after we thank god/Jesus.” “We will dig your well after bible study.” Requiring religious inclusion before charitable work negates the charitable work.

Kiva on the other hand is fabulous! They give out microloans so people can make a better life for themselves. Most of the loan recipients from the country where I grew up are groups. This helps in success and the ability to pay back the loan. In addition to the improvements that the loans allow, there is the satisfaction of paying the loan back with your own hard work.

I have had a Kiva account for a couple of years. i never take our the money and just keep reinvesting. When I can i add more. When I can’t, I just turn it over. Thank you for promoting this wonderful cause!

3. Terter says:

Kiva is solid. It is good to see you all donating to this organization. Here is an interesting talk from the founder Jessica Jackley. http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/jessica_jackley_poverty_money_and_love.html

4. Fitzy says:

Maybe our “mission” statement needs to be fixed?

“We loan because: From the “NO SET NUMBER OF NOT COMMANDMENTS, SUGGESTIONS”….”

Doesn’t really ‘flow’, y’know?

5. Natalya Faidai says:

Someone necessarily assist to make severely articles I might state. This is the first time I frequented your web page and thus far? I amazed with the analysis you made to create this particular submit extraordinary. Fantastic process!

6. homepage says:

continuously i used to read smaller articles or reviews which
    also clear their motive, and that is also happening with this article which I am reading at this place.