19558 Views

Walking away from church

Published October 17th, 2010 by Bobby Henderson

I came across an interesting LA Times article:

Organized religion’s increasing identification with conservative politics is a turnoff to more and more young adults. Evangelical Protestantism has been hit hard by this development.

During the 1980s, the public face of American religion turned sharply right. Political allegiances and religious observance became more closely aligned, and both religion and politics became more polarized. Abortion and homosexuality became more prominent issues on the national political agenda, and activists such as Jerry Falwell and Ralph Reed began looking to expand religious activism into electoral politics. Church attendance gradually became the primary dividing line between Republicans and Democrats in national elections.

You can read it here

23 Responses to “Walking away from church”

1. Thursday says:

One of the media folk up here commented about PM Harper putting gay marriage to a vote: “We’ve already won”. Just pointing out that the division of people who were for or against gay marriage was clearly divided along age lines showed where time was going to be all that was needed for acceptance. Those institutions who build a public brand had better be either damn sure they’re right or be ready to change with the times when shown otherwise if they don’t want to fall into inconsequence.

• Keith says:

Actually, most of the people I know are in favour of gay marriage. They are all within fifteen years either side of my age ( I’m 55) so age is not really a factor in my experience. Neither, incidentally, is background. Only religious belief seems to be the stumbling block.

2. Foxmonster says:

God bless u!

3. piratesmee says:

I am not positive I have the quote exactly correct, but the operative language is: “Congress shall make no law respecting the establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof ….” If that does not obviously translate to separation of church and state I don’t know what language would. To say otherwise is to quibble. Conservatives who say the Constitution does not require separation of church and state are being dishonest, or trying to mislead. Period.

4. Tiera Hucks says:

My brother suggested I might like this website. He was entirely right. This post actually made my day. You cann’t imagine just how much time I had spent for this information! Thanks!

5. Hettie Gilliss says:

I truly appreciate this post. I¡¦ve been looking everywhere for this! Thank goodness I found it on Bing. You have made my day! Thx again