19895 Views

Separation Church and State

Published October 20th, 2010 by Bobby Henderson

retard

See Christine O’Donnell confused about the separation of church and state.

37 Responses to “Separation Church and State”

1. opiesysco says:

“Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.”

For those of you on this site and read my posts, I am sure you can guess I am an atheist. I detest religion and everything it stands for. But, I am an American first. I may not agree with religion, but I will defend anyone wanting to pratice their religion as long as it follows the Constitution.
    I do not agree with prayer in school or some government agencies pushing religion by hanging religious relics in courthouses, etc… If it were up to me I would wave my magic wand and make everyone smart and make them realize they have waisted their lives believing in such crap.

Christine O’Donnell was correct in saying the term “Seperation of church and state” is not in the constitution.
    The thing we have to think about on November 2nd which person running for office is going to stop taking my money. The one thing I learned when I started working was the phrase “Don’t fuck with my money”

• Vinny says:

The thing is, no-one ever claims the PHRASE is in the constitution. It’s only fundamentalists that bring it up, as if the fact that the specific phrasing isn’t used somehow means that separation of church and state as a general concept has no place in American society. It’s an argument that shows either the stupidity or the intense dishonesty of the speaker; in this case, I’d have to go with both.

• opiesysco says:

The fundamentalist christian, or jew, or muslim does not want the separation of church and state. They would like to see the United States as a theocracy. It is the non religious who want the separation there and the freedom from religion. I am all for that. But to put into context, the O’Donnell debate, it was Coons who brought up the separation of church and state. Also, he could not name the freedoms we have listed in the constitution. He really did look like a moron. Then again, most politicians do.

BTW, I agree with CanadaBr, O’Donnell would look very nice in a Pirate skirt.

• Vinny says:

My apologies, I didn’t state it as clearly as I should have. I meant it was only fundamentalists that bring up the claim about the -phrase- being included in the constitution, not that it’s only fundamentalists who bring up the topic of separation of church and state as a whole.

• Insightful Ape says:

I hope you were as uncompromising against the war in Iraq. Any idea how many billions it has cost?

2. CanadaBri says:

I want Christine O’Donnell to be my wench. I think she’d be cute in a Pirate skirt, with a saber in her hand.

• Thursday says:

Given how often she cuts herself with words, do you really want to give her a sabre?

• Keith says:

She couldn’t do much damage with a fencing sabre. If the worst comes to the worst, a plastic one will do.

3. Pastafarian Satan (The Floating Haggus Creature) says:

Literal interpretation of the passage: Government isn’t allowed to have one religious bias. Therefore they would be required to accommodate for ALL religions both in policy and education, which, if you take a look at their different values, is literally impossible. Just thought I’d get that out of the way.

4. Danimal says:

Is a reduction in brain function the cause or the effect of asking a 2000 year old zombie for help?

5. CanadaBri says:

To all my fellow Pastafarian Brothers & Sisters, especially those in Alaska, Arizona, Colorado and Delaware, just know that should things go very wrong for you in next weeks elections that there is plenty of room up here, north of the boarder, and you are welcome to join us up here in the land of the slightly freer, but home of the very heavily taxed. If you so find the need just let me know and I’ll leave a light on for you.
    PS. Our beer is stronger, and our strippers get totally naked.

• Ohio Pirate says:

CanadaBri,

What a wonderful invitation! However, I must decline as I believe if we do not establish a front line here in the states against this ignorance, then eventually it may take hold and threaten your beautiful and progressive country even more.

RAmen!

6. noodlyjames says:

The actual phrase “separation of church and state” doesn’t appear in the constitution. Luckily, not only do we have Jefferson’s clarification, as well as his bible.

We also have the Treaty of Tripoli (1790′s) (signed by EVERY member of Congress) which states:

“As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquility, of Mussulmen; and, as the said States never entered into any war, or act of hostility against any Mahometan nation, it is declared by the parties, that no pretext arising from religious opinions, shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries.”

Both the Jeffersonian Bible and the Treaty of Tripoli shut ANY arguments by religious twits (Excepting the Noodly one’s ubiquitous nature ……of course) straight down. ANY little quote mines are useless. We have a Treaty and bible REWRITTEN with no supernatural shenanigans in it. There are other books and other statements made by other founding fathers. But this will suffice.

• TECHNICALLY SPEAKING says:

Glad to see that many agree with my statement earlier in this thread. I got 25 “dislikes” for stating the truth. As usual, the truth doesn’t set you free, as per the Bible passage; it pisses you off. So there, smart asses; shove that in your bong (bung?) and smoke it!

• B. says:

Its also possible that they didn’t agree with your interpretation of what was important.

I prefer civil discourse before getting rude just because people might disagree and/or is misunderstanding. Maybe thats just me.

7. zebobbybird says:

To her credit, the constitution doesn’t say anything about separation of church and state, it says “…congress shall make no law respecting the establishment of religion or the free exercise thereof…”

oh, wait…

8. true believer says:

too bad O’donnell did not get elected, because if separation of church and state does go down in flames than we will be able to sue to have our real religion tought in schools as a legitimate choice to evolution!!!!! I can see the enlightened 9th graders now wearing pirate costumes and drinking beer!!! Maybe they are already teaching it now lol