Rally to restore sanity / March to keep fear alive

Published September 17th, 2010 by Bobby Henderson

well played

Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert have just announced a rally for October 30th that we should take part in.  They’re calling it the “Rally to Restore Sanity” / the “March to Keep Fear Alive”.

It would be great if we can have a large Pastafarian presence to support the cause.  Perhaps we could have a meetup while we’re there?

Here is some more info on the event:

The Daily Show announcement and event site

Colbert Report announcement and event site

*update*

I have a proposal for a meeting site for Pastafarians attending the Rally for Sanity on Saturday. Just north of the Rally site is the National Gallery of Art. Between the East and West buildings there is an open plaza with glass pyramids. I suggest we meet there at 11:00 am, and then stake out our spot for the noon rally. Admiral Qwerty, PKMKII and the UbiFamily from the forums are planning to attend, and hope there will be lots more Pirates coming aboard. Bring Signs!

Be there or Walk the Plank. YAAARRRGGH!

-Ubi Dubium

92 Responses to “Rally to restore sanity / March to keep fear alive”

1 2 3 4
  1. gatortarian says:

Because wanting limited government means you are not sane and promote fear?

• Atsap Revol says:

While my sentiments are similar to those of Gatortarian, I would hate to see this website degenerate into a political arena as it did before the Fall 2009 elections. The FSM is neither Democrat nor Republican.

• Bosn_C_Otter says:

nether is the rally. I know it might take some effort but try actually learning what the rally is about first.

• gatortarian says:

It’s a thinly veiled attempt to make fun of the TEA Party. He only wants to calm things down when his side is losing, when for the first time in my lifetime an actual movement to limit the federal government is gaining momentum. I say scream louder and throw out more pols until the size of government is restored to sanity. Sorry but being reasonable hasn’t worked. Sometimes you have to go to extremes (the FSM being one example).

• DML55 says:

Sorry, refusing to compromise and believing you have all the answers is just immature. Comparing Obama to Hitler is insulting and asinine. Trying to eliminate Social Security and Medicare when so many people depend on it is just cruel. Not allowing abortions when a young girl is pregnant by incest is heartless. Overturning a law that finally prohibits insurance companies from denying possibly lifesaving medical insurance because of pre-existing medical conditions is just wrong. This is what the Tea Party candidates have advocated, and these extremists should be made fun of.

• gatortarian says:

“Sorry, refusing to compromise and believing you have all the answers is just immature.”

Pot – kettle – black

• gatortarian says:

“Comparing Obama to Hitler is insulting and asinine.”

As is comparing Bush to Hitler

“Trying to eliminate Social Security and Medicare when so many people depend on it is just cruel.”

Name a politician advocating this.

“Not allowing abortions when a young girl is pregnant by incest is heartless”

“Overturning a law that finally prohibits insurance companies from denying possibly lifesaving medical insurance because of pre-existing medical conditions is just wrong”

Want to try again?

• Drained and Washed Clean says:

He is right. You don’t have to drive. It is a choice. You can ride a bike, take public transportation, walk, have someone pick you up… You are not forced by law to drive. If you decide to drive because those options do not work for you, then you have made the decision to drive and therefore must carry insurance. There is a difference between the government saying if you drive then you must have insurance and saying if you are alive then you must have insurance. That is not a choice.

• Insightful Ape says:

“Name a politician who advocates this”.
          Sharon Angle.

• gatortarian says:

Privatization is not the same as ending the program.

• Insightful Ape says:

No, it just means million currently getting service out. Just like the current health insurance system.
          But that is not even what she wants. She want to “phase them out”. Every man for himself.

• gatortarian says:

They have already spent all the money everyone has ever put into the program and then some. Your acting like there is a savings account with your retirement money in it. There isn’t. Right now we have 3 workers paying for every retiree (down from 5) and it’s only getting worse. What happens when each worker will be expected to pay for a retiree? Do you feel like giving half you income away simply because previous politicians spent all the money and demagogued the issue so it could never be fixed?

• Insightful Ape says:

See, this was your “vision” all along and you were trying to beat around the bush. I am glad now you are at least open about what you were thinking.
          And it is still cruel.

• gatortarian says:

So people who want to fix the system before complete collapse are cruel. So that must mean the people fighting reform, the people forcing the system to fail are not cruel? I want the system to survive long term, you want to system to continue on an unsustainable trajectory. Who’s the cruel one?

• Insightful Ape says:

I didn’t know “phase out” and “fix the system” were synonymous. To you they clearly are.

• gatortarian says:

You are the only one that used the words “phased out”.

I don’t know if anyone else has used that term BUT, if they did, I bet you it was referring to REPLACING the current system with something else so that when the NEW system was in place the OLD one would be phased out as it is redundant and no longer needed.

Wow the left is really good a demagoguery.

Stopping betting.
          You asked to name one politician trying to get rid of social security and medicare. Answer is Sharon Angle. “Phasing out” are her words.
          Ever heard of that thing called google? Use it. It is your friend.

• Insightful Ape says:

“The TEA party does not have a stance on abortion, their agenda is about limited government.”
          But if the government represents them, that is just fine.
          “Forcing someone to buy a product from a private company by threat of force is unconstitutional.”
          Car insurance?

• gatortarian says:

You don’t have to drive.

• Insightful Ape says:

Are you a communist advocating forced mass transportation for everyone?

• gatortarian says:

If you don’t see the difference there is no hope for you. If you chose to drive a car you must have insurance so that equates to forcing everyone who is alive to buy health insurance? I guess because you chose to live huh? If the government can force you to buy this product just for the privilege of being alive what can’t they force you to buy? Maybe instead of just having car insurance you will have to have a GM car as well?

• Insightful Ape says:

No, there is no hope for you either. I am not “choosing” to drive a car, I have to go to work. Public transportation is not reliable, as it is not in most places. I didn’t think it was a “privilege”.

• gatortarian says:

“Are you a communist advocating forced mass transportation for everyone?”

By the way it’s not the libertarians that want to force people to do things, it is as you say above, the communists. Oh but Obama isn’t one right? That’s just extremist propaganda!!!!

• Insightful Ape says:

Might you explain what alternative I have if according to you, “I don’t have to drive”?

• gatortarian says:

“I am not “choosing” to drive a car, I have to go to work. Public transportation is not reliable, as it is not in most places. I didn’t think it was a “privilege”.”

Driving is a privilege, it is clearly not a right. You don’t HAVE to have a job, you don’t HAVE to drive to the job you CHOOSE to have. I know all you pro abortion people think being alive is a privilege when it is in fact a right clearly articulated in the Declaration of Independence.

• Insightful Ape says:

“I know all you pro abortion people think being alive is a privilege”.
          “The TEA party does not have a stance on abortion”.
          You clearly do. Should I think everything else you are saying is also your personal opinion and has nothing to do with the tea party?
          “You don’t HAVE to have a job, you don’t HAVE to drive to the job you CHOOSE to have.”
          I guess we could all go on welfare.
          Now I am really beginning to think you are in no way representing the tea party, you are simply a web troll.

• gatortarian says:

I am a libertarian, I supported Ron Paul in the last election. I do not claim to represent the Tea party and I do not claim to want to force my personal views on abortion onto others. When it comes to the Federal government I want a return to strict constitutional limits. You may want to give away your liberty in the name of fake compassion but I do not.

“I got mine. Screw you”.

• Insightful Ape says:

“Wow the left is really good a demagoguery.”
          “And as usually since the lefts’ arguments have no merit, the inevitable relapse into name calling and character assassination.”
          Pot, meet kettle.

• gatortarian says:

I simply pointed out how you and Democrats for decades have demagogued the issue of SS so that we now find ourselves in desperate situation.

• Insightful Ape says:

“You accuse people who are trying to fix the system (or replace it) with wanting people to starve and die. The fact is it is the result of your fight against change that will lead to just that. It seems to only matter how you feel about issues, how much compassion you show, not about actual results.”
          Pot, meet kettle.

• Insightful Ape says:

“Like I thought, all out of logical arguments. I’m glad you FEEL good about yourself for your “enlighted” positions though.”
          I can assure you that is absolutely mutual.

• Glenn says:

“Public transportation is not reliable, as it is not in most places.”

Yo, Ape:

You are speaking from your aft porthole.
          You were once witty and clever.
          Now you seem to be thumping your chest and flinging your poo.
          It ain’t pretty.

-Glenn

• Sean Boyd says:

I’m pretty sure he was a Whig, actually!

• Atsap Revol says:

Well APE and GATOR, there goes the neighborhood. This kind of crap belongs on the op-ed page, not on this website.

• B. says:

Wanting a limited government when the current one doesn’t have power enough to deal with a huge financial deficit seems a bit insane, yes. Wanting to limit the governments power in the middle of a res-session, when people actually need the states help to survive, and thereby increasing the power of the corporations that has no interest in helping those that are deemed non profitable – seems equally insane.

But hey… its your country.

• theFewtheProudtheMarinara says:

The conservative plan basically comes down to “cut taxes”. Now, I’d like to pay nothing just as much as the next guy, but this has been a disaster twice. Don’t believe me? The two times unemployment has hit double digits in the U.S. came right after Reagan and Bush II got elected and cut taxes – mainly for the rich. They just don’t plow the money back into the economy. The poor HAVE to and the middle class reach for the stars.

• theFewtheProudtheMarinara says:

The “two times” is of course, since the Great Depression.

• Glenn says:

Try to pay $3200 per month for a house, plus $5600 per year in property tax, save enough money to put two kids through college, pay for a car, gas and electric, groceries, etc.

$250,000 per year is not rich.

Subtract $74,000 in taxes to support morons who are not smart enough to dig a ditch… it gets old.

I have no obligation to support my neighbor’s drug habit.

• B. says:

Food, drugs, same thing. Its not like you really need any of it, right?

• Danimal says:

You live in a neighborhood where you pay $3200 a month for your house, $5600 a year in property taxes, raise two kids, make 250k a year and your neighbor does drugs and collects welfare? WTH is this place?

• theFewtheProudtheMarinara says:

Welfare and Social Security – in spite of what Fox News may tell you – are not inventions of the Obama administration. They’ve been around for a couple generations.

So Glenn, what are we to do with those unfortunate enough to have been born average or below? Let them cannabalize each other? Not all of them are drug addicts, you know. The game has been fixed. The gap between rich and poor is widening fast. The game has been fixed.

Your compassion is running a little low if you can’t spare an extra 5% on what you earn over $250K. I wish I was paying a million dollars a year in taxes, since it would mean I was earning over $2.5M.

It could be worse Glenn! During those Stalinistic days of Eisenhower, Kennedy and Nixon you could have been paying 70%, not 40!

@theFewtheProudtheMarinara

Your right the game has been fixed. By the government! The more power you give them the more corrupted they become. Stop giving them power!

• theFewtheProudtheMarinara says:

Many people are afraid of the government, and while I’m not, I do wish they could live within their budget. But at the same time, I’m not one of those who advocate we let business do whatever the hell they want, either. I trust Big Business even less – we all know they’re just in it for the money, and have less scruples.

• gatortarian says:

The Department of Energy serves the power companies, the Department of Education serves the teachers, the Department of Labor serves the Unions, the Dept of Whatever serves the companies that are in that arena. The more the government does, the more big business wins.

• FSMSoldier says:

So glen tell me, you make 250k per year, have a nice house get to spend time with your two kids and see them thru college. Whereas you take someone like me who makes 32k per year, rents a decent house, and has one kid who I barely get to see because not only am I paying my taxes to support the down and out, I am giving away my time defending EVERYONES ability to see their kids and have those $250k jobs and live in those nice houses and send their kids to college and enjoy the constitutional rights they are given. How bout people stop complaining about what they have to give to others and volunteer it? That’s goes equally for the “lazy poor” republicans seem to think are the only ones on welfare and the rich who don’t seem to want to help out their fellow Americans…

• Eric says:

Sorry I’m late to this. But the screaming idiocy of Glenn’s post forces my hand.

When:
          + your house payment is nearly the median income of the entire country.
          and
          + you can actually pay that mortgage, put two kids through college and all the things that come with it.
          and
          + you pay the burden of $5600 in property tax & $74k in income tax (nearly double the median income).

Yes Glen, by any reasonable definition you are rich.

Less than 7% of the country makes over $100k.

Your view of the country and your privilege is incredibly blind and skewed.

2. Randy says:

Can we get that huge FSM float the Seattle Pastafarians use? We need something huge that will be sure to catch the media’s eye, and perhaps even get us a good plug on one of the shows.

3. Qwertyuiopasd says:

If any of you are forum members, or wish to join the forum and make plans with us, a few of us are planning on attending, and we have a thread here for organizational purposes: http://www.venganza.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15560

This event seems to me to have two main parts, obviously indicated by the “Rally for Sanity” with Stewart side or the “Keep Fear Alive” side with Colbert. I take it as a genuine gathering of people who want to make it clear that not everyone is one extreme or the other, and to call attention to the fact that at the very least, the media gives it’s attention to the loudest 10% of the population. The other part is satire, like any good thing Stephen Colbert does, and is mostly focused to make fun of Glenn Becks rally, and the general fear tactics of, well, Fox News. (Don’t worry, I know MSNBC is biased too.)

I think this is a great opportunity to show up as both people in favor of reasonable discourse and calm discussion, and as satirists. Maybe we’ll even see our Prophet? ;)

• Ubi Dubium says:

The UbiFamily is planning to attend, in full Pirate mode!

4. Doctor of Pastdivinity says:

Good ITLAPD to everybody, damn’it!!! Arrr!!!

5. Anonnymoose says:

Dammit.

I’m going to have to organise (damned spellchecker! some people spell it with an ‘s’) a counter non-rally in Australia for those who are unable to attend either rally.

I think I might call it “Rally to Recognise a Sensible Date Format”.

I’ll hold it on the 30th day of the 10th month in the 2010th year post the supposed birth of the son of Joseph the Overly Trusting and Mary of the Really Good Poker Face.

• Eshny says:

I live in Australia, and we could really use a counter-rally here! I would attend!

6. michaelz says:

Its the day before halloween …so if we dress up like pirates people will think we are really excited for Halloween.. …damnit….. I mean YARR.

• Atsap Revol says:

No, people will give you “trick or treat” candy.

• Ubi Dubium says:

Either they give it to us, or we’ll have to pillage it! Yarr!

7. JFro says:

FROBlog supports SANITY!!!

No, seriously, we do. Sanity be good.

8. Silli says:

I can’t wait to attend! These rallies eloquently mirror the spirit of Pastafarians. We Pastafarians are undeniably silly, but our antics are actually the candy coating to a pointed, significant central opinion. I hope the Flying Spaghetti Monster shall look favorably upon this event (assuming he is sober enough to see straight).

1 2 3 4